MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Sunday, December 28, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 25.0° F  A Few Clouds
Collapse Photo Bar

"It is a definite sin to trust in medical help and pills...

If it's news, but not politics, then it goes here.

"It is a definite sin to trust in medical help and pills...

Postby fisticuffs » Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:32 pm

and it is real faith to trust on the Name of Jesus for healing,"

Yeah about that. You'd think after losing one child they would have wised up. So it's their right to believe this nonsense but when it leads to the death of two children?

http://news.yahoo.com/2nd-child-pa-coup ... 13837.html
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Re: "It is a definite sin to trust in medical help and pills

Postby Galoot » Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:44 pm

Wow. You would have thought that the terms of their probation would have involved some regular home visits, or even taking the other kid away and putting it in a foster home. Some would say that is cruel, but the kid would at least be alive now.

ETA: In reading the article at ABC, it seems that the powers that be finally woke up, and took the other children of the couple--SEVEN of them--and put them all in foster care.
Galoot
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:41 pm

From the article:

Catherine Schaible's attorney, Mythri Jayaraman, cautioned against a rush to judgment, and said the couple are good parents deeply distraught over the loss of another child.

Fuck that. I'm going to rush to judgement. Many years in jail, no more kids, and they don't get there kids back. Period. Not one, but two of their kids dies with their bullshit religious crap. Galoot, I don't think that's cruel because we also don't know what sort of messed up life these kids are leading anyway. We've got people going to prison for stupid drug abuse and these people are able to kill another one of their kids.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Tue Apr 23, 2013 4:49 pm

I'll no doubt be pilloried for saying this, but I think the parents are victims too. They are victims of a misplaced belief, and unless one believes that they are callous and unfeeling about the loss of their child, they are suffering grievously for it.

Their remaining children should be protected from them and their beliefs. I'm not certain of exactly how justice should be served here. I notice they aren't in jail now on the theory that they're not a threat to anyone but their children, who have been taken away.
gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Sandi » Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:28 pm

gargantua wrote:I'm not certain of exactly how justice should be served here.

It seems to me that your religious beliefs cross the line when they threaten the health, or natural rights of another person, family or not. I haven't googled it, but I'm sure I could come up with many examples where the authorities stepped in to potentially save a child, when parents stood on religion alone.

Perhaps in this case no authority stepped in, because there was no political angle. Politics can make a world of difference as it does with AIDS. to whit, a HIV case concerning a new born baby. The parents had their child taken away because of what they might be thinking.

Thought Crime Trial Against Nagel/Martinez Family Adjourned

I have been wanting to post more on this, but will do so in a separate thread.
Sandi
Forum God/Goddess

Return to Headlines