MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Friday, December 19, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 26.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Missing: Former Terrorists in Witness Protection Plan

Races for the Senate, U.S. House, etc. and other issues of national importance.

Missing: Former Terrorists in Witness Protection Plan

Postby Francis Di Domizio » Thu May 16, 2013 12:29 pm

First on CNN: Witness protection program lost two former "known or suspected terrorists

I'm thinking at this point in the week, any federal agency with a major screwups they've been keeping undercover should just have a press confrence and let it all out.

Basic summary, The Federal Witness Protection Program has a small number of former or suspected terrorists in their system. The vast majortiy since before 9/11/2001. These witnesses provided information related to several Terrorist attacks in the 90's. After giving these individuals and their families (if nessesary) new identities, the US Marshals didn't bother to update the Terrorist Screening Center with these individuals new names and locations. Not entirely surprising giving that the US Marshal's generally don't share that kind of information. Not entirely smart because the individuals in question, were either former terrorists or suspected of being terrorists, and have certain skill sets that you might want to keep a closer eye on if your goal is to prevent attacks on US citizens. Now 2 are apparently missing.

INTERIM REPORT ON THE DEPARTMENT OF JUSTICE’S HANDLING OF KNOWN OR SUSPECTED TERRORISTS ADMITTED INTO THE FEDERAL WITNESS SECURITY PROGRAM
Francis Di Domizio
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Missing: Former Terrorists in Witness Protection Plan

Postby Meade » Thu May 16, 2013 3:14 pm

I thought, when I read your headline - you had to be joking. Man. Has anyone been in charge in this administration?

We could use some hope and some change. Not like the old hope and change. Change the old change to new change. I hope.
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Thu May 16, 2013 3:27 pm

If you read the report, you'll see that the problems occurred under someone else's watch. Only 2 witnesses have entered the program since 2001. The biggest problem was the sharing of new names once these people entered the program. They couldn't be sufficiently tracked. This report was conducted by the current administration to correct some other administration's mistakes. How's that for hope and change. I'll wait for your outrage with the previous administration.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Mean Scenester » Thu May 16, 2013 3:51 pm

Stebben84 wrote:If you read the report, you'll see that the problems occurred under someone else's watch.

What makes you think that? He'll see what he wants to see. Dude has a lizard for a brain. Not a lizard brain, mind you, but a shriveled dessicated lizard carcass where his grey matter ought to be.

p.s. All other fuck-ups under the GWB administration's watch are Obama's fault too. I mean ... doi.
Mean Scenester
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stomach » Thu May 16, 2013 3:53 pm

Meade wrote:We could use some hope and some change. Not like the old hope and change. Change the old change to new change. I hope.

I know, right? I received a letter the other day that the city will be replacing part of the sidewalk in front of my house to the tune of about $450. Really starting to regret voting for this Obama guy. If this had happened 4 years ago I would not have voted for him again, I can tell you that much.
Stomach
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Thu May 16, 2013 4:02 pm

Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Francis Di Domizio » Thu May 16, 2013 4:13 pm

Stebben84 wrote:If you read the report, you'll see that the problems occurred under someone else's watch. Only 2 witnesses have entered the program since 2001. The biggest problem was the sharing of new names once these people entered the program. They couldn't be sufficiently tracked. This report was conducted by the current administration to correct some other administration's mistakes. How's that for hope and change. I'll wait for your outrage with the previous administration.

Not entirely accurate, only 2 have entered in the last 6 year. 60% of all former known or suspected terrorists in the program entered prior to 2001. It's stated in the report appendix that less than 1% of all program participants were linked to terrorism. With 18,300 participants since it's inception that puts the number of terrorism linked participants, at less then 183, with less than 73 entering after 2001 but only 2 who entered the program in the last 6 years mostly likely witnesses of the 2007 plot to bomb the JFK International Airport and the 2009 NYC Subway Suicide Bomb Plot.

You are correct that it was the current administration that saw a need to improve the process for handling terrorism related cases, and requested the audit. Some idiot wanting to play gottcha might point out that 60% of the terrorism linked participants entered under Clinton. Of course such a person would be neglecting to note that most of the current Terrorism tracking process were not put into place until after 9/11/2001. So you are also corret in pointing out that this mess was created in the previous administration.
Francis Di Domizio
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Thu May 16, 2013 4:22 pm

One of the problems they had was information being shared with the TSA and the no fly list. That didn't start until after 9/11. Jeebus, was anyone in charge of that administration.

But yes, only about 40% under Bush, 60% under Clinton, and 2 under Obama. Man that guy is a fuck up.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Sandi » Thu May 16, 2013 4:36 pm

Meade wrote:We could use some hope and some change. Not like the old hope and change. Change the old change to new change. I hope.

Twenty years ago we had Johnny Cash, Bob Hope and Steve Jobs.

Now we have no Cash, no Hope and no Jobs. PLEASE! Don't let Kevin Bacon die.
Sandi
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Fri May 17, 2013 8:12 am

Corny but cute, Sandi.
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Leroy Gates » Fri May 17, 2013 11:32 am

Nueske's is strategically located between several Indian tribes and the Posse Commitatus.
Leroy Gates
Forum Addict

Return to National Politics & Government