MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Thursday, September 18, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 51.0° F  Fog/Mist
Collapse Photo Bar

Gyros, Burrito, and Ribs

Where are you eating and what do you think? What's opening, closing, succeeding, failing?

Re: Gyros, Burrito, and Ribs

Postby Stebben84 » Tue Apr 30, 2013 4:21 pm

Jademan7 wrote:Love the burritos at Habanero's on Stoughton Rd. Across from Farm n Fleet.
Always fresh, authentic, and some serious heat, if that's what you're looking for.

I'll second that. Some of my favorite in town.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby kimm » Wed May 01, 2013 11:39 am

If any of you are on the SW side, or are out on a drive this summer, try Bob's Bitchin' BBQ in Dodgeville. Best ribs I've had around the area (haven't tried the Blowin' Smoke cart). Plus, a bag o' fried donut holes for dessert. Wings are great, too. Skip the mac n' cheese side. It's a nice atmosphere, but is always crowded on Fri & Sat nights, and there's no bar.

http://www.bobsbitchinbbq.com/
kimm
Forum Addict

Postby Ttusker » Thu May 16, 2013 9:15 pm

I finally made it out to Trader Gus' Gyros out on CTH M tonight, and I think his gyros are the best in town. I'd heard good things about the place here and elsewhere, but I live on the far east side, and just don't visit the far north side often. However, I just helped a friend move out that way, and decided to finally go to Gus'.

The guy at the counter was very friendly and enthusiastic, describing how everything is homemade right downstairs, telling how Gus used to be on State Street (which I already knew), and so on. Anyway, the gyro I had was exactly like the ones I remember falling in love with at the Parthenon back in the '70s. Fries were good too, but man, that sandwich! I could barely pick the thing up with two hands, and I have big hands. The tomatoes tasted like tomatoes; there were little pieces of parsley and cucumber in the delicious sauce; there were lots of onions; the meat was perfect (not too salty or greasy); and the pita was able to hold everything together almost till the end. Best gyro I've had in a LONG time.

I'm sorry I waited so long to check out Trader Gus'!
Ttusker

Postby kimm » Fri May 17, 2013 9:50 am

Anyone try Blair St. BBQ yet? I think they finally opened last week.

Edited to get the right name.
Last edited by kimm on Thu May 23, 2013 10:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
kimm
Forum Addict

Postby Bbqking » Fri May 17, 2013 11:25 am

kimm wrote:Anyone try Baldwin St. BBQ yet? I think they finally opened last week.

Yep. Not impressed. Considering it was a soft opening, I will give them another chance. We ordered pulled pork, rotisserie chicken, and chicken salad. Sides consisted of beans, coleslaw, and potato salad. Nothing I tasted would make me want to come back. Hate to sound harsh, I give the place a year or less.
Bbqking

Postby workboy7 » Fri May 17, 2013 3:14 pm

Diggitys, my restaurant located inside Pooley's Sports Bar on the far Eastside, is now offering gyros. Hand cut, our own cucumber sauce, thin cut onions, fresh cut roma tomatoes piled into a hot garlic-slathered pita....I'll put mine against anyone in town.
workboy7
Forum Addict

Postby kimm » Tue May 21, 2013 1:59 pm

Bbqking wrote:
kimm wrote:Anyone try Baldwin St. BBQ yet? I think they finally opened last week.

Yep. Not impressed. Considering it was a soft opening, I will give them another chance. We ordered pulled pork, rotisserie chicken, and chicken salad. Sides consisted of beans, coleslaw, and potato salad. Nothing I tasted would make me want to come back. Hate to sound harsh, I give the place a year or less.

I'm assuming a lot of people agreed with you. On their Facebook page:
"Thank you everyone for your support during our first week!!! We are bringing in some new faces to our team and will be improving on our already great food and service. " Chef out, maybe?
kimm
Forum Addict

Postby jman111 » Tue May 21, 2013 2:17 pm

Blair St. bbq, right?
jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Postby kimm » Thu May 23, 2013 10:23 am

jman111 wrote:Blair St. bbq, right?

Yes-oops.
kimm
Forum Addict

Postby john_titor » Thu Jan 09, 2014 7:11 pm

Ttusker wrote:I finally made it out to Trader Gus' Gyros out on CTH M tonight, and I think his gyros are the best in town.

I too made it out there last fall when business brought me out that way. I wasn't that impressed. It certainly does get a nice steady crowd, perhaps it warrants another try.

My money is still on Atlantis Taverna Greek & Mediterranean in Sun Prairie. I haven't been since they stopped serving lunch but what struck me was the texture and spice. Very flavorful, thick and juicy. I also liked Mediterranean Cafe. The meat was not so remarkable, but the rest of the plate was. It is sad when a gyros plate comes with a wedge of pink tomato and shards of yellow iceberg lettuce. I digress.

Stebben84 wrote:
Jademan7 wrote:Love the burritos at Habanero's on Stoughton Rd. Across from Farm n Fleet.
Always fresh, authentic, and some serious heat, if that's what you're looking for.

I'll second that. Some of my favorite in town.

I think I went there a while back. It made me think of Chipotle, if that is the same spot. I almost went there the other day, but I went to this place off Independence on the East side. It was weird.
When I try now to find any information about the name or reviews, I can find nothing.

Warning 1: I went in. It was cold. Two other patrons, all had coats on.

Warning 2: $10 for a burrito

Warning 3: "No, we don't have tap water. Bottled?" Isn't that like State Law?

Warning 4: "No I'm good." Two minutes later walks over and sets bottled water down at my table.

Warning 5: Giant misshapen burrito dumped at my table, rolled with as much efficacy as a sophomore on a 2112 LP. Then a giant plate of rice and soul-less beans. I tasted the beans and left the rice.
The steak in the burrito was tender, yet without flavor.

Warning 6: I had to go and no employees were in the store. After about five minutes the cook came back and then ran out to find someone. Another five minutes passed and a different person never before seen in store, came in to ring me up. "What, burrito?" "Yeah" "And bottled water?" "No man. I didn't even touch it." Didn't charge. That was nice.

Warning 7: As I left someone with a large back-pack talking to himself approached from a ways away. He was talking so loudly and dressed in such a dapper fashion I assumed he was on bluetooth. still don't know but am leaning towards an inner-conversation.

In conclusion I think I was ensnared by some secret people that made me go to this restaurant that stopped existing two days ago.

I did not care for the burrito.
john_titor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Jademan7 » Fri Jan 10, 2014 2:10 pm

Wow, that certainly doesn't sound like Habanero's. I think I would have left after 2-3 red flags instead of staying the entire time. I've heard that Habanero's recently opened up in the old Rocky Rococco's place at Sherman and Northport. I haven't been to that one, but I will when I get to the North/East side. Has anyone else been to the new place?
Jademan7
Forum Addict

Postby jman111 » Fri Jan 10, 2014 2:26 pm

Jademan7 wrote:Has anyone else been to the new place?
Yep. It's very similar to the Stoughton Rd location, in terms of service and food quality. Things were a bit sketchy at first (our first visit, especially), with some menu items not being available and staff obviously not being up-to-speed. It's nice to have this option closer to home.

Now if only Taqueria Guadalahara would open a location closer....
jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Tue Jan 14, 2014 5:40 pm

I'm on a serious diet, my greatest challenge are meats like chorizo, gyros mystery meat, and (oh lord) ribs.

I respectfully request that the site administrator remove this thread, as the title keeps popping up in my thread list.
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Previous

Return to Restaurant News & Reviews