MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Monday, October 20, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 52.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

If it walks like a Nixon...

Races for the Senate, U.S. House, etc. and other issues of national importance.

If it walks like a Nixon...

Postby Bludgeon » Sat May 18, 2013 11:08 pm

If it looks like a Nixon, swims like a Nixon, and quacks like a Nixon, then it probably is a Nixon.

Does Obama pass the Nixon duck test? As yet, undetermined.

In the form of a joke: What do you get if you take Richard Nixon and his Watergate style administration, except the press loves him and his voters don't care?

A: Barack Obama.

I take that back: some of them care. But, I'm tired of the rhetoric. It's beyond tiring. At this point, honestly, the major stuff in the headlines - Benghazi, IRS, DOJ/AP, DOJ/++++ - are pretty much moot, in my opinion. The sheer level of misdirection and subterfuge and corruption - it's almost a flattery to this administration, to spend time deciphering it.

So my kahlua infused point is: is it part of being a partisan, that every member of a political party should be ready to circle the wagons, as sort of a knee jerk reaction? As in, "Me, follower; leader, attacked; protect leader," in a sequence where actual guilt and actual fault never enter into the equation?

I mean, vote for whooooooooever you want to, but isn't casting that vote supposed to coincide with a point of interest, one would hope a noble one?

Example: Benghazi. I'm actually surprised by the level of defense and Sandi please do not spam-bomb the entire thread; but Benghazi - a person could say, "To hell with all the other details, at the very least, we can acknowledge that if this diplomatic complex is not a facility that we're able to militarily defend, then, sending our personnel there in those conditions was a mistake in the first place."

So if your guy is wrong, or made a mistake, or someone in his administration made a mistake, why in a free country, where is the vested interest in going on offense, right and wrong be damned?

To me, I consider this a new development in American progressivism.

Response to criticism:

1. Attack critic
2. Threaten messengers (Bob Woodward)
3. Work to misdirect and confuse the narrative.
4. Downplay the impact
5. Distance from controversy
6. Dish up the scapegoats
7. Blame political opponents
8. Bury story with contending scandals
9. Choreograph false resolutions (IRS)

I mean, where and when was Woodward's claim to fame again? Watttttttttttterggggaaaattte? Seriously, the list above goes on. It goes on so far, it's literally not worth detailing for free. You know, [/drink], I see conduct like this, [/drink], and it's not so hard to see anymore, [/drink], how a small minority party like the Nazis could take over a whole country when the majority opposed them. The secret is, you have to have rabies.

[/drink].

I look around lately and see a lot of people ready to defend the indefensible. Not a pretty sight.
Bludgeon
Forum God/Goddess

Re: If it walks like a Nixon...

Postby alpuz » Sat May 18, 2013 11:14 pm

kahlua?
alpuz

Postby DCB » Sun May 19, 2013 1:15 am

Now here's the point, Bob: please get me the names of the Jews, you know, the big Jewish contributors of the [opposition party].
All right. Could we please investigate some of the cocksuckers?

Who said that: Nixon? or Obama?

I can't tell!
DCB
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Leroy Gates » Sun May 19, 2013 4:31 am

A brilliant scientific use of alcohol as a solvent to wash away BS. Thanks, Bludgeon. Now be good to yourself, that's probably enough science for one weekend.
Leroy Gates
Forum Addict

Postby Bludgeon » Sun May 19, 2013 11:16 am

DCB wrote:
Now here's the point, Bob: please get me the names of the Jews, you know, the big Jewish contributors of the [opposition party].
All right. Could we please investigate some of the cocksuckers?

Who said that: Nixon? or Obama?

I can't tell!

Let's see, where were we? Oh yah - you were reaffirming my point. Point being, as bad as the Nixon era was, how much worse would it have been, if the press at large were besmitten rather than diametrically opposed to his administration? What would the Nixon administration have looked like without the political will to investigate? If the press's first instinct were to disbelieve, and the second impulse was simply to not want to know?

One big difference between today and then is that, then, people were less partisan to the extent that a president overstepping his bounds as the leader of a free people, actually was enough to make partisans question their allegiance. Nixon resigned, but the damage spread so far that Ford had no chance.

Today, a partisan media is complicit, not opposed, to this administration. "Legitimate media," Joe Biden calls it: a phrase that should give people the chills, when you take it in context and consider the implications. "Legitimate media," will never dish you up "Nixon Tapes," on Obama.

Rather, if they come into exclusive possession of material seen as damaging to the president, like the Khalidi video, for example, 'legitimate media' is thus predisposed to refuse its release. i.e., who knows or who will ever know, what Obama said to /conversant A about /subject B? We can't even get a real story on the information we do have.

Do you see the contrast?
Bludgeon
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Grubendol » Sun May 19, 2013 1:59 pm

It's long been clear that the singular defining characteristic of the right-wing psyche is its bottomless capacity for psychological projection. Every day dishes out new examples, but this is a self-bludgeoning for the ages, at least in terms of this here Forum.
Grubendol

Postby snoqueen » Sun May 19, 2013 3:35 pm

For a while I was replying to Bludg and it seemed like, occasionally, we'd have reasonable dialogue.

Today's screed, though, is so wacked out I can't make head or tail of it except I think he's... oh hell. There's nowhere to start. I mean, Breitbart??

I'll pass.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bludgeon » Sun May 19, 2013 4:12 pm

snoqueen wrote:For a while I was replying to Bludg and it seemed like, occasionally, we'd have reasonable dialogue.

Today's screed, though, is so wacked out I can't make head or tail of it except I think he's... oh hell. There's nowhere to start. I mean, Breitbart??

I'll pass.

I have to say, I can't see what would be considered 'negative' enough to be a screed, or what's not to get. I mean, are you not familiar with the Khalidi video story? It's just one needle in a haystack of Rezko's, Blagojeviches, I mean you name it.
Bludgeon
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Sun May 19, 2013 4:44 pm

I mean, are you not familiar with the Khalidi video story?

Well, thanks to your Breitbart link, I now know it's a video apparently only one person has ever seen.

That's enough for me.

Are you not aware about 90% of what you take for revealed truth is similarly shaky?

And with the huge variety of viewpoints out here on the internet, I still can't agree the administration is somehow controlling the media. If they are, they're doing an abysmally poor job of it. In fact, a conspiracy theorist might argue they're doing the worst possible job in order to... what? Make people think they're so incompetent they can't even control the media?

I think this country could use more aggressive reporting, but that doesn't mean throwing out all reasonable standards of journalism.

I also think we could use a discerning standard of readership that realizes every time more information on a topic is revealed or made public, that does not mean everything said about it previously was "lies."

Also, could you post a link to the LA Times piece you're referencing? I can't find a thing, though I could have failed to come up with the right search term.

I did like their editorial about Benghazi, and since you're an LA Times reader you might like it too:

http://www.latimes.com/news/opinion/edi ... 7249.story
Last edited by snoqueen on Sun May 19, 2013 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bludgeon » Sun May 19, 2013 5:17 pm

I don't take that much for gods'honest truth, I'm a natural born skeptic. I'm surprised not in a 'shame shame' way, just surprised you don't remember it from the 2008 campaign. I know you've said that the POTUS is at least a flawed individual - are we all not? Still, these details are noteworthy in terms of world leaders.

What I don't get is how partisans out of a sheer desire to win, are willing to get behind an individual they likely don't really understand. Republicans with Nixon is a good example; he was surely far from a conservative, most would agree.

If you watch the 1960 Kennedy/Nixon debates its easy to see why political historians refer to it as 'The Seinfeld Election,' (an election about nothing); because it's nearly impossible to distinguish any tangible stated difference between the two candidates.

Which is something I find to be really fascinating, because, other than a strong political personality, the question is, what were they electing? What were Nixon's core convictions? How does a person with his sheer lack of tangible conviction fit into either the Democratic or the Republican party?

Same as to this president. Where does he stand on Israel? I'm not religious - thus don't care except for the pragmatics of it - but I think it's fair to say he sees the US's commitment as something he resents; which is the topic of the Khalidi video. But he's branded as pro-Israel and the president's supporters (see my 9 steps above) are vehemently antagonistic against the idea that he isn't.

As an atheist, I have a hard time believing this president is a Christian, much less a Muslim; and I doubt many of the atheists on TDPF really believe Obama's a devout either. But we're led to believe that's the case.

I mean, pick a subject. Or pick a political opponent - oh, say, Jack Ryan - once married to the heartbreakingly lovely Jeri Ryan (7 of 9) who was taken down in the newspapers in a sordid string-pulling campaign, until withdrawing from the race then state senator Obama had no one to run against except Alan Keys, an out of state generic black republican.

Like I say, everybody vote for whooooooomsoever thou may wish, but win or lose I have questions about the bigger picture. With all the split-hair partisanship, the bigger picture is the only thing that seems constructive, to discuss.
Bludgeon
Forum God/Goddess

Postby wack wack » Mon May 20, 2013 8:42 am

Bludgeon wrote:What I don't get is how partisans out of a sheer desire to win, are willing to get behind an individual they likely don't really understand. Republicans with Nixon is a good example; he was surely far from a conservative, most would agree.

Republicans with Romney is a better example.
wack wack
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Mon May 20, 2013 9:36 am

wack wack wrote:
Bludgeon wrote:What I don't get is how partisans out of a sheer desire to win, are willing to get behind an individual they likely don't really understand. Republicans with Nixon is a good example; he was surely far from a conservative, most would agree.

Republicans with Romney is a better example.

Yeah. Nixon is going way too far back. You could be a conservative with some centrist views and still be politically viable back then.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Return to National Politics & Government