MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Saturday, August 23, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 77.0° F  Fog/Mist
Collapse Photo Bar

On-Topic Week, presented by TDP

Comments on the paper, the website, the mobile site and all other Isthmus-generated products go here.

Re: On-Topic Week, presented by TDP

Postby fisticuffs » Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:30 pm

Did the week end early?
viewtopic.php?f=36&t=57676
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:33 pm

Lasted pretty much till about a quarter way through the internet prostitution thread, didn't it?

I guess it depends on what your definition of "On-Topic" is.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:35 pm

Posts about who is or is not a troll or feeding the trolls will be deleted and the accounts of those who post them suspended. Posts from those deemed trolls or troll feeders by TDP admins will be deleted and the accounts of those who post them deactivated.

Without posting who is, or is not a troll it seems to me the post I linked to should at least be evaluated for compliance.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Thu Apr 25, 2013 2:38 pm

fisticuffs wrote:Without posting who is, or is not a troll it seems to me the post I linked to should at least be evaluated for compliance.

It's hard to believe someone who plays in a rock band typed that.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Thu Apr 25, 2013 2:42 pm

jjoyce wrote:
fisticuffs wrote:Without posting who is, or is not a troll it seems to me the post I linked to should at least be evaluated for compliance.

It's hard to believe someone who plays in a rock band typed that.

Cover band. Doesn't count. Do I take your sarcastic response as confirming you don't intend to enforce the guidelines you laid out?
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:48 pm

So you couldn't even moderate the standards you yourself set up for one week? Is there anyone else at Isthmus who would like this gig? Maybe you should hand it off. If I was your boss and your job was to moderate this forum I would have let you go five years ago. You're doing a supremely shitty job, and worse you seem proud of it.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Fri Apr 26, 2013 1:04 pm

fisticuffs wrote:So you couldn't even moderate the standards you yourself set up for one week?

Hey, it's all about those clicks. Having mundane conversations about our lawns(that lead me to Mr. Yuck which I haven't thought of in years) is probably too boring for JJ. He needs a special someone to come and smear shit all over a thread. That's what people want. Some people are allowed to be off topic cause they bring in the dollars.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Fri Apr 26, 2013 2:18 pm

The joke was on us, guys. We bought it hook line and sinker.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby massimo » Fri Apr 26, 2013 2:29 pm

I don't know, I've noticed some subtle changes on the board in the past week, but I'm guessing things will normalize pretty quickly.

The joke's always been on us, providing free content and click-throughs for Isthmus. Knowing this, I choose to provide only the barest drive-by content (I say 'choose', but I also damn well know I'm outclassed by so many on this board) and try not to take things too seriously. I take the good with the bad.

The worst, in my opinion, is not a troll, but the acknowledgment/feeding and quoting of the troll. So stop that.
massimo
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Wed May 01, 2013 11:45 am

massimo wrote:The worst, in my opinion, is not a troll, but the acknowledgment/feeding and quoting of the troll. So stop that.

Here's what I learned during on-topic week: There is a cadre of forons who, when presented with a challenge, prefer to play the role of weenie rather than attempt to create something interesting.

By all means, the vast majority of posters here come in good faith, provide great stuff, participate honestly and are the reason we do this. Thanks for your efforts. We appreciate it, truly. massimo's post here is emblematic of this effort.

But I was amazed at how eagerly some prefer to tattle than create interesting topics. I see all the reports (yes, some people actually click the report-this-post link) and find 99% of them to be the equivalent of siblings in the back seat of the station wagon yelling about how the other one is looking at them funny. They don't get that their schtick is just as boring, unoriginal and irritating. I believe they appear to be here more for the drama than the conversation. They appear incapable of ignoring (personally or by using the easily-available technology on this message board) the shit they claim to hate. Worse, they can't help but get sucked in by it. I believe that's the reason they come here: to be infuriated.

I don't think this is unusual in the world of desk jobs and the web. You need something to fill 3 minutes and habit dictates you come here, click on the latest and conjure up some outrage.

The lesson of on-topic week is that this place can get mighty boring when people take it too seriously. Does that describe you? I know what you click on and respond to. Is it similar to what you claim to despise? For some of you, it definitely is. Most of the good stuff posted here over 12+ years comes from being off topic. And the most memorable stuff has come from the crackpots, weirdos, jerks, sock puppets, etc. Not from those who can't help but feed every single troll that comes along in an futile effort to win the internet or something.

The internet can not be won, and if it can, then Nick Denton is going to win it. Not you.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Wed May 01, 2013 11:49 am

And God bless the first person who exposes the hypocrisy of the above post, or any others.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Wed May 01, 2013 12:00 pm

You learned something from on topic week? How is that possible. You didn't even really have it. I ignore the trolls just fine thanks. You stated in this thread that YOUR moderating was going to change. It did not. You failed on topic week. I appreciate your deep psychological insight into the Daily Page poster but it's not coming from any grand experiment or evidence based on these pages it's coming from where you started, your preconceptions.
But I was amazed at how eagerly some prefer to tattle than create interesting topics.

What you refer to as "tattling" is standard operating procedure for any moderated board. You have the report button there for a reason do you not? You laid out rules in this thread, we reported violations of those rules under the joke of an idea that you could stick to anything for more than five minutes. Now you come here and give us all a lecture on how we failed. Classic.

Moderate and complain or don't and shut the fuck up about it. You bear responsibility for the tone here as much as the posters.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Wed May 01, 2013 12:20 pm

fisticuffs wrote:What you refer to as "tattling" is standard operating procedure for any moderated board.

I wouldn't know. I don't go to any other boards.

Moderate and complain or don't and shut the fuck up about it. You bear responsibility for the tone here as much as the posters.

Of course I do! I'm one of the posters! Unlike you, I actually attempt to post interesting things here instead of tedious left vs. right rhetoric.

I think I'll keep doing what I'm doing. Malcontents like yourself who aren't happy about that have options.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Wed May 01, 2013 12:34 pm

Fisti didn't make the alternate hall of fame for nothing.
Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Wed May 01, 2013 1:17 pm

I think I'll keep doing what I'm doing. Malcontents like yourself who aren't happy about that have options.

I could care less how you run you board (or don't as is the case here). I have issue you with your insults and complaints against your customers when you've chosen not to moderate. I have issue with you proposing a set of rules and then not following through with them for even 24 hours.

I wouldn't know. I don't go to any other boards.

Fine. Can you explain the report function then? Clearly you see it as a negative. Remove it if you think it's "tattling". It's a little confusing that its there if you are so opposed to its use.

Unlike you, I actually attempt to post interesting things here instead of tedious left vs. right rhetoric.

So you really are Ned Flanders. Unlike Jason Joyce, I don't have an overinflated ego about what I post here. Nor do I think everyone's definition of "interesting" should be the same as my own. You post as many troll threads and complete snoozers as anyone here. I simply write what's on my mind at any given time and I don't kid myself that it's always interesting to everyone, least of all you.

There's a difference in our roles here. You are paid to moderate this board, we are not. If you want to change the tone of this board you're actually going to have to do some work. Clearly you think yourself an expert at this as evidenced by the complaints and lectures.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to Comments on Isthmus & isthmus.com