MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Friday, August 22, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 83.0° F  Mostly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Bill Maher calls it a police state?

Races for the Senate, U.S. House, etc. and other issues of national importance.

Bill Maher calls it a police state?

Postby Bludgeon » Sat Apr 27, 2013 3:53 pm

Bill Maher calls it a "police state".

I thought this was interesting at a lot of different points in the clip. Like Bill, two weeks later and I still can't shake the creepy, military-police-y kind of feeling you get seeing what we'd call police riding around in what we'd describe as military gear. It's ironic we're having this crazy gun control debate about the public, and some of the same soccer moms can see a platoon of assault weapons...

Same point Bill Maher's making, that's my point too. If you check out nothing else from the video, check out at least the part where the cops line up and just blast this guy's boat to pieces. \

Not saying, nor is Maher, that we are literally living in 'a police state'; just that two weeks reflection has not made me any less uneasy about seeing this reaction.
Bludgeon
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Bill Maher calls it a police state?

Postby david cohen » Sat Apr 27, 2013 4:47 pm

people were blowing shit up in Boston. IEDs being lobbed at regular cops from a car. You think Andy Griffith and Barney Fife are just gonna roll up? I don't see this as a police state whatsoever. More like equal force being demonstrated as needed. It's not as if this was Kent State.
david cohen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Sat Apr 27, 2013 7:05 pm

I guess I'm not sure what I'm supposed to be concerned/surprised by. After 9-11 and authorization of the Department of Homeland Security, wouldn't we expect to find a response team similar to this in any major city in the US? Madison got a sweet, high tech bus from the Feds that's some sort of mobile command center. And this picture would have been taken about three days after the bombing?
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Sat Apr 27, 2013 7:57 pm

I don't have any problem at all with looking back at any and every aspect of the bombing and the response to it: police, court, city government, anything else.

But being "creeped out" by the show of force is pretty subjective. You need to have actual criticisms of what happened and proposals for how it should be done better next time in order to make any kind of point here.

Nobody likes to have the daily activities of an entire city disrupted in this way, but if the response had been very weak, small, invisible, or ineffectual, or if there were numerous anecdotes of unprovoked abusive or overbearing police behavior, then there would be something substantial to complain about. Boston did very well, as far as we can tell from 2000 miles away.

If in another city there is reason to believe the police would be less civic-minded and more out-of-control, now is the time to address those problems on a local or state level. In some cities the public and the police department have a more problematic relationship. Historically, I think Milwaukee might be one of those cities, particularly in the opinion of its African-American citizens.

However, if the people of Milwaukee respond by raising an outcry for more weapons in the hands of untrained, unidentified civilians, I'll be surprised. They (and their nearby suburbs) aleady had a bit of trouble with that recently.
Last edited by snoqueen on Sat Apr 27, 2013 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Steve Vokers » Sat Apr 27, 2013 7:59 pm

Weren't the people of Boston out in the streets cheering the cops after it was all over?
Steve Vokers
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Sat Apr 27, 2013 8:24 pm

Thank God the lock-down was lifted so that the boat owner citizen felt free to go outside and check his boat. Too many citizens believe the police will protect them from murderers like the Tsarneav brothers. Sheep. That belief makes everyone less safe.
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Sat Apr 27, 2013 8:31 pm

Steve Vokers wrote:Weren't the people of Boston out in the streets cheering the cops after it was all over?

Yes. All of the 4,522,858 people of Greater Boston were out in the streets cheering the cops after it was all over. Good point.
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Sat Apr 27, 2013 8:35 pm

snoqueen wrote:Nobody likes to have the daily activities of an entire city disrupted in this way

No one except terrorists. Terrorists love it. In fact, it's their main objective.
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby acereraser » Sun Apr 28, 2013 2:00 am

Meade wrote:
snoqueen wrote:Nobody likes to have the daily activities of an entire city disrupted in this way

No one except terrorists. Terrorists love it. In fact, it's their main objective.

[joke redacted]
acereraser
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stella_Guru » Sun Apr 28, 2013 8:36 am

Meade wrote: Too many citizens believe the police will protect them from murderers like the Tsarneav brothers. Sheep. That belief makes everyone less safe.

Maintaining a ramped up level of fear by these bloated, over-funded police agencies is essential in the "new green economy."
Stella_Guru
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:13 am

"Don't pick a city where nine out of ten people are related to a cop."
Conan O'Brien
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Sun Apr 28, 2013 10:13 am

It's true and interesting that every major city police department is prepared in this way to handle emergency events, and the Boston bombing was definitely that. With the suspects at large, the city needed to mobilize and protect its citizens and did so with all the resources at hand.

So what determines deployment of the tanks? Explosives? Or just when large numbers of people are in danger on the streets of their neighborhoods?

I don't know much about Boston, but I wonder if there are parts of that city that are anything like Chicago's south side, where gun violence is a plague. I wonder why the daily shootings and death tolls in some neighborhoods aren't enough to bring out the armored tactical units. Kids walking home from school are prepared for gunfire, people can't sit on their porches for fear of getting shot. That situation seems to me very similar to having a mad bomber on the loose.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Sun Apr 28, 2013 11:28 am

Meade wrote:Thank God the lock-down was lifted so that the boat owner citizen felt free to go outside and check his boat. Too many citizens believe the police will protect them from murderers like the Tsarneav brothers. Sheep. That belief makes everyone less safe.

When I first read this I thought Marvell wrote it.

Marvell, how many sock puppets have you got?
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Steve Vokers » Sun Apr 28, 2013 1:17 pm

jjoyce wrote:It's true and interesting that every major city police department is prepared in this way to handle emergency events, and the Boston bombing was definitely that. With the suspects at large, the city needed to mobilize and protect its citizens and did so with all the resources at hand.

So what determines deployment of the tanks? Explosives? Or just when large numbers of people are in danger on the streets of their neighborhoods?

I don't know much about Boston, but I wonder if there are parts of that city that are anything like Chicago's south side, where gun violence is a plague. I wonder why the daily shootings and death tolls in some neighborhoods aren't enough to bring out the armored tactical units. Kids walking home from school are prepared for gunfire, people can't sit on their porches for fear of getting shot. That situation seems to me very similar to having a mad bomber on the loose.

Pressure cooker bombs aren't protected by the second amendment.

We can't have the government going after people with guns, because freedom...
Steve Vokers
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Sun Apr 28, 2013 1:26 pm

Steve Vokers wrote:Pressure cooker bombs aren't protected by the second amendment.

Don't tell that to DMan.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to National Politics & Government