MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Saturday, August 30, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 73.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Have your eyes gone to shit yet?

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it fits here

Re: Have your eyes gone to shit yet?

Postby bdog » Thu May 02, 2013 12:53 pm

Michael Patrick wrote:Hey bdog, they told you that if you didn't stop you'd go blind...

I'm just pissed I gotta wear the readers to shave my palms.
bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Thu May 02, 2013 2:51 pm

I was born with poor eyesight. Astigmatism, myopia and "red-green" color blindness. When I took my induction physical, I told the doc about my eyes and he said that's all right, they will put me in the front lines so I wouldn't have to see that far. I replied that I enlisted in the Navy, so no problem. Anyways, the captain is suppose to go down with the ship, not me.

When I got into my forties, age related problems took hold. Coudln't read fine print. I then got progressive lens. I'm now on my third prescription.

Now that I'm in my mid sixties, my main problem with reading is lighting. I need much brighter lighting to make out small print.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Galoot » Thu May 02, 2013 3:01 pm

My brother is so damned lucky about some things. In spite of treating his body like shit for nearly 50 years, he has no gray hairs, has not lost any hair either, and doesn't need reading glasses at all. In fact, reading glasses hurt his eyes.

He has eaten mostly junk food his whole life, smoked since age 14, taken about every drug there is to take, has been an alcoholic for decades--and has low cholesterol and normal blood pressure.

This is all good, I love him very much and want him to be around for many years to come. But damn...luck of the Irish, I guess.
Galoot
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Thu May 02, 2013 3:13 pm

I can see up close just fine (I'm typing this without any glasses at all) but I've always been nearsighted. I can't read a clock on the wall or a menu on the wall. I wear glasses to drive, but otherwise sometimes yes sometimes no. I guess I have a good tolerance for ambiguity. I'm 66 so with any luck this is how I'll stay. I think my dad was the same way.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Thu May 02, 2013 3:17 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:I was born with poor eyesight. Astigmatism, myopia and "red-green" color blindness.

My dad had "green/yellow" color blindness. One year his boss gave him a box of those newfangled fluorescent yellow golf balls and he lost 'em all before the ninth hole.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ralphie w » Thu May 02, 2013 6:39 pm

I'm 51, and can't read The Onion --especially the sports page-- unless I'm in sunlight or under fluorescent lights.
ralphie w

Postby shyguy » Thu May 02, 2013 8:11 pm

Made it to the 50's, but then started noticing I was having trouble reading CD jackets, menus esp. in dark restaurants, etc. So got some readers, and then eventually "real" reading glasses. Later, the eye doc says, "do you have trouble seeing at distances?", you know like highway signs, and I'm like no no, I'm fine. He gives me a lens or two in the eye test, and lo and behold, I was having some distance trouble and never noticed it. Gave me some bifocals, and then I noticed the basketball games from my second balcony seat at Kohl Center suddenly appeared much clearer. And watching TV at home is much better. So yes, mine when to shit.
shyguy

Postby supaunknown » Sun May 05, 2013 4:03 pm

I just turned 44. Last year I noticed that I struggled to read the little buttons on the remote. I was like hey, old man! Went to the eye doc and explained the issue & went through my semi-annual battery of tests, thinking I would likely get a pair of bifocals. They upsold me on lenses that have a progressive focal length from bottom to top. The're all-around OK, though at $400 they were way more expensive than any lenses (or frames for that matter) than I had bought before. I did have to go back to have them adjusted so that what I commonly saw through the center of the lenses was in clear focus.
supaunknown
Forum God/Goddess

Postby MPMay » Sun May 05, 2013 10:21 pm

Here's my very near-sighted story:

I've had glasses since about third grade. As time progressed, my eyes got worse, to the point where I was like 20/500 or something, very near-sighted, close to legally blind, I guess. My glasses were the famous coke-bottle variety. Luckily, they began to develop the lenses made of plastic instead of glass, so they were not nearly so thick and did not tend to injure my nose due to the sheer weight of the glass.

Somewhere around the time I was graduating from law school, I tried contact lenses. Did not work for me.

In my late 40's, I began to have trouble reading -- not that a lawyer does that much -- and discovered I needed the bifocals. So I was not only near-sighted at distances, I was also becoming far-sighted for reading. Quickly my glasses became the variable lenses so that I could adjust to the highway, the computer and the book.

Then, starting about 7-8 years ago in my early-50's, a weird thing began to happen. As I had to have stronger lenses for reading up close, the lens portion for distance began to reverse itself. Yes, as my eyes became more far-sighted for close reading, that means my near-sightedness for distance is improving. I'm now something like 20/200 for distances.

The best thing about this is that some of my old eyeglasses are now usable again. (Don't ask; of course I saved the old John Lennon style glasses).

I've also got terrible astigmatism but that is another story.

Anybody know when eyeglasses began to be developed? I assume it was the late middle ages as telescopes and the like were developed. I ask because if I did not have glasses and was on the serengeti and had to hunt and gather with this eyesight, I would have been fodder for some predator long ago. Or, say, a speeding cadillac in today's world. I'm surprised that natural selection did not breed out bad eyesight.
MPMay
Forum Addict

Postby green union terrace chair » Sun May 05, 2013 11:59 pm

MPMay wrote:I'm surprised that natural selection did not breed out bad eyesight.

Natural selection isn't an influence on things that happen after you've had a chance to pass on your genes (or typical lifespan in the wild).

And a lot of nearsightedness in youth may be a recent phenomenon due to higher literacy.
green union terrace chair
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Mon May 06, 2013 9:45 am

Then, starting about 7-8 years ago in my early-50's, a weird thing began to happen. As I had to have stronger lenses for reading up close, the lens portion for distance began to reverse itself. Yes, as my eyes became more far-sighted for close reading, that means my near-sightedness for distance is improving. I'm now something like 20/200 for distances.

Same here. I've actually got an old, very ugly pair of blue plastic glasses that work better for driving than my more recent ones. I can still read up close with no glasses though, which is a huge convenience. My ideal focal length seems to be 12-14 inches.

I thought Benjamin Franklin had something to do with inventing eyeglasses, but that's probably apocryphal. The Inuit in the arctic regions made eyewear that had little horizontal slits in a bone or wood facepiece. Those served as not only sunglasses (helpful in the snow) but also looking through a small hole or slit makes it easier to see a focused image, as we know from using a pinhole camera to view an eclipse. This probably helped them see prey at a distance when hunting. So non-glass "glasses" (or vision aids, anyway) are quite ancient.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Mon May 06, 2013 10:16 am

snoqueen wrote:I thought Benjamin Franklin had something to do with inventing eyeglasses, but that's probably apocryphal.
Franklin invented bifocals (among many other inventions, including the odometer, the aptly named Franklin stove, and, his personal favorite, the armonica.)

I suppose now that I've posted here I should add that I am nearsighted and have worn glasses since Middle School (so, nearly 30 years now.) I don't wear them much at all around the house though, just when I go out or watch TV.
Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Mon May 06, 2013 10:50 am

MPMay wrote:I'm surprised that natural selection did not breed out bad eyesight.

Well, it's because those of us who wear glasses tend to be more intelligent. That's gotta be it, right?

Nearsighted since 4th grade, but on my most recent check-up my doctor explained that my vision is starting to get better. She did warn that bifocals are in my future.

Thinking about getting some prescription sunglasses this summer. I've always been a squinter, which I'm told isn't great for the eyes.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Mon May 06, 2013 12:43 pm

green union terrace chair wrote:And a lot of nearsightedness in youth may be a recent phenomenon due to higher literacy.
It's my understanding that it's spending much more time indoors, not reading per se, that's the culprit. Your eyes need to be exercised, and when you don't have a far-off horizon to focus on, it becomes harder and harder to do so. That said, I spent lots of time outdoors as a child, and so did my nearsighted dad (and his myopic dad) presumably. Sometimes it really is just genetic, I'd wager. I could easily be persuaded that Jason's theory is correct too...
Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Madsci » Mon May 06, 2013 9:05 pm

Prof. Wagstaff wrote:
green union terrace chair wrote:And a lot of nearsightedness in youth may be a recent phenomenon due to higher literacy.
It's my understanding that it's spending much more time indoors, not reading per se, that's the culprit. Your eyes need to be exercised, and when you don't have a far-off horizon to focus on, it becomes harder and harder to do so. That said, I spent lots of time outdoors as a child, and so did my nearsighted dad (and his myopic dad) presumably. Sometimes it really is just genetic, I'd wager. I could easily be persuaded that Jason's theory is correct too...

I blame it on TV. My mom warned me about sitting too close to the set.

My first pair of glasses were obtained at thirteen. Never wore them except to see the blackboard at school. Forgot to bring them along when I had to take the eye test for my learner's permit for driving. FAIL. My dear dad bought me a pair of wire-rims so I would wear them all the time.

Fortunately, I am not as blind as my brother (HV). And like some others, my distance vision has improved with age. My bifocals have only minimal magnification in the reading portion. I usually take my glasses off to read and especially to see small print.
Madsci
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to Catch All