MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Tuesday, September 23, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 49.0° F  Fair
Collapse Photo Bar

Coming to State Street: "The Hub"

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.

Re: Coming to State Street: "The Hub"

Postby Henry Vilas » Thu May 02, 2013 3:16 pm

The new Hy Vee on Whitney is suppose to have a restaurant. They even applied for a beer/wine license.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Thu May 02, 2013 3:20 pm

The Hub should be on the square where it was before, same block as Rennebohm's.

She's right -- it was a men's clothing store (think neckties) 8000 years ago, I think. Funny the new student housing picked the same name.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jman111 » Thu May 02, 2013 4:23 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:The new Hy Vee on Whitney is suppose to have a restaurant. They even applied for a beer/wine license.
jjoyce wrote:Food carts are huge and I don't think the arrival of a large grocery store will have any effect, particularly since the carts are only at research park once a week (right?).

To observe the impact that the new HyVee may have on other nearby food options, one need only look at the number of people/vehicles flocking to the east side HyVee around lunchtime. The number of military uniforms is particularly noteworthy.
jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Postby msnflyer » Fri May 03, 2013 3:26 pm

Research Park food carts are scheduled for Wednesdays, next week they plan on 10 carts, 5 on each side of Whitney Way. The 5 that were here this week were all shiny new ones, quite fancy compared to some I've seen.

Hy Vee East serves many military personnel because food is no longer prepped on site at the National Guard and Reserve facilities in the area. They also give a military discount and the menu offerings are better than fast food outlets in the area. Where else can you get Italian, Chinese, sushi, salad bar, breakfast, sandwiches, soup, or chicken in one place. The west store is seeking a license to sell beer and wine during limited hours in a sectioned off dining area. I go to the east store for breakfast some weekends, price is reasonable, metal flatware and real plates, Caribou coffee, and you don't have to tip.

As to The Hub, bet I could find some hangers from the store in my ex's closet. There are probably shirts from Grants in there too. 8)
msnflyer
Forum Addict

Postby green union terrace chair » Fri May 03, 2013 3:31 pm

MarcoPolo wrote:I have already heard from folks that think this project will be the arrival of a mall atmosphere on state street.

The arrival? I don't know if you've noticed but THERE'S BEEN A THE GAP ON STATE STREET FOR A DECADE.
green union terrace chair
Forum God/Goddess

Postby SlayerDave » Fri May 03, 2013 9:21 pm

snoqueen wrote:
While that big surface parking lot can't stay undeveloped forever, the idea of building more luxury (or "amenity-rich") student apartments when students and their families are complaining about ever-rising tuition seems backward. At some point, either they'll run out of students with big budgets or all the students will be full-tuition people of means from other parts of the country or other parts of the world. I can't believe your average kid from Rhinelander or wherever wants, needs, or can afford all this.

Well, right. It's worth pointing out that at least in theory, building new housing doesn't just benefit the people who will be moving into it. As kids choose to live in the Hub, the owners of the (relatively) older buildings that they be could otherwise be living in start to worry, they lower or stabilize rent. As other buildings see that, they start to do the same. And on and on.

They're being fairly up front about that:
“I’m always in favor of giving downtown residents more housing options,” Verveer said. “[However], this will clearly be out of price range for many UW students, and I fully admit to that.”

Verveer said he thinks the establishment would apply “economic pressure” on older apartments, which would cause prices to either freeze or reduce with the added competition.

Of course, your mileage may vary, but I don't think people who talk about "affordable housing" ought to take it is a given that this ain't it.
SlayerDave
Forum Addict

Postby Igor » Sat May 04, 2013 12:46 am

Henry Vilas wrote:The new Hy Vee on Whitney is suppose to have a restaurant. They even applied for a beer/wine license.

I think that Copps will struggle with HyVee there. I'm not sure why the other HyVee is building right by the Target though - that seems odd.
Igor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Sat May 04, 2013 10:29 am

As kids choose to live in the Hub, the owners of the (relatively) older buildings that they be could otherwise be living in start to worry, they lower or stabilize rent. As other buildings see that, they start to do the same. And on and on.

This is true, and it's true not only of student housing but housing in general. Usually the best situation is building new at the lowest price point possible, which is always above the lowest in the entire market, so that people in totally substandard housing get to move out and up a step. Somebody else always ends up in the old totally substandard housing, of course, unless it's torn down, but it's one path to overall improvement in a housing market.

I'm thinking the oldest housing on W. Wash and W. Mifflin (and around Regent, and elsewhere) has almost reached the end of its useful life (if nothing else, for fire safety reasons) and some new more affordable student housing could replace it. The Hub isn't affecting this one way or the other as it appears to be marketing to a different group of students. Maybe I'm wrong about that.

What I was wondering in my original statements was whether the top of the student market served by the Hub (and other new student places) is overbuilt. I was also questioning whether overbuilding and minor adjustment within that sector will result in more "average" in-state students opting to attend other UW locations while more very wealthy students end up at UW. I'd say that doesn't conform with the original intent of the UW system, but what's left of that anyway?
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby massimo » Sat May 04, 2013 3:24 pm

snoqueen wrote:This is true, and it's true not only of student housing but housing in general. Usually the best situation is building new at the lowest price point possible, which is always above the lowest in the entire market, so that people in totally substandard housing get to move out and up a step. Somebody else always ends up in the old totally substandard housing, of course, unless it's torn down, but it's one path to overall improvement in a housing market.

I'm coming at this from a place of almost complete ignorance, so bear with me, but to me it would seem that building housing at the lowest price point in a market would be a very bad investment, if even possible at all given the costs associated with such projects. Are there builders who can make a go of this without some amount of public money being involved?
massimo
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Sat May 04, 2013 4:50 pm

Hardly ever. That's the reason nobody does it.

That's why I said the lowest price point POSSIBLE, which isn't the same as the lowest in the entire market. Maybe I wasn't as clear as I thought I was.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Sat Jun 15, 2013 8:38 am

A related NYT Article

As private housing developers try harder than ever to outdo the amenities that their competitors offer in college towns, concern is growing about the academic and social consequences of upscale off-campus student housing.

“It’s sort of this mass-produced, soulless luxury,” said Miranda Metheny, a recent Missouri graduate who lives across the street from Brookside in the 176-year-old Niedermeyer Building, which was slated to be razed and replaced with an upscale high rise before public outcry saved the landmark.
fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Previous

Return to Local Politics & Government