MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Friday, September 19, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 71.0° F  Partly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

The gentrification of the second amendment.

Races for the Senate, U.S. House, etc. and other issues of national importance.

Re: The gentrification of the second amendment.

Postby snoqueen » Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:09 pm

Boring or not, this topic been viewed 5059 times as I write, and its partner the Gun Thread has been viewed 42412 times, far and away the most. Those are the first and third top scoring threads among the twenty most recent Active Topics as of 7 pm Thursday. (The second, curiously, is the North Sherman Avenue Proposal discussion.)

So the forum readership that votes with its clicks seems interested in, not bored with, the gun topics. For contrast, the topic that got the least views got 27 hits.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby wack wack » Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:16 am

Dangerousman wrote:The problem is that you assert much and support none of it with argumentation.

Sure I did, you just don't want to go back and read it.

Dangerousman wrote:I do not hold the 2nd Amendment to be biblical. The Bible I would encourage everyone to question and doubt. And you can disagree with the 2nd Amendment too if you wish, but you need to say why.

I did. Very clearly. Again, it's all here, all you have to do is read.

Dangerousman wrote:You can't just say "any reasonable person will agree" with you. Bullshit, reasonable people have reasons to believe something, not just your unsupported conclusions.

Sure I can; reasonable people use reason to come to beliefs. Pro-gunners use desire rather than reason to find their conclusions, that is unreasonable.

Dangerousman wrote:My "questionable" interpretations of the 2nd Amend. seem to be support largely by the Supreme Court. So it is your interpretation that seems off.

The Supreme Court is wrong too, despite Heller (another set of ideas that pro-gunners completely distort).

Dangerousman wrote:You think vehicles are more heavily regulated? That's pretty funny. 16 year olds are bringing cars onto school grounds by the millions.

This is so silly it doesn't really deserve a response, but I'll humor you: drivers are licensed, cars are registered, safety checked, pollution checked, and carry an entire set of laws regulating the use of cars and the behavior of drivers, while actually operating a vehicle as well as while away from the vehicle. Please, explain how guns are comparatively regulated.

How about answering a direct question, directly: do you object to repealing the Second Amendment with an amendment addressing today's needs and concerns regarding guns in the plain language of today? If so, why?
wack wack
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Fri Apr 26, 2013 2:24 pm

I was going to let this whole thing slide, but I can't avoid mentioning an anomaly (or even anachronism) between insisting on a strict 18th century definition of "regulated" but insisting on a 21st century definition of "arms" that includes weapons way beyond the founders' 18th century reality.

All in the same sentence, yet.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stella_Guru » Mon Apr 29, 2013 6:59 am

wack wack wrote: drivers are licensed, cars are registered, safety checked, pollution checked, and carry an entire set of laws regulating the use of cars and the behavior of drivers, while actually operating a vehicle as well as while away from the vehicle. Please, explain how guns are comparatively regulated.

Vehicle regulations compare to gun regulations in so much as they both have the effect, if not intent, to "prevent" ownership amoung "unpopular" populations. It is getting much tougher to drive my rusty, gas guzzling beater around town with a bottle between my legs, and a banned inexpensive gun under the seat.
Stella_Guru
Forum God/Goddess

Previous

Return to National Politics & Government