MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Tuesday, September 2, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 66.0° F  Fair
Collapse Photo Bar

Craft Beer Week experiences?

Bars, wine, beer, cocktails, drunken escapades

Craft Beer Week experiences?

Postby david cohen » Sun May 12, 2013 3:07 pm

I missed the first weekend as I was traveling out east, but I surely enjoyed the Bells tap takeover at Dexters yesterday. The Hopslam slammed me nicely! Please tell about the yummy beers you got to sip this week around town.
david cohen
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Craft Beer Week experiences?

Postby gargantua » Sun May 12, 2013 4:11 pm

Just down the road the Malt House was serving hoppy beers, Hopslam among them. My favorite was actually Potosi's Hopsmith DIPA.
gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby kimm » Mon May 13, 2013 9:56 am

We had an incompatible work schedule last week, so only made it to a few non-headline events, which was fine because we avoided crowds. A quick stop at Old Chicago for some Dark Horse beers also yielded some good Sam Adams special releases (though the Double Agent IPL was a loss to the Dark Horse Double Crooked Tree in our blind tasting).

The Beer vs. Wine event at Barriques was fun, though we'd tried all the beers before (the Lake Louie Apricot Goddess would've been a surprise had we not just tried it a week before). For $10/pp with five wine and five beer samples, plus cheese and specialty salamis, it was a good deal. I'd definitely go again if they offer it next year.
kimm
Forum Addict

Postby jman111 » Mon May 13, 2013 11:00 am

Founders KBS vertical at Dexter's was a highlight.
The 15% abv Bolt Cutter at The Coopers was strong (duh), but tasty.
jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Postby david cohen » Mon May 13, 2013 5:29 pm

Did anyone partake in the Real Ale event(s)? I missed that and I could just live on cask conditioned/dispensed real ale. Whenever I get to England, that's all I sip:)
david cohen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Mon May 13, 2013 5:55 pm

Had a bucket of Coors Lights at Second City on Friday night.

Meh.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby david cohen » Mon May 13, 2013 7:53 pm

jjoyce wrote:Had a bucket of Coors Lights at Second City on Friday night.

Meh.

It's craft beer, Jason, not carft beer;) Of course you could have gone across the street to the Chicago Ale House!
david cohen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Tue May 14, 2013 10:46 am

david cohen wrote:Did anyone partake in the Real Ale event(s)? I missed that and I could just live on cask conditioned/dispensed real ale. Whenever I get to England, that's all I sip:)

Mentioned it in my post on the Angelic reunion event. It was a blast, and as odd as the Eastside Club seems for the setting, it was perfect. Covered service area, big back yard, and you can see the Great Taste grounds across the lake.
TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby john_titor » Fri May 02, 2014 5:14 pm

I am actually trying to go this year. I am looking for a replacement for GTotMW and any other fest where a ton of people can drink free beer. Bar capacity is more my speed these days.

I know IPAs are way uncool but I like their style. This is where my theory backfires; Old Chicago. Not only Old Chicago, a crowded Old Chicago.

Come Back Inn could be fun.

Never cared much for cask ales. While tasty, I have a hard time getting over the feeling of drinking flat beer. And it is sneaky and devastating to many, especially in the festival setting.

Quivey's Beer & Brat Sampler could be nice if I want to come back from lunch drunk.

Trixie's Liquor - Hopslam! Release- We saved some cases for you!
There ya go!

I might even give sours another try.

Am I missing anything?
john_titor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Mon May 05, 2014 11:17 am

We attended the Surly event at Tipsy Cow Friday evening. It started at 4. We rolled in at 4:20 and the place was already wall-to-wall packed and people just kept streaming in. I did manage to get a tasty Surly Furious at the bar. I felt sorry for the wait staff as it was apparent that they were way over their capacity of 99. It was like navigating through a mosh pit. Went elsewhere for dinner, then checked back in around 7. Still crowded, and they were already completely out of all 4 varieties of Surly. We proceeded to the Epic Brewing event at Star Bar. Not nearly as crowded, and I had a very solid offering which I believe was named Hopulent IPA.

Sunday morning I had the pleasure of waiting in line for six hours to get Great Taste tickets. One needs to get there earlier every year. I tried the Vintage location first at 5:45 and I was already too late. I proceeded immediately over to Steve's...no problem. You could have gotten to that site by as late as 7:30 and still had a chance to score tickets.
It's a tough slog, but it will be worth it come August.
gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby O.J. » Mon May 05, 2014 11:31 am

gargantua wrote:We attended the Surly event at Tipsy Cow Friday evening. It started at 4. We rolled in at 4:20 and the place was already wall-to-wall packed and people just kept streaming in. I did manage to get a tasty Surly Furious at the bar. I felt sorry for the wait staff as it was apparent that they were way over their capacity of 99. It was like navigating through a mosh pit. Went elsewhere for dinner, then checked back in around 7. Still crowded, and they were already completely out of all 4 varieties of Surly.

Unless they sold out, Trixie's Liquor has Furious and Blakkr available(limit 1 can of each per person).
O.J.
Forum God/Goddess

Postby david cohen » Tue May 13, 2014 4:00 pm

My highlight this year was the San Diego event at Paul's Club on Friday. Alesmith's IPA was, by far, the best balanced American IPA I have ever quaffed. Green Flash makes some tasty stuff as well. I hear Alesmith will be available soon (if not already) in Madison:)
david cohen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jman111 » Tue May 13, 2014 4:11 pm

david cohen wrote:I hear Alesmith will be available soon (if not already) in Madison:)

Already available.

And delicious.
jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Return to Beer, wine & cocktails