MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Friday, August 1, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 58.0° F  Fog/Mist
Collapse Photo Bar

Dem Senator Fret About Obamacare

Races for the Senate, U.S. House, etc. and other issues of national importance.

Dem Senator Fret About Obamacare

Postby Sandi » Mon May 06, 2013 5:29 am

Another Dem Senator ( Ron Wyden ) is prepared to throw Obama under the Obamacare bus.

Reuters

Some of the law's main advocates fear that not enough of America's 49 million uninsured will know about health coverage offered in their own states. Even if they do, new insurance plans may not be attractive to young, healthy consumers needed to offset an expected influx of older and sicker patients.

Only a handful of states are beginning campaigns to promote the online health insurance marketplaces created by the law. Known as exchanges, the markets will offer private coverage at federally subsidized rates to individuals and families with low-to-moderate incomes, with enrollment set to begin October 1.

The federal government has kept quiet about its promotion plans, which are expected to begin in earnest over the summer.

While Obama and his administration say they are working nonstop on reform, analysts believe a poor performance could make the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act a big enough campaign issue in 2014 to jeopardize Democratic control of the Senate - particularly if insurance costs rise sharply.

"There is reason to be very concerned about what's going to happen with young people. If their (insurance) premiums shoot up, I can tell you, that is going to wash into the United States Senate in a hurry," said Senator Ron Wyden, an Oregon Democrat.

Some Democrats are frustrated about the lack of details surrounding administration plans to promote the exchanges.
Sandi
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 1515
Joined: Sun Jul 17, 2005 11:31 pm

Re: Dem Senator Fret About Obamacare

Postby david cohen » Mon May 06, 2013 7:17 am

well when your Republican Gov. refuses to help implement the law....WTF do you expect?
david cohen
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 1319
Joined: Fri Jul 07, 2006 12:48 pm

Re: Dem Senator Fret About Obamacare

Postby snoqueen » Mon May 06, 2013 9:38 am

I can't figure out if the subject line is another ESL thing, or the first line of a song by by Stephen Foster.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 11321
Joined: Fri Feb 14, 2003 11:42 pm

Re: Dem Senator Fret About Obamacare

Postby Sandi » Tue May 07, 2013 5:09 pm

david cohen wrote:well when your Republican Gov. refuses to help implement the law....WTF do you expect?


My hope and expectation was for the governor to refuse. That is beside the point.

Are you suggesting that some Dems are throwing Obama under the Obamacare bus because of what Republican governors are, or are not doing?
Sandi
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 1515
Joined: Sun Jul 17, 2005 11:31 pm

Re: Dem Senator Fret About Obamacare

Postby Ned Flanders » Tue May 07, 2013 5:13 pm

Taking into account the Rammer's Chicago record, can we expect 2,000,000 murders, failing schools and broken infrastructure under President Rammer?
Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 13247
Joined: Wed Jun 13, 2001 2:48 pm

Re: Dem Senator Fret About Obamacare

Postby Huckleby » Tue May 07, 2013 5:25 pm

Sandi wrote: Are you suggesting that some Dems are throwing Obama under the Obamacare bus because of what Republican governors are, or are not doing?


Dems are not throwing Obamacare or Obama under the bus. That is an outright lie being perpetuated by right wing commentators.

The criticism from Baucus and others is intended to prod the federal government to educate the public better. Dishonest pundits have misrepresented their concerns as an indictment of Obamacare itself.

The sequester has cut into the ability of HHS to move funds around, so the Obamacare rollout will be somewhat difficult and confusing. But the information will get out through the media.
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 6229
Joined: Thu Oct 20, 2005 5:12 pm
Location: parents' basement

Re: Dem Senator Fret About Obamacare

Postby Sandi » Tue May 07, 2013 5:51 pm

Huckleby wrote:
Sandi wrote: Are you suggesting that some Dems are throwing Obama under the Obamacare bus because of what Republican governors are, or are not doing?


Dems are not throwing Obamacare or Obama under the bus. That is an outright lie being perpetuated by right wing commentators.

The criticism from Baucus and others is intended to prod the federal government to educate the public better. Dishonest pundits have misrepresented their concerns as an indictment of Obamacare itself.

The sequester has cut into the ability of HHS to move funds around, so the Obamacare rollout will be somewhat difficult and confusing. But the information will get out through the media.


Right. I have some checkerboard paint for sale if your interested, or maybe some canned steam.

If Obama didn't want the sequester, he shouldn't have put forth the idea. Or at least accepted congress' offer to let him shuffle funds around.
Sandi
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 1515
Joined: Sun Jul 17, 2005 11:31 pm

Re: Dem Senator Fret About Obamacare

Postby fennel » Tue May 07, 2013 6:40 pm

snoqueen wrote:I can't figure out if the subject line is another ESL thing, ...
That's what I was wondering. And I'm pretty sure it has nothing to do with guitar frets.
fennel
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 3124
Joined: Thu Sep 28, 2006 4:24 pm
Location: Inside the Green Zone, Madison

Re: Dem Senator Fret About Obamacare

Postby gargantua » Tue May 07, 2013 9:23 pm

Look, I detest the Rush Limbaughs and Fox News of the world as much as anyone. But I am not afraid to admit that the implementation of the Affordable Care Act is kind of a mess. If you can't see that, you're as much a creature of the left-wing alternate reality echo chamber, as some of our right wing citizens are in their ersatz reality when they blame Obama for absolutely everything.
gargantua
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 3988
Joined: Sat Apr 13, 2002 1:30 pm
Location: Madison

Re: Dem Senator Fret About Obamacare

Postby Huckleby » Tue May 07, 2013 10:05 pm

gargantua wrote: But I am not afraid to admit that the implementation of the Affordable Care Act is kind of a mess. If you can't see that, you're as much a creature of the left-wing alternate


The left-wing is unenthusiastic about Obamacare, why would they be defensive?

How is the implementation a mess? Do you mean it is a large and difficult project? Or do you mean that the design is flawed? Please be specific if you can.

I agree that Obamacare is struggling, but mainly because it is flying into the headwinds of a propaganda campaign, and the Supreme court has gutted it. But medium term looks good.
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 6229
Joined: Thu Oct 20, 2005 5:12 pm
Location: parents' basement

Re: Dem Senator Fret About Obamacare

Postby green union terrace chair » Tue May 07, 2013 10:53 pm

Can one be thrown under one's own bus?
green union terrace chair
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 2848
Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2005 3:33 pm
Location: Memorial Union


Return to National Politics & Government

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests

moviesmusiceats
Select a Movie
Select a Theater


commentsViewedForum
  ISTHMUS FLICKR

Promotions Contact us Privacy Policy Jobs Newsletters RSS
Collapse Photo Bar