Saturday, December 27, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 35.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Looking for some trees

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it fits here

Re: Looking for some trees

Postby Remember_Me » Wed Apr 24, 2013 2:13 am

How funny!

I'm looking for some trees too.

But fuck if we're not on two different lev... *cough, *cough..., difeere... diff... different... lev... leve..leve... fuck... levels...

But yeah... trees and apples...

Wait... waht... did i just spell *what* wrong and not capitalize I... shit...

GO BADGERS!
Remember_Me
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bleurose » Wed Apr 24, 2013 2:07 pm

Sno,

Yes, the robins were plastered. Given the sugar produced by fruits of various types, it is not a mental leap to remember the basic steps of fermentation, beginning with sugars and yeast, which lead to the end result of.......alcohol. So it is kinda funny to watch these birds chow down on the berries and then they can't perch. I keep all of my cats inside when it is obvious that there is a neighborhood avian kegger :D
bleurose
Forum Addict

Postby fennel » Sat May 04, 2013 4:20 pm

fennel wrote:I'm glad y'all reminded me of serviceberry.
Serviceberry planted. It's a fine figure of a bush, too.
fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Sat May 04, 2013 4:55 pm

fennel wrote:Serviceberry planted. It's a fine figure of a bush, too.

Mind saying where you got the serviceberry bush? I have been looking to replace a minature lilac tree/bush that the rabbits destroyed over the winter and this thread got me thinking about getting a serviceberry.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Sat May 04, 2013 7:01 pm

Mine are all ready to flower, like maybe tomorrow. I'm so glad you put one in -- you'll be happy with it for years. So will the robins, ha!
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Sat May 04, 2013 11:04 pm

I got the serviceberry at Jung's on the west side. They had only a few left. I saw some at the Bruce Company, too.
fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Sun May 05, 2013 12:32 pm

Jung's on Northport has had them in the past, too.

Make sure you talk to the salesperson and get the right serviceberry -- there are several variants that grow to different heights. The littlest are more like shrubs, the bigger ones become slender small trees. Measure your space horizontally and vertically so you get the right one.

Their foliage isn't very dense, so you can put them in front of a window and still see out.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Sun May 05, 2013 8:05 pm

Amelanchier alnifolia is the most common bush type. Amelanchier canadensis is the more common tree variety. It's on the label.

I'm already scheming to plant another. (It's so pretty!) But where?
fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Tue May 14, 2013 8:01 pm

Ach, I broke down and got two more. We'll have a view of these from the kitchen window.

The lilacs are-a-burgeoning.
fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Tue May 14, 2013 8:11 pm

I'm happy other people are finding about those nice little trees.

Another native plant species I put in last year was three copies of Aronia, or chokeberry. They are more of a shrub and are supposed to stay small. They were unfazed by the winter and came right back this spring with five times as many leaves than before, along with big clusters of flower buds that aren't open yet. Supposedly they get sour-tasting berries the birds eat over the winter, berries that are edible for humans but not tempting and tasty like the serviceberry ones. Their leaves turn red in the fall, same as the serviceberry but its leaves are smaller.

I'm hoping the Aronia will become another favorite as I get used to them and watch their life cycle. I love these attractive, un-fussy plants. Now to get rid of these mean prickly roses I inherited from the last people.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Tue May 14, 2013 9:19 pm

snoqueen wrote:Another native plant species I put in last year was three copies of Aronia, or chokeberry. They are more of a shrub and are supposed to stay small.
At first, I thought you meant what we used to call choke cherry, but I'm thinking of a related tree I used to find in Northern Michigan: Prunus serotina. In form, it looked very much like a cherry tree, and the bark is similar. But I've seen such trees that were at least 35 feet tall.

The berries were nice – small and only mildly sweet. But they were satisfying and would make for a pleasant diversion on a late September afternoon. These were a favorite hangout for ruffed grouse, so your approach might prompt a hella lotta thrumming panicked exits.
fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Previous

Return to Catch All