MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
Thursday, July 24, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 56.0° F  Fair
Collapse Photo Bar

Madison students present Bag It (award-winning environmental

Comment on the Isthmus movie reviews, write one yourself, discuss upcoming flicks, recent DVDs, and other realms in the world of cinema.

Madison students present Bag It (award-winning environmental

Postby ivotedforcarlweathers » Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:15 pm

Madison East’s Mass Media and Lake View third graders to present award-winning documentary

Bag It at Barrymore Theatre on May 6th, 2013 at 7:00 PM

Daniel Walkner’s mass media class at Madison East High School, along with Erica Krug’s third grade class from Lake View Elementary, have announced that they will be presenting a showing of the award winning documentary Bag It at The Barrymore Theatre (2090 Atwood Ave.) in Madison, WI on May 6th at 7:00 PM. The film will cost $5 for students and $10 for adults. The film shows one man’s struggles with his, and society’s, overwhelming reliance on plastic even though it is nearly impossible to degrade and is considered by many to be a toxic waste.

“Our class became interested in plastic after discussing the possible ban of plastic bags in Madison,” said senior Justice Harmon. “We got excited and were interested in finding solutions to the problem. The deeper we inquired, the more complicated the issue became.”

Students began working on public service announcement posters and videos, and the “Ban the Bag” meme rose to the forefront. While researching the toxicity of plastic bags, a few students discovered the Bag It documentary. “We watched the trailer of Bag It, and after we realized that this was something we could get others interested in, we wanted to get other students, parents, and the public involved,” said junior Muhammed Achker.

Erica Krug’s class became interested in the problems of plastic after reading Slyvia Earle’s Life in the Ocean: the story of Sylvia Earle. Earle, an oceanographer and aquanaut, tells of the beauties and tragedies of the ocean. Ms. Krug’s students knew that they needed to take action to help educate others about the plight of the sea. Margot, one of Ms. Krug’s students, commented “It takes 1000 years for a plastic bag to degrade. Plastic bags haven't been around that long. Not even one plastic bag has degraded yet."

The film will be shown to help concerned citizens who are seeking solutions to this important issue. Are we too reliant on plastics? Do we know what kind of effect they are having on our health and well-being? And most importantly, what can we do to help? Senior Andrew Trumbower said, “Before talking about this, I knew very little about what happened to our wastes and recyclables. Now I know: when you throw things away, there is no away.”

The film will be followed by a panel discussion by students, school staff, and environmental advocates to discuss the many facets of the plastic issue and to determine possible solutions that we can enact in our own communities. All profits from the film will be used for Ms. Krug’s class to fund a book of poetry about the ocean that the students will sell to raise funds for Sylvia Earle’s charity Mission Blue. Details about Mission Blue can be found here: http://www.thesealliance.org/

Tickets are available online at barrymorelive.com, by calling the Barrymore at (608) 241-8633, or they can be purchased at the box office on the night of the show after 6:00 PM.

More details about the film can be found here: http://www.bagitmovie.com/
ivotedforcarlweathers
Forum Addict

Re: Madison students present Bag It (award-winning environme

Postby ivotedforcarlweathers » Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:27 pm

ivotedforcarlweathers
Forum Addict

Postby Sandi » Tue Apr 30, 2013 1:45 pm

Why pay $10 when you can watch it on You Tube free?
Sandi
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Tue Apr 30, 2013 2:34 pm

Sandi wrote:Why pay $10 when you can watch it on You Tube free?

Geez, I don't know, maybe you want to support a good cause. Or you can just be a grouch and stay at home.

ivotedforcarlweathers wrote:All profits from the film will be used for Ms. Krug’s class to fund a book of poetry about the ocean that the students will sell to raise funds for Sylvia Earle’s charity Mission Blue. Details about Mission Blue can be found here: http://www.thesealliance.org/
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby O.J. » Tue Apr 30, 2013 2:40 pm

Janesvillains don't take kindly to good causes.
O.J.
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ivotedforcarlweathers » Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:07 pm

Sandi wrote:Why pay $10 when you can watch it on You Tube free?

This is hilarious to me. I stopped coming here because no matter what the event, some random tool, who had no intent on attending said event, would claw out of the woodwork and chuck a hateball into the proceedings.
The kids from my class did all the legwork on this, so I hope at least a few people will support the East High and Lake View Elementary!
Hats off to those who defended our honor....
ivotedforcarlweathers
Forum Addict

Postby Sandi » Wed May 01, 2013 1:16 am

O.J. wrote:Janesvillains don't take kindly to good causes.

No, Janesvillians know the distinction between what is a good cause, and what is a feel-good-about-yourself cause.
Sandi
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Wed May 01, 2013 8:47 am

Sandi wrote:No, Janesvillians know the distinction between what is a good cause, and what is a feel-good-about-yourself cause.

Sure. Why the hell would we want to support kids who are trying to do something that makes a difference. If you don't think plastic pollution in the ocean is a problem, then you're living in a black hole. Maybe if they ran a 3 person forum you would care.

ivoted, I can't make the film, but is there a way I can make a donation for the class. I would like to make it in honor of Sandi. Let me know if there is somewhere I can send it.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Sandi » Wed May 01, 2013 1:33 pm

Sure. Why the hell would we want to support kids who are trying to do something that makes a difference.

That is up to you.

When I can avoid it, I don't use anything made of plastic. That is a positive contribution that makes a difference to the problem. Hopefully seeing a movie will help too. If not, at least they will feel good.
Sandi
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Wed May 01, 2013 2:20 pm

You damn kids are gonna learn there ain't no feelin good around here and the sooner you learn it the better! Now get off my lawn! And stop using plastics! Except when you can't avoid it.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Wed May 01, 2013 2:22 pm

ivotedforcarlweathers wrote:...claw out of the woodwork and chuck a hateball into the proceedings.

I had to quote that. It just makes me feel good.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ivotedforcarlweathers » Wed May 01, 2013 5:24 pm

rabble wrote:
ivotedforcarlweathers wrote:...claw out of the woodwork and chuck a hateball into the proceedings.

I had to quote that. It just makes me feel good.

Well, I am an English teacher, so I tried to say it artfully.
ivotedforcarlweathers
Forum Addict

Postby ivotedforcarlweathers » Mon May 06, 2013 11:06 am

Tonight's the night!
Free reusable canvas bags for the first 110 people through the door!
Doors open at 6, showtime is 7....
ivotedforcarlweathers
Forum Addict

Return to Movies