MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Friday, December 19, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 26.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

BO's IRS Targets Political Enemies

Races for the Senate, U.S. House, etc. and other issues of national importance.

Re: BO's IRS Targets Political Enemies

Postby pjbogart » Fri May 10, 2013 7:41 pm

Ned Flanders wrote:Of course, tax-exempt groups can be politically active, but it can’t be their main focus

http://www.forbes.com/sites/abrambrown/ ... our-taxes/

Wait a minute. There are Tea Party groups that have a main focus other than politics?

And seriously, I'm not condoning the practice, but if the vast majority of your rhetoric is about how much you hate the government, particularly the IRS, you probably shouldn't be too surprised when some IRS agent "puts you through the ringer".

And the suggestion that Barack Obama is somehow involved is a pretty incredible leap. Is Obama also guilty of raping Air Force cadets? If someone at the EPA fudges some numbers is that also clearly at the behest of Obama?

Ned's conniption probably belongs in a "Thanks, Obama" gif thread.
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Leroy Gates » Sun May 12, 2013 5:24 am

Henry Vilas wrote:Sounds like an over-zealot functionary in a local office. While such partisan use of the IRS should be condemned, it's not like a presidential enemies list.

"David Burge
?@iowahawkblog
Well whaddataknow: turns out "low level IRS employees in Cincinnati" was IRS Chief Counsel in 2011 http://hotair.com/archives/2013/05/11/b ... groups-in-

https://twitter.com/iowahawkblog/status/333350698030886912

"A federal watchdog’s upcoming report says senior Internal Revenue Service officials knew agents were targeting tea party groups in 2011."
Leroy Gates
Forum Addict

Postby Henry Vilas » Sun May 12, 2013 7:46 am

So did Obama sic the IRS on them, like Nixon did with his enemies list?
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Sun May 12, 2013 8:09 am

Henry Vilas wrote:So did Obama sic the IRS on them, like Nixon did with his enemies list?

Obamaphiles should hope so:
On December 20, 1973, the Congressional Joint Committee on Internal Revenue Taxation concluded that people on the "Enemies" list had not been subjected to an unusual number of tax audits.
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Sun May 12, 2013 8:31 am

You left out the next sentence:
The report revealed a second list of about 576 (with some duplicates) supporters and staffers of George McGovern's 1972 presidential campaign given to Internal Revenue Commissioner Johnnie Walters by John Dean on September 11, 1972.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Sun May 12, 2013 8:45 am

Fine, Hen V, so there was not only one but two lists of enemies that, on December 20, 1973, the Congressional Joint Committee on Internal Revenue Taxation concluded had not been subjected to an unusual number of tax audits.

It appears that Obama had only one list with only two types of enemies on it: any entity with "Tea Party" in their name and/or any entity with the word "Patriot".
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bdog » Sun May 12, 2013 8:48 am

Meade wrote:It appears that Obama had only one list with only two types of enemies on it: any entity with "Tea Party" in their name and/or any entity with the word "Patriot".

Was the New England Patriots National Football League team one of the targets?
bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Sun May 12, 2013 9:05 am

bdog wrote:Was the New England Patriots National Football League team one of the targets?

I hope so. Go Pack!
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Sun May 12, 2013 10:00 am

Meade wrote:It appears that Obama had only one list with only two types of enemies on it: any entity with "Tea Party" in their name and/or any entity with the word "Patriot".

You know, for all of the griping about being more civil and staying on topic, this is the sort of thing that really needs to end. For Laurence Meade to use the Daily Page and Isthmus to spread lies serves no benefit to the owners of this board or the people who read these pages. To this point in the story, Obama does not have a list and there isn't even a suggestion that "BO's IRS" were operating on any orders from anyone within the administration.

Laurence Meade is lying. He's not offering information to make us more knowledgeable, he's offering information to make us less knowledgeable. Readers of the Isthmus and the Daily Page deserve better than that.
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bdog » Sun May 12, 2013 10:28 am

Pot calling Kettle black alert !!!

Peej your lies about me in the Benghazi thread are more subtle.

But lies nonetheless.
bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby david cohen » Sun May 12, 2013 11:12 am

I don't know about you hombres, but I like the idea that the IRS would question the potential tax exempt status of any group involved in either the political or religious spheres.
david cohen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Sun May 12, 2013 12:23 pm

Peej your lies about me in the Benghazi thread are more subtle.

I think peej lying about bdog (where'd he do that? never mind) and LM lying about President Obama and the IRS are somehow different in scale, though both have the same net effect: zero. Or possibly less than zero in the case of Meade, because anything he says automatically gets reversed by the readership and ends up a net loss for whatever inscrutable viewpoint Meade is innuendo-ing about.

--
We need more scrutiny and a big overhaul of who gets tax exempt status, and that goes for entities on all sides of the political spectrum. I'm not happy about picking up the tax slack for rabid anti-abortionist organizations who claim religious status and I'm not happy about picking up the slack for wealthy liberals who run fancy homes for well-to-do elderly people under religious protections either. What's fair is fair. If you receive the benefits of living in a modern civil society and you have money, you need to share the cost of running that society.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby david cohen » Sun May 12, 2013 1:04 pm

Not to mention HMO's who claim to be non-profit to exempt themselves from real property taxes, when PROFIT is their goal (at the expense of those who pay them insurance premiums). Remember when the IRS threatened to send agents into Sunday services to see if ministers were advising their congregants on voting issues? As long as wealthy institutions and individuals get to claim tax exempt status, the IRS needs to review each and every one of them, regardless of name.
david cohen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Sun May 12, 2013 7:17 pm

Previous Presidents, including great ones like Roosevelt, have used the IRS against their enemies. But I don’t think Barack Obama ever wanted to be on the same page as Richard Nixon. In this specific case, he now is.
-Joe Klein http://swampland.time.com/2013/05/11/ir ... z2T7wsOFuN

Well-said.
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Mon May 13, 2013 8:40 am

david cohen wrote:I don't know about you hombres, but I like the idea that the IRS would question the potential tax exempt status of any group involved in either the political or religious spheres.

I agree. Seems like some long needed oversight finally happening. We've had an explosion of these tax exempt electioneering groups. No one was wrongfully charged with anything just looked at more closely. There are dozens of other red flags the IRS will use to dig deeper in the world we live in these super PAC's need the extra scrutiny.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to National Politics & Government