MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
jamesmadisonpark
Thursday, July 24, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 54.0° F  Fair
Collapse Photo Bar

Benghazi

Races for the Senate, U.S. House, etc. and other issues of national importance.

Benghazi

Postby Leroy Gates » Sun May 05, 2013 11:18 pm

"Evidence Mounts Against Obama Administration as Benghazi Witnesses Begin to Talk"

"Flashback: SecState Clinton Blamed YouTube Video, with the #Benghazi Victims' Bodies Behind Her "

"Official: We knew terrorists attacked Benghazi “from the get-go”

""Clinton sought end-run around counter-terrorism bureau on night of Benghazi attack"

"“It is clear that senior administration officials engaged in a wholesale rewriting of intelligence assessments about Benghazi in order to mislead the public.”"

"Democrat Rep. Stephen Lynch admits Obama Administration’s Benghazi talking points were bogus"

"More Benghazi Whistle Blower Info: Military Told To Stand Down, Quick Response Team Never Called, Witnesses Intimidated And Hidden"

"Benghazi Accountability Report Under Scrutiny"

" CBS’s Face the Nation Leads with Benghazi ‘Cover-Up’"
Leroy Gates
Forum Addict

Re: Benghazi

Postby Sandi » Mon May 06, 2013 4:37 am

Greg Hicks, is the former deputy chief of mission at the U.S. Embassy in Tripoli, and a pretty credible whistle blower.

From CNN

In the interview, conducted on April 11, Hicks also makes clear that he immediately believed the September 11 attack on the U.S. mission in Benghazi had been conducted by terrorists, though the White House and other officials in the Obama administration initially suggested that the attack was the result of an out-of-control demonstration against an anti-Muslim YouTube video.

"I thought it was a terrorist attack from the get?go," said Hicks, who was in Tripoli during the attack. "I think everybody in the mission thought it was a terrorist attack from the beginning."

Hicks said he never had any indication that there had been a popular protest outside the mission in Benghazi.

"I never reported a demonstration; I reported an attack on the consulate," Hicks said. Stevens' "last report, if you want to say his final report, is, 'Greg, we are under attack.'"

There is a lot here that hasn't, but will come out eventually. Benghazigate is about covering up an embarrassing bungled security risk, a failed Arab Spring, official arrogance, and a lot more.

The CBS video is here..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?&v=c3lvvj9ntGY
Sandi
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Mon May 06, 2013 8:29 am

Sure is nice that it's now allowed to criticize the president without half the nation calling you a treasonous bastard who's letting the terrorists win.

When did that happen, anyway?
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Mon May 06, 2013 9:13 am

I think it's great that Republicans are focused on Benghazi to uncover the truth about exactly what happened after the embassy was attacked. They seem strangely less interested in discussing how budget cuts at the State Department might have led to decreased security, but they brought a big net, so maybe they'll snare themselves as they parade about in their epic finger-pointing brigade.

It's also interesting that despite hammering the President on jobs and complaining about deficits and debt, Republicans have put exactly zero effort into actually creating jobs or offering realistic (read also, "compromise") plans to deal with deficits and the national debt. Instead they have hearings on a tragic miscalculation in Benghazi, the death of an ambassador (but not the thousands of soldiers who died in Iraq) and a bungled ATF program that was largely brought down by pro-second amendment prosecutors who refused to authorize surveillance warrants.

What makes all of this truly special is the underlying assumption by Republicans that we're all as dumb as the sort of person who sits around listening to Rush Limbaugh and watching FoxNews. The reason they aren't getting much traction is because the American people already understand what happened, and they aren't interested in the tinfoil hat conspiracies that folks like Leroy seem obsessed by. Hopefully Republicans can maintain this focus through most of 2014 so that exasperated voters can witness exactly what motivates the GOP.

So there he is again. Leroy is all lined up to finally kick the ball. He sprints across the lawn and winds up his leg with all of the power he can muster and once again goes flying through the air, landing on his back and wondering why he always falls for the same trick. But don't worry, Leroy. I'm sure Lucy will give you another chance, and maybe next time she'll let you kick it.
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Mon May 06, 2013 9:22 am

When are they going to start howling about Guantanamo? That seems a whole lot more howl-worthy to me.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Mon May 06, 2013 9:23 am

The GOP anti-Hillary campaign has begun, well before the next presidential election.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby wack wack » Mon May 06, 2013 9:25 am

snoqueen wrote:When are they going to start howling about Guantanamo? That seems a whole lot more howl-worthy to me.

Perhaps that will be the focus of Leroy's next Linkless Propaganda Dissemination 101 assignment.
wack wack
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Mon May 06, 2013 9:33 am

pjbogart wrote:I think it's great that [Democrats] are focused on [Watergate] to uncover the truth about exactly what happened after the [break-in].
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Mon May 06, 2013 9:34 am

As Obama's flack said, "this is old news".
Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby DCB » Mon May 06, 2013 9:44 am

snoqueen wrote:When are they going to start howling about Guantanamo? That seems a whole lot more howl-worthy to me.

As a bonus, you have Obama actually breaking a campaign promise.
DCB
Forum God/Goddess

Postby DCB » Mon May 06, 2013 9:47 am

I think its hilarious that the GOP thinks this is a real issue. Didn't Romney get totally pwned on this during the election?

"Please continue".
DCB
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Mon May 06, 2013 11:54 am

Bolshevik Bob Schieffer's pissed that he was punk'd by Rice, Klinton and Barry. Anyone catch "Face the Nation" yesterday?

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-3460_162-57 ... ersberger/
Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Mon May 06, 2013 12:17 pm

Explosive...

Diplomat: U.S. Special Forces told "you can't go" to Benghazi during attacks

The deputy of slain U.S. Ambassador Christopher Stevens has told congressional investigators that a team of Special Forces prepared to fly from Tripoli to Benghazi during the Sept. 11, 2012 attacks was forbidden from doing so by U.S. Special Operations Command South Africa

The account from Gregory Hicks is in stark contrast to assertions from the Obama administration, which insisted that nobody was ever told to stand down and that all available resources were utilized. Hicks gave private testimony to congressional investigators last month in advance of his upcoming appearance at a congressional hearing Wednesday.

According to excerpts released Monday, Hicks told investigators that SOCAFRICA commander Lt. Col. Gibson and his team were on their way to board a C-130 from Tripoli for Benghazi prior to an attack on a second U.S. compound "when [Col. Gibson] got a phone call from SOCAFRICA which said, 'you can't go now, you don't have the authority to go now.' And so they missed the flight ... They were told not to board the flight, so they missed it."

No assistance arrived from the U.S. military outside of Libya during the hours that Americans were under attack or trapped inside compounds by hostile forces armed with rocket-propelled grenades, mortars and AK-47 rifles.

More...

Obama administration officials have insisted that no military resources could have made it in time. A White House official told CBS News that, at the start of the attack, Chairman of the Joint Chiefs Martin Dempsey and Defense Secretary Leon Panetta "looked at available options, and the ones we exercised had our military forces arrive in less than 24 hours, well ahead of timelines laid out in established policies."

More...

Ambassador Susan Rice and Secretary of State Hillary Clinton initially indicated the attacks were not planned acts of terror, but an outgrowth of a spontaneous protest over an anti-Islamic YouTube video. Unidentified government officials removed references to terrorism and al Qaeda from so-called "talking points" released to the public shortly after the attacks.
http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-250_162-575 ... g-attacks/
Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby david cohen » Mon May 06, 2013 12:25 pm

Whoa Ned old boy, you're leaking prostaglandin EVERYWHERE!
david cohen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Mon May 06, 2013 12:32 pm

david cohen wrote:Whoa Ned old boy, you're leaking prostaglandin EVERYWHERE!

I think you've confused me with your date last night. Amyl nitrate poppers are a hell of a drug....
Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to National Politics & Government