MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Thursday, November 27, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 22.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

The movement to destroy public schools

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.

The movement to destroy public schools

Postby Henry Vilas » Mon May 20, 2013 9:21 am

Out of state groups are pushing vouchers for Madison, but their ultimate goal is to totally do away with public education. This Michigan group is attacking the MMSD. They are funded in part by the Bradley Foundation, run by old money conservative Catholics from Milwaukee.

Why is EAGnews, the website for a Michigan-based “education reform” group — proudly pro-voucher, pro-charter school, anti-union and basically anti-public schools — blasting local Madison media outlets with alarming press releases about spending in the Madison School District?

To galvanize Madison citizens into demanding accountability from school district officials, says Steve Gunn, communications director for the group.

To promote EAG’s pro-voucher agenda, say critics.


Scott Walker, when not running for the presidency or giving lip service to job creation, is pushing vouchers in an attempt to dismantle public education and give taxpayer dollars to private (often religious) schools.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 20161
Joined: Wed Sep 04, 2002 8:57 pm
Location: Name sez it all

Re: The movement to destroy public schools

Postby Ned Flanders » Mon May 20, 2013 10:59 am

Competition leads to focus on the customers: parents and students. Not the unions.
Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 13515
Joined: Wed Jun 13, 2001 2:48 pm

Re: The movement to destroy public schools

Postby fisticuffs » Mon May 20, 2013 11:01 am

Public schools aren't a business. The bad ones need to be fixed not competed against. We want them all to work well not just the ones in rich neighborhoods.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 7849
Joined: Sat Jul 24, 2004 2:49 pm
Location: Slightly outside of Madison

Re: The movement to destroy public schools

Postby The One » Mon May 20, 2013 11:04 am

It couldn't be that they are a Catholic group trying to get public money to private Catholic schools, right? Why do you think they are out to destroy public schools? Is it because they're not carrying the teacher union banner or is it because God has no place in a school?
The One
Senior Member
 
Posts: 65
Joined: Thu Oct 20, 2011 4:45 pm

Re: The movement to destroy public schools

Postby The One » Mon May 20, 2013 11:12 am

fisticuffs wrote:Public schools aren't a business. The bad ones need to be fixed not competed against. We want them all to work well not just the ones in rich neighborhoods.

From what I've seen, competition favors the customers which in this case are students.
The One
Senior Member
 
Posts: 65
Joined: Thu Oct 20, 2011 4:45 pm

Re: The movement to destroy public schools

Postby Henry Vilas » Mon May 20, 2013 11:14 am

Walker, soon after being elected, cut nearly a billion dollars from state aid to public schools. Now he wants to give state (taxpayer) money to private schools in the form of vouchers. Most of it would go to parochial schools which are mainly Catholic. Those moves are an attempt to decimate public education.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 20161
Joined: Wed Sep 04, 2002 8:57 pm
Location: Name sez it all

Re: The movement to destroy public schools

Postby fisticuffs » Mon May 20, 2013 11:16 am

The One wrote:
fisticuffs wrote:Public schools aren't a business. The bad ones need to be fixed not competed against. We want them all to work well not just the ones in rich neighborhoods.

From what I've seen, competition favors the customers which in this case are students.


They aren't customers they are students. They are the product of the schools. I want good product. Punishing "bad" schools doesn't make them better. In most cases the "bad" schools are that way becasue of the parents. Poorer schools, less attentive parents need MORE funding to overcome the odds and fulfill their mission not less. Private schools shouldn't receive public money especially at the expense of the public school.

Now back to your union bashing which has NOTHING to do with educating children.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 7849
Joined: Sat Jul 24, 2004 2:49 pm
Location: Slightly outside of Madison

Re: The movement to destroy public schools

Postby Detritus » Mon May 20, 2013 11:17 am

The One wrote:
fisticuffs wrote:Public schools aren't a business. The bad ones need to be fixed not competed against. We want them all to work well not just the ones in rich neighborhoods.

From what I've seen, competition favors the customers which in this case are students.

Then you haven't seen very much. Students are not "customers"--they are the product being sold to private companies, who are the true customers.
Detritus
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 2513
Joined: Wed May 13, 2009 9:42 pm

Re: The movement to destroy public schools

Postby HawkHead » Mon May 20, 2013 11:20 am

Detritus wrote:
The One wrote:
fisticuffs wrote:Public schools aren't a business. The bad ones need to be fixed not competed against. We want them all to work well not just the ones in rich neighborhoods.

From what I've seen, competition favors the customers which in this case are students.

Then you haven't seen very much. Students are not "customers"--they are the product being sold to private companies, who are the true customers.


I was just about to post the same thing.

If corporations truly want the best employees why not start their own schoools to train employees from day one?

The answer is cost. Corporations cannot afford the dropout rate and students that realize half way thru the are not interested in corporate life or want to focus on sports or the arts or something else.
HawkHead
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 880
Joined: Tue Jun 05, 2012 1:29 pm

Re: The movement to destroy public schools

Postby The One » Mon May 20, 2013 11:25 am

fisticuffs wrote:They aren't customers they are students. They are the product of the schools. I want good product. Punishing "bad" schools doesn't make them better. In most cases the "bad" schools are that way becasue of the parents. Poorer schools, less attentive parents need MORE funding to overcome the odds and fulfill their mission not less. Private schools shouldn't receive public money especially at the expense of the public school.

Now back to your union bashing which has NOTHING to do with educating children.

I agree that unions have nothing to do with educating children. Try telling them that, since they seem to always pop their head up whenever there is a voucher debate.

If I'm reading your argument correctly, you're saying that no matter where these kids are placed, the school will be bad because they have bad parents, so what's the point in moving them to a better structured school.
The One
Senior Member
 
Posts: 65
Joined: Thu Oct 20, 2011 4:45 pm

Re: The movement to destroy public schools

Postby fisticuffs » Mon May 20, 2013 11:45 am

If I'm reading your argument correctly, you're saying that no matter where these kids are placed, the school will be bad because they have bad parents, so what's the point in moving them to a better structured school.


You're not reading it correctly.
Try telling them that, since they seem to always pop their head up whenever there is a voucher debate.


The unions pop there head up in any public education debate. This does not mean opposition to voucher expansion has anything to do with the Unions. These are people who care deeply about education. If that's difficult for you to understand I think we may have found our problem.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 7849
Joined: Sat Jul 24, 2004 2:49 pm
Location: Slightly outside of Madison

Re: The movement to destroy public schools

Postby wack wack » Mon May 20, 2013 11:47 am

The push to destroy public schooling isn't about quality, it's about content.
wack wack
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 3176
Joined: Mon Jan 20, 2003 5:32 pm

Re: The movement to destroy public schools

Postby The One » Mon May 20, 2013 11:53 am

fisticuffs wrote:
If I'm reading your argument correctly, you're saying that no matter where these kids are placed, the school will be bad because they have bad parents, so what's the point in moving them to a better structured school.


You're not reading it correctly.
Try telling them that, since they seem to always pop their head up whenever there is a voucher debate.


The unions pop there head up in any public education debate. This does not mean opposition to voucher expansion has anything to do with the Unions. These are people who care deeply about education. If that's difficult for you to understand I think we may have found our problem.

These are people who care deeply about education as long as they can collect union dues from the teachers, which they can't from many charter schools. Whatever happened to giving the parents and students the best opportunity for education?

If the problem is "bad" schools don't have enough money, please tell me the amount needed to make it a "good" school
Last edited by The One on Mon May 20, 2013 11:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
The One
Senior Member
 
Posts: 65
Joined: Thu Oct 20, 2011 4:45 pm

Re: The movement to destroy public schools

Postby fisticuffs » Mon May 20, 2013 11:54 am

Whatever happened to giving the parents and students the best opportunity for education?


You have evidence that Charter schools offer that?

Parents have school choice. We just don't need to subsidize it with public school funding.

What other subsidies for private business do you support/ Should I get to use taxpayer dollars to hire private security? private garbage pickup? private water?
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 7849
Joined: Sat Jul 24, 2004 2:49 pm
Location: Slightly outside of Madison

Re: The movement to destroy public schools

Postby Ned Flanders » Mon May 20, 2013 11:57 am

The left invited this backlash by using public schools for indoctrination and as fundraising vehicles for leftist causes and Democrat politicians.

Why are you surprised?
Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 13515
Joined: Wed Jun 13, 2001 2:48 pm

Next

Return to Local Politics & Government

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests

moviesmusiceats
Select a Movie
Select a Theater


commentsViewedForum
  ISTHMUS FLICKR
Created with flickr badge.

Promotions Contact us Privacy Policy Jobs Newsletters RSS
Collapse Photo Bar