MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Tuesday, September 23, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 48.0° F  Fog/Mist
Collapse Photo Bar

Nexus 7

Wiis, PlayStations, iPads, blogging platforms, Facebook and anything else worthy of buzz in the digital world.

Nexus 7

Postby Kenneth Burns » Mon Apr 22, 2013 7:01 pm

I knew Google had discontinued the 8GB Nexus 7, so I kept an eye on sales and finally picked up a refurb from BuyDig.com for $149.99. That deal seemed to last about three hours on a Sunday morning. Weird. Anyway, I'm delighted with my new Android tablet. It's fast and smooth. It's a joy. It helps me affirm that I never want to read a printed book again. I'm not one for watching movies on mobile devices, so I don't care much (yet) about the relatively limited storage capacity. Android 4.2.2 is making me realize how creaky my old smartphone running 2.2.1 is. Not that I'm likely to upgrade my phone anytime soon. It works well enough.
Kenneth Burns
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Nexus 7

Postby Francis Di Domizio » Tue May 07, 2013 3:51 pm

Ooh, nice. I'm waiting till hear what Google anounces next week at I/O, before I sink any money into a tablet.

Might want to check if your cell has an upgrade available. We found out my wife's old galaxy S2 could have been upgraded to 4.0 when she decided to get a Note 2. Won't be a huge diference since you will still have the old hardware, but the new features are worth it. If your phone can handle the upgrade that is. My old HTC wasn't strong enough for anything above 2.2.
Francis Di Domizio
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Kenneth Burns » Tue May 07, 2013 5:10 pm

Good point about the phone. I'm also contemplating rooting it.
Kenneth Burns
Forum God/Goddess

Postby john_titor » Tue May 07, 2013 5:45 pm

Nice snag!

We got one for the family last xmas. We have been pleased. I wanted it as a sofa pc and it has served that purpose nicely. I was not familiar with the Android platform, so having a device to learn on was another bonus.

As far as rooting, one can download all sorts of apps, including a terminal screen. It is a behaves just like a console and lets me poke around a bit. But maybe that is not why you want to root.

I set up the Nexus with a brand new, for that device only, Google account. We went to town on free downloads. Unfortunately, most the free apps require access to pretty much all and any of your information and communication, so it is nice to have the account tied to non-personal information. With that being said, I work under the assumption my tablet is full of spyware, key-loggers and miscellaneous crap. I do not do any "business" on the tablet. In fact, it doesn't sound like I'm doing any business. (Damn you AMC!)

There are some SMB clients to download as well. Couple that with VLC player and one can stream all of their content from LAN servers to the device. Speaking of which, Netflix works great on it. Plug in my old earbuds and I can watch a film in bed without bugging anyone. I don't think I would bother to copy any files to the device as I stream everything.

I haven't done the ebook route so I can't comment there.

Sometimes if the battery drains all the way out and then recharges, a push of the power button does not always turn it back on. Hold the power button for ~7 seconds, then the system will reboot. Took me a while to figure that one out, thought the system was dead.
john_titor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Kenneth Burns » Wed May 08, 2013 7:42 am

Last night I used the Nexus 7 to watch a couple innings of the Brewers game on MLB.TV. Worked great. (And the win was gratifying after the dispiriting Cardinals series.) Except I'm not sure how I feel about grasping a device as I watch video on it. I realize this is an issue everyone who watches movies on a tablet or phone has worked through.
Kenneth Burns
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Wed May 08, 2013 8:08 am

What features do you want to add if you root it?
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Kenneth Burns » Wed May 08, 2013 9:57 am

Nothing in particular. I'm a tinkerer, and this would be rooting for rooting's sake.
Kenneth Burns
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Dust Mite Rodeo » Wed May 08, 2013 7:35 pm

Nexus 6 from the Tyrell Corporation are also entertaining.

Until they discover the truth about their mortality, of course.

Dust Mite Rodeo
Forum God/Goddess

Return to Technology & Video Games