MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Wednesday, October 22, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 36.0° F  Fog/Mist
Collapse Photo Bar

Free lawn advice from your Forum friends

What are the things that puzzle, enrage, delight and tickle you as you go about your life in Madison?

Free lawn advice from your Forum friends

Postby bdog » Fri Apr 26, 2013 5:59 am

I don't. I maintain it at a minimum level to keep up with the Patels.

What if they are thinking the same thing???
Last edited by bdog on Mon Jun 03, 2013 8:50 pm, edited 3 times in total.
bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Do you really give a shit about your lawn?

Postby fisticuffs » Fri Apr 26, 2013 6:51 am

My target level for yard beautification this year is "not embarrassing".
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:27 am

I do. I like it when radical islamists hate me because my lawn is so perfectly beautiful.
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Mean Scenester » Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:09 am

Last year's drought really did a number on my lawn, which was in pretty piss-poor shape to begin with. I like gardening just fine, but keeping a manicured lawn is last on my list of priorities. I can put a heroic amount of time into trying to nurse it back to health or ... you know ... I could spend that time being a proper father to my kids. So my neighbors who already look down their noses at me can pretty much go fuck themselves. At best maybe I'll seed the dead spots with clover and let that take over.

Embracing a non-native species as ground cover has got to be about the dumbest ploy we've ever collectively bought into as a society. Whenever I see the old guys on my block doing their weekly diagonal drag over their lawns, I can help but think what a bunch of fucking suckers they all are. Just how much effort does one have to expend on maintenance before one comes to the realization that the project was a bad idea from the get-go?
Mean Scenester
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:33 am

There is a psychology that after you put a certain amount of money/energy into something, all that effort was wasted if you abandon it. As the WOPR said in WarGames: "The only way to win is not to play."
gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:05 am

I don't do much more than mow/trim/edge, but I prefer my lawn to not look like a blasted moonscape, which it does in places following last year's nonsense. We'll probably call in a couple yardcare concerns for some free consultations just to get things back to status:alive.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:25 am

I am, pretty much, the Patels when it comes to lawn.
Embracing a non-native species as ground cover has got to be about the dumbest ploy we've ever collectively bought into as a society.

My neighbor Mr. Poison got a new dog over the winter, and he loves the hell out of it. He told me he wasn't putting down lawn fertilizer and ant poison any more on account of the little dog. I just grinned and said good plan.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:32 am

snoqueen wrote:My neighbor Mr. Poison

Ha, I immediately got this image in my brain

Haven't thought about that in years.

My lawn is a crap fest. I would love to go all natural prairie on it, but that takes even more work. There have been times I've let my lawn get so bad, it seemed as though no one lived there.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:54 am

Mr. Yuck! I haven't thought of him in years either.

Mr. Poison is a good guy. He's not a Mr. Yuck. He's actually nice enough to adjust his value system out of love for his new dog, and that makes him a winner in my reckoning.

If he keeps it up I'll even give him a different name.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby DCB » Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:21 am

Stebben84 wrote:My lawn is a crap fest. I would love to go all natural prairie on it, but that takes even more work.

The initial investment (in time and $$$) is certainly greater. But upkeep is pretty minimal after that. Or at least, I find the yard 'work' much more rewarding than mowing.
DCB
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:22 am

Of course I already have signs in my yard that say "VIOLENT JIHADISTS: KEEP OFF".

But I'm thinking of adding little signs with scull and crossbones symbols and the message: I don't let my toxic lawn chemicals drift onto your dog; please don't let your dog crap on my perfect lawn.

EDIT: to fix pictographical error
Last edited by Meade on Fri Apr 26, 2013 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jman111 » Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:28 am

Larry wrote:some fucking drivel about jihadists

Sure was a short "week".
jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:35 am

I realized recently that while all my neighbors look down my nose at me for letting bushes and weeds run rampant over the deadspots that once were lush, chem-coated grass, I am just as bad, looking down my nose at them for their ludicrous priorites and anal need that no blade shall ever be out of place. That said, they are wasting time and money, not to mention destroying the environment, what with their chemical applications and seemingly non-stop use of gas-powered lawn-tending machines. At least what I don't do is harmless.

I had prairie on one side of the house that the ex-wife planted. It looked nice for maybe 3 years. Then the weeds moved in and if I let it go, one of the neighbors complains to the city and they send me a threatening letter (it violates the height restriction, doncha know.) So now I just mow the whole thing down regularly, mowing around the handful of prairie flowers that still occasionally bloom.

If I had all the money in the world, yeah, I'd hire someone to maintain my yard and make it more appealing. But more appealing would never mean "nice grass". First, in the backyard, install a bocce court. Then, a nice little garden. Probably a BBQ pit too. The front yard would definitely be turned into either plain ol' prairie or a maze of native shrubs. Either way, there ought not to be anything that needs mowing. As of now, though, I need money to eat and pay real bills, so there's no way I'm spending anything on a yard I don't really care a whit about.
Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:46 am

Prof. Wagstaff wrote:I realized recently that while all my neighbors look down my nose at me for letting bushes and weeds run rampant

Well, okay. Bad enough you don't keep your yard trimmed. But with neighbors like that, I sure hope you keep your nose hairs trimmed!
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:42 pm

Meade wrote:
Prof. Wagstaff wrote:I realized recently that while all my neighbors look down my nose at me for letting bushes and weeds run rampant

Well, okay. Bad enough you don't keep your yard trimmed. But with neighbors like that, I sure hope you keep your nose hairs trimmed!

Haha! The guy who cannot spell "skull" just gave me a hard time for making a typo! That's some real good on-topic stuff you're posting.
Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Town Vibe