MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Wednesday, September 17, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 59.0° F  Mostly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Corporations Disclose those Contributions

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.

Corporations Disclose those Contributions

Postby you must be joking » Sun May 12, 2013 7:08 am

Last week it was revealed in an article; “Mayor Paul Soglin wants city contractors to disclose lobbying, contributions.”, by Pat Schneider in the Capital Times that Madison Mayor Paul Soglin wants a resolution to require companies that bid on city contracts to disclose contributions to “…..advocacy organizations, including political action committees (PACs) and lobbying groups…..”, This article can be found at: http://host.madison.com/news/local/writ ... z2T4dS5ndX

The part of the article that bothers me the most is the following: “Legislative action since Gov. Scott Walker’s election — including Act 10 in 2011 curtailing the collective bargaining power of most public workers, and more recently, legislation setting levy limits for municipalities and restricting cities’ powers in tenant-landlord law — got Soglin wondering if companies supporting Republican causes would rather lobby against the city or do business with it. He’s betting that exposing such activities might prompt some companies to curtail them.”

Wow how about that attitude of "you’re either for us or you’re against us"; no dissent allowed in the halls of the power in this city. Maybe the next step is to have companies that contribute to conservative or Republican causes labeled as “Enemies of the City”.

All this leaves me with two questions: Out of curiosity what specific advocacy organizations by name, including PACs and lobbying groups should a corporation that does business with the City avoid contributing to? After all, one persons definition of “Republican causes” might be vastly different from someone else’s. Second, the article points out that this resolution was at the behest of Mayor Soglin. So is this in the City's interest or is it in the Mayors? That way some corporate CEO might avoid being on the City's or dare I say, "Soglin's enemies list".

BTW- There is a great caricature of Soglin as Stalin to be found on David Blaska’s Blog in “INBUSINESS Magazine” at http://www.ibmadison.com/Blogger/Bring- ... at-stupid/

I guess it can be said: “If the caricature fits, wear it.”
you must be joking
Forum Addict

Re: Corporations Disclose those Contributions

Postby bdog » Sun May 12, 2013 7:59 am

I hope this goes through. It will be interesting to see how many winning contractors contribute to the same PACs as the Koch Brothers.

Will also be a good way to scrutinize the contracts that are awarded. There could be existing bias that will be exposed. Could be some lawsuits as a result.

"Let the sunshine, let the sunshine in
The sunshine in"
bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bdog » Sun May 12, 2013 8:42 am

If this goes through it is win/win for Republicans.

If you get a bunch of winning contractors that are like-minded to the Koch Brothers then Republicans can crow about them being the most efficient, cost effective companies.

If the winning contractors are from the other side the Republicans can scream bias and losing contractors can file lawsuits.

I don't think a liberal dominated government is really going to want this much sunshine coming down on it.

I predict they will realize this and the proposal will go down in flames.

I hope not though. Bring on the sunshine.
bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby you must be joking » Sun May 12, 2013 8:51 am

bdog wrote:I hope this goes through. It will be interesting to see how many winning contractors contribute to the same PACs as the Koch Brothers.

Will also be a good way to scrutinize the contracts that are awarded. There could be existing bias that will be exposed. Could be some lawsuits as a result.

"Let the sunshine, let the sunshine in
The sunshine in"

bdog,

So you think this would be a good idea? Hmmm, I remember a certain housing project that Care Net wanted to do on the east side. At first the City staffers and the Alder from that district were all in favor of the project. Then the likes of those who are opposed to Care Nets commitment to pro-life shot the whole idea down for religious reasons without even allowing Care Net to address the concerns they raised this despite the fact that even the City Attorny told them that according to federal law, the council was wrong in doing so.

It seems to me that many on the council and the Mayor have placed ideological concerns over the well being of the city.

So my question would be just what advocacy organizations, PAC's, and lobby groups does the Mayor and members of the Council support? How about those department heads in the City? How about a little sunshine on those people who run our fair city?

Maybe we the people should ask for that information before those in City hall ask it of others.
you must be joking
Forum Addict

Postby bdog » Sun May 12, 2013 8:56 am

Of course it's a good idea if you're a Republican. If it goes through it will create a massive shit-storm for those in power.

Once they think it through, this is going down.

My bet is they will blame the downfall on a legal technicality.
bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby WestSideYuppie » Sun May 12, 2013 2:24 pm

I wonder if disclosure is a bigger deal for the corporations than for the politicians. I don't know if any politician has lost an election due to disclosure of a corporate contribution. But I know a number of corporations that have lost my business due to those disclosures.
WestSideYuppie
Forum God/Goddess

Postby you must be joking » Sun May 12, 2013 6:35 pm

If this passes they will not stop here; this is the camel’s nose under the tent. Next will come the demand that those who are principles in any company give information on who they are contributing to. The following will be for those who are the workers in the company. Still yet will be the demand for all companies that do business in, not with Madison.

Flying monkeys are no equal to those in power.

Oh, and for those not initiated with just how the halls of power in our fair city work; our Mayor has a wide variety of department heads, bureaucrats or even the unelected to unleash upon those he or the council find fault with. A business or building application can sail thru committee after committee only to be held up in the final process by some official or activist who wants to throw his or her weight around. God help you if you meet up with someone in power who can make your life a miserable living hell with the only avenue out is the court system. And even if you win in court, good luck on your next dealing with City Hall; your screwed before you’ve started.

In dealing with the City, once you make it known that you are capable of independent thought, that you won’t go hand in hand, in lock step with whatever idea of the moment City government, you find they are against you. No matter what good your company or idea will bring to Madison, once those in power are against you; reason, common sense, and the rule of law are no longer used.

Sadly as one writer put it in another forum; many times you find that ideology is the only guide used by those in power.

Been there, done that.
you must be joking
Forum Addict

Postby peripat » Sun May 12, 2013 6:40 pm

Sounds like an excellent idea to me.
peripat
Forum God/Goddess

Return to Local Politics & Government