MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Monday, July 28, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 58.0° F  Fair
Collapse Photo Bar

On-Topic Week, presented by TDP

Comments on the paper, the website, the mobile site and all other Isthmus-generated products go here.

Re: On-Topic Week, presented by TDP

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Wed May 01, 2013 1:25 pm

I'd like to go on record saying that I greatly appreciated your thread locks (and had advocated for such action in the past.) I do much more lurking than actual posting (a fact I assume is much-appreciated by those who remember the time when this was not the case) and found the decluttering to be welcome relief. I still disagree with you about continuing to allow Larry to shit all over everything, but it does provide me with an exercise in self-restraint. I know, I did have a minor lapse in the lawn care thread, but I am recovering nicely.
Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Wed May 01, 2013 1:44 pm

fisticuffs wrote:
I think I'll keep doing what I'm doing. Malcontents like yourself who aren't happy about that have options.

I could care less how you run you board (or don't as is the case here). I have issue you with your insults and complaints against your customers when you've chosen not to moderate. I have issue with you proposing a set of rules and then not following through with them for even 24 hours.

I wouldn't know. I don't go to any other boards.

Fine. Can you explain the report function then? Clearly you see it as a negative. Remove it if you think it's "tattling". It's a little confusing that its there if you are so opposed to its use.

Unlike you, I actually attempt to post interesting things here instead of tedious left vs. right rhetoric.

So you really are Ned Flanders. Unlike Jason Joyce, I don't have an overinflated ego about what I post here. Nor do I think everyone's definition of "interesting" should be the same as my own. You post as many troll threads and complete snoozers as anyone here. I simply write what's on my mind at any given time and I don't kid myself that it's always interesting to everyone, least of all you.

There's a difference in our roles here. You are paid to moderate this board, we are not. If you want to change the tone of this board you're actually going to have to do some work. Clearly you think yourself an expert at this as evidenced by the complaints and lectures.

Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Wed May 01, 2013 1:54 pm

What good does it do to lock a thread that Mead fucked up? If somebody starts another one he'll just post another mile long link and fuck that one up too.

Why not just delete the post that fucked it all up? It's right there at the top of the page.

Unless you've got another reason to lock the thread, I guess.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby HawkHead » Fri Jun 07, 2013 3:42 pm

YEAH!!!! We are locking threads again.
HawkHead
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Fri Jun 07, 2013 3:51 pm

HawkHead wrote:YEAH!!!! We are locking threads again.

To be fair, that one was on it's way downhill and I was helping to instigate it. It was really doomed to begin with.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Fri Jun 07, 2013 4:38 pm

Meh, the Benghazi story was so last month anyways.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby acereraser » Sat Jun 08, 2013 7:24 pm

Hey folks-

The image of the Tar-Baby from the Uncle Remus stories has been circling my thoughts as I read this forum lately. Just curious, does anyone find mention of the Tar-Baby, as used metaphorically to mean a sticky situation that is only aggravated by additional contact, offensive? I certainly don't find it offensive, but some people claim it cannot be used without invoking a racial slur. I would of course use caution in situations where my intent could be misconstrued, but in situations where that is nigh impossible, I dunno. Any thoughts, or suggestions for substitutions?
acereraser
Forum God/Goddess

Postby david cohen » Sat Jun 08, 2013 7:54 pm

The tales of Tar Baby and Uncle Remus are part of American culture and I do not find then racist. I'm sure members of the church of the perpetually offended are still offended; however, it's a good analogy to the present state of affairs.
david cohen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Sun Jun 09, 2013 8:56 am

david cohen wrote:The tales of Tar Baby and Uncle Remus are part of American culture and I do not find then racist. I'm sure members of the church of the perpetually offended are still offended; however, it's a good analogy to the present state of affairs.

Oh really? You do not find them racist? Because they are part of American culture?

Would you like me to google "tar baby racism" for you so you two "white" "progressive" Democrats can see what covert racists you really are?
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Sun Jun 09, 2013 10:02 am

I'd settle for poopy baby, and someone needs to either change its diapers or throw it out with the bathwater because it's getting this whole place full of shit.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby david cohen » Sun Jun 09, 2013 11:51 am

"eat shit and die, troll"----it's a goddamn children's story which is designed to teach kids a lesson. Tar Baby was also the nickname of the JV B-Ball team at UNC. "Tar" can be construed many ways, learn some southern history, ya carpetbagger.
david cohen
Forum God/Goddess

Previous

Return to Comments on Isthmus & isthmus.com