MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Saturday, August 23, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 75.0° F  Fog/Mist
Collapse Photo Bar

Did Chuck Chvala cost Scott Thornton a council seat?

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.

Did Chuck Chvala cost Scott Thornton a council seat?

Postby jjoyce » Sun Apr 28, 2013 10:18 am

Craver asks the question many have been discussing for a month now: Was Chuck Chvala responsible for the mailer in the Marsha Rummel race?

http://host.madison.com/ct/news/local/w ... 2ef77.html

People I've talked to believe the answer is yes. They also feel that it might have been the most clumsy, most poorly executed campaign move ever.

Most important: many believe that it pushed anyone who was still stradding the fence in that district into the Rummel camp (the New Orleans Takeout kerfuffle also helped).
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Did Chuck Chvala cost Scott Thornton a council seat?

Postby gargantua » Sun Apr 28, 2013 10:42 am

I don't know if Chvala was involved in the mailing, but the answer to the thread title is almost certainly not. Alder Rummel won with about 70% of the vote. Thornton was going to lose anyway. I'm sure the mailing cost him votes, but THAT many? C'mon man!
gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Sun Apr 28, 2013 11:03 am

No way. Ald Rummel is one of the most secure alders on the council. I think this is mostly about trashing Chvala in order to save face for Thornton.

The way to unseat an established alder was shown in the Bruer district. That wasn't happening here.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Sun Apr 28, 2013 6:15 pm

I think those "We hate Marsha" ads gave her some extra points in an election she already had in the bag, yeah.

That's quite a lot of fact stretchin', assumptionatin', insinuatin', and circumstantiatin' goin' on in that there article, though.

And Chvala is such a political babe in the woods that he would have considered that mailing tactic to be viable. Huh.

Sno's theory that this is a way save face by trashing somebody else is a lot more believable. You can almost picture the brainstorming session.

What can we do? Can we blame somebody else? How? We've got those mailers and nothing else. Hey! We can tie those mailers to CHVALA!

You can?

Yeah. Takes about seventeen complicated steps but we can do it. And he owns a building with an occupant who's having some noise trouble.

Fantastic. Let's go with that.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Sun Apr 28, 2013 8:22 pm

Well, I wasn't exactly saying what you are saying though we're on the same side of the fence. I have zero opinion as to whether Chvala had anything to do with the mailers. Zero.

We don't have enough evidence to say. If further information comes to light we could find out with more certainty, if anyone actually cares. The election is over and was decisive.

The rest of what I said we can agree on: Thornton did not campaign aggressively for months ahead of time, which seems to be what it takes to have a ghost of chance of unseating an established incumbent alder. Maybe he wants to run again, so he's trying to improve his image by blaming someone else for the very poor campaign mailing. In a district full of engaged and aware voters like that one, that tactic is not likely to get a lot of traction. He isn't pulling a mini-Manski here, but it's not making him look any better and probably won't be forgotten.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby narcoleptish » Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:52 am

snoqueen wrote:The way to unseat an established alder was shown in the Bruer district. That wasn't happening here.

Thornton at least came to my door early in the campaign. 5 years in my house and I've never met Marsha. Call me uninformed, but I voted for Thornton simply because I met the guy and he seemed genuine.
narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:55 am

Marsha's never come to my door but I've met and chatted with her a few times because she's usually there at neighborhood meetings and info sessions.

Thornton's never been to my door either. Don't remember him at any of those meetings though. Was he there and I missed it?

I probably could have met him at one of the Willy St reconstruction meetings but they kept ignoring my schedule when they had them so I had to make do with the mailing lists et cetera. So I have to assign part of the blame to house repairs and grandchildren.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby MarcoPolo » Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:30 pm

In her three contested elections, Rummel has never gotten less than 70 percent of the vote and had a margin of 1500 votes this past spring. Some of her fellow council incumbents had vote margins that were a quarter of that, and even Strasser who upended Bruer only beat him by 300 or so votes. She would be a tough out for almost anybody, even more so now that she has begun to attract strong support from more traditional liberal democrats/progressives not so tied to more independent political movements.
MarcoPolo

Postby peripat » Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:52 pm

Several of my neighbors who spend more time on neighborhood politics than I have expressed a certain dissatisfaction with Marsha's style and goals & actively campaigned for Thornton whom they found easier to work with. Just because they were so passionate I'd have voted for Thornton if not for those mailings
peripat
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Fri May 03, 2013 7:18 pm

Heavy-handed Chuck still wants to be a player.

Senate Minority Leader Chris Larson is one of the most quotable members of the Legislature. But ask about one of his predecessors, disgraced former Senate Majority Leader Chuck Chvala, and the young Milwaukeean gets downright tight-lipped.

Back in November, Larson, 32, was elected leader of the Senate Democrats, edging out long-time Sen. Jon Erpenbach of Middleton.

At the time, rumors flew that Chvala, who was implicated in the legislative caucus scandal of the early 2000s, had twisted arms to maneuver a victory for the youngest Wisconsin legislative leader since World War II.

Asked about that rumor during a meeting of the State Journal editorial board Wednesday, the normally loquacious Larson demurred.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Return to Local Politics & Government