MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Thursday, July 24, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 69.0° F  Fair
Collapse Photo Bar

Shirley Sherrod

Races for the Senate, U.S. House, etc. and other issues of national importance.

Re: Shirley Sherrod

Postby rabble » Fri Jul 23, 2010 3:59 pm

Comrade wrote:If one were able to set partisanship aside and look at this objetively, the conclusion is apalling and deeply disturbing

Oh?

I'm about as partisan as a person can get, and I'm appalled and very disturbed.

Whatever one wants to say about Fox, the important thing here is that the Obama administration has proven it will throw its own under the bus in an attempt to appease a segment that will never, ever, be appeased. And they'll do it in a heartbeat. And THEN they'll settle down and ask questions. It's going to take a long time before anyone believes this administration will stand by its supporters, or up to Glenn Beck.

Glenn Beck. Glenn freakin BECK! The USDA cowered before Glenn Beck. I'm still in shock.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Fri Jul 23, 2010 8:26 pm

If we put a happy face on it, this could be the wakeup call the administration (and plenty of other people) needed. They've been buying this garbage for way too long.

I hope.

But not a lot.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby mocofirst » Fri Jul 23, 2010 8:56 pm

who cares.
mocofirst

Postby Average Joe » Fri Jul 23, 2010 9:09 pm

mocofirst wrote:who cares.

Insightful commentary. Good job and thanks for sharing.
Average Joe
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Leroy Gates » Fri Apr 26, 2013 2:56 pm

Andrew Breitbart vindicated on Pigford after years of attacks from Media Matters and others

""...an examination by The New York Times shows that it became a runaway train, driven by racial politics, pressure from influential members of Congress and law firms that stand to gain more than $130 million in fees. In the past five years, it has grown to encompass a second group of African-Americans as well as Hispanic, female and Native American farmers. In all, more than 90,000 people have filed claims. The total cost could top $4.4 billion.

From the start, the claims process prompted allegations of widespread fraud and criticism that its very design encouraged people to lie: because relatively few records remained to verify accusations, claimants were not required to present documentary evidence that they had been unfairly treated or had even tried to farm. Agriculture Department reviewers found reams of suspicious claims, from nursery-school-age children and pockets of urban dwellers, sometimes in the same handwriting with nearly identical accounts of discrimination.

Yet those concerns were played down as the compensation effort grew. Though the government has started requiring more evidence to support some claims, even now people who say they were unfairly denied loans can collect up to $50,000 with little documentation.

As a senator, Barack Obama supported expanding compensation for black farmers, and then as president he pressed for $1.15 billion to pay those new claims."

"“It was the craziest thing I have ever seen,” one former high-ranking department official said. “We had applications for kids who were 4 or 5 years old. We had cases where every single member of the family applied.” The official added, “You couldn’t have designed it worse if you had tried.”"

"President George W. Bush was unreceptive to farmers’ repeated protests. But Congress was not: legislators from both parties, including Mr. Obama as a senator in 2007, sponsored bills to grant the late filers relief."

"Public criticism came primarily from conservative news outlets like Breitbart.com and from Congressional conservatives like Representative Steve King, Republican of Iowa, who described the program as rife with fraud. Few Republicans or Democrats supported him. Asked why, Mr. King said, “Never underestimate the fear of being called a racist.”"
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/04/26/us/farm-loan-bias-claims-often-unsupported-cost-us-millions.html?_r=2&pagewanted=all&
Leroy Gates
Forum Addict

Postby rabble » Fri Apr 26, 2013 3:04 pm

So that vindicates Breitbart for destroying Sherrod, huh?

You got a really weird logic process.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Fri Apr 26, 2013 3:10 pm

There was a reason why God recalled Breitbart, even though he was only in his early 40s.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Fri Apr 26, 2013 3:21 pm

Ha ha ha. Two immediate trollish comments. Obviously, neither Hen V or rabble bothered to read the NYT article Leroy linked to. What a farce of board moderation on JJ's part.
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Fri Apr 26, 2013 3:42 pm

Insightful commentary. Good job and thanks for sharing.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Fri Apr 26, 2013 3:45 pm

Leroy Gates wrote:Andrew Breitbart vindicated on Pigford after years of attacks from Media Matters and others

Thanks for the cut and past Parrot Gates.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Fri Apr 26, 2013 5:00 pm

Well, if the troll thinks I didn't read the article, I guess I should feed him.

I did read it. Most of it, anyway. Couldn't find anything about Sherrod.

Anyone want to tell me why it belongs in this thread?
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stella_Guru » Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:36 pm

rabble wrote:Whatever one wants to say about Fox, the important thing here is that the Obama administration has proven it will throw its own under the bus in an attempt to appease a segment that will never, ever, be appeased. And they'll do it in a heartbeat. And THEN they'll settle down and ask questions. It's going to take a long time before anyone believes this administration will stand by its supporters, or up to Glenn Beck.

DLC insiders are experts at "processing" people like Sherrod when they don't follow script.
Stella_Guru
Forum God/Goddess

Previous

Return to National Politics & Government