MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Saturday, September 20, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 66.0° F  Fair
Collapse Photo Bar

BO's IRS Targets Political Enemies

Races for the Senate, U.S. House, etc. and other issues of national importance.

BO's IRS Targets Political Enemies

Postby Ned Flanders » Fri May 10, 2013 3:40 pm

He joked that he would do his in '08. I guess he wasn't joking...

IRS To Tea Party: Sorry We Targeted You And Your Tax Status

The IRS apologized today for unfairly targeting several Tea Party groups during the 2012 election. Tax collectors say they focused on groups with words like “tea party” and “patriot” in applications for tax-exempt status, and the government watchdogs probed further to make sure they appropriately qualified.

Sometimes the IRS asked groups to provide a list of donors, Lois Lerner, who leads the IRS division managing tax-exempt groups, told the AP this morning at a law conference. Lerner said the practice began by low-level workers in Cincinnati but wasn’t approved by any top executives.

Conservative groups last fall tried to raise red flags about their relationship with the IRS, saying officials were asking an unusual amount of questions when they applied for tax-exempt status. Of course, tax-exempt groups can be politically active, but it can’t be their main focus

http://www.forbes.com/sites/abrambrown/ ... our-taxes/
Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Re: BO's IRS Targets Political Enemies

Postby Francis Di Domizio » Fri May 10, 2013 4:01 pm

Ned's commentary aside Huffington has it as well:

IRS Apologizes For Inappropriately Targeting Conservative Political Groups In 2012 Election

I found the following quote particularly amusing:
Lerner said the practice was initiated by low-level workers in Cincinnati and was not motivated by political bias. After her talk, she told The AP that no high level IRS officials knew about the practice.

no bias at all, they just happened to all be groups who are conservative. 75 of them, what are the odds? But in case you don't believe that, don't worry it was only low level workers in Cincinnati, and no body higher up knew anything about it. at all. really. Anyway they are sorry so lets move along...

Exactly what idiot thought they could just say "oops, we're sorry" and not have an full and public investigation?
Francis Di Domizio
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Fri May 10, 2013 4:08 pm

Well, it is the Chicago way. Is anyone really surprised?
Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Francis Di Domizio » Fri May 10, 2013 4:10 pm

Ned Flanders wrote:Well, it is the Chicago way. Is anyone really surprised?

I didn't realize Nixon was from Chicago, Ned
Francis Di Domizio
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Fri May 10, 2013 4:25 pm

If I had known the IRS in Cincinnati was asking tea party groups about their donors I would have voted for Romney. Do over! Seriously though what damages were there? What is the crime? Ill give you and Fox News 24 hours to make something up.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Fri May 10, 2013 4:32 pm

Noted: Fisti would love a politically motivated anal exam from the IRS. Kinky shit....
Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Francis Di Domizio » Fri May 10, 2013 4:36 pm

fisticuffs wrote:If I had known the IRS in Cincinnati was asking tea party groups about their donors I would have voted for Romney. Do over! Seriously though what damages were there? What is the crime? Ill give you and Fox News 24 hours to make something up.

Serriously Fisti, don't be ignorant. No one is calling for a do over, nor claiming it would change votes. The IRS itself has called the actions inappropriate and is investigating the matter. I'm sure since it's a new way to attack Obama, congress will join in soon as well.

That said, one of the activities Nixon was accused of was harrasing his enemies by sicing the IRS on them. If this news had come out in 2005 about liberal groups, you would be screaming for an investigaion and rightfully so.
Francis Di Domizio
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Fri May 10, 2013 4:42 pm

Benghazi, the IRS, the lack of illegal alien and border control, the attacks on the 2nd Amendment, Obamacare, the endless vacations and golf, the strange, creepy leftists and Chicago operators that Obama surrounds himself with.

And you wonder why people are arming themselves.
Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Fri May 10, 2013 4:44 pm

Sounds like they have been investigating it. The charge that anyone else was involved is at this point completely baseless. I'd be concerned yes if it weren't just right wing hysteria.

Again, how was anyone intimidated? Sounds like they were just looking closer at these groups. Profiling if anything. Thought Ned supoorted that.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Dipper » Fri May 10, 2013 4:46 pm

Exactly what idiot thought they could just say "oops, we're sorry" and not have an full and public investigation?

Wasn't that George W. Bush? Oh, that's right. He never said he was sorry.
Dipper
Forum Addict

Postby Ned Flanders » Fri May 10, 2013 4:48 pm

fisticuffs wrote:Sounds like they have been investigating it. The charge that anyone else was involved is at this point completely baseless. I'd be concerned yes if it weren't just right wing hysteria.

Again, how was anyone intimidated? Sounds like they were just looking closer at these groups. Profiling if anything. Thought Ned supoorted that.

Hardly. The IRS wouldn't apologize based on "right wing hysteria". We'll see where this goes, but I'm pretty sure I already know.
Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Fri May 10, 2013 4:57 pm

Sounds like an over-zealot functionary in a local office. While such partisan use of the IRS should be condemned, it's not like a presidential enemies list.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Fri May 10, 2013 4:59 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:Sounds like an over-zealot functionary in a local office. While such partisan use of the IRS should be condemned, it's not like a presidential enemies list.

Sure it's not.
Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Francis Di Domizio » Fri May 10, 2013 6:00 pm

fisticuffs wrote:Sounds like they have been investigating it. The charge that anyone else was involved is at this point completely baseless. I'd be concerned yes if it weren't just right wing hysteria.

They were doing a bit more than looking closer at the groups, but you are right that it's too early to place any blame. That said if a group of low level functionaries were using the same list to target groups, their immediate supervisor was at the very least failing to supervise.

Henry Vilas wrote:Sounds like an over-zealot functionary in a local office. While such partisan use of the IRS should be condemned, it's not like a presidential enemies list.

No, but it would be nice to see said list in full. 300 groups targeted and 1/4 of them were Tea party seems a bit questionable. For that matter I would think any group who ended up targeted due to having key words in their name on a list would have a valid cause for complaint.
Last edited by Francis Di Domizio on Fri May 10, 2013 6:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Francis Di Domizio
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Fri May 10, 2013 6:09 pm

“Even the appearance of playing partisan politics with the tax code is about as constitutionally troubling as it gets,” said Michael Macleod-Ball, chief of staff at the ACLU’s Washington Legislative Office. “With the recent push to grant federal agencies broad new powers to mandate donor disclosure for advocacy groups on both the left and the right, there must be clear checks in place to prevent this from ever happening again.”
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to National Politics & Government