MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Tuesday, October 21, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 43.0° F  Mostly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Payback on Disaster Relief?

Races for the Senate, U.S. House, etc. and other issues of national importance.

Payback on Disaster Relief?

Postby Donald » Mon May 20, 2013 8:46 pm

It might be sublime justice to say "No K" to quick federal disaster relief to Oklahoma as they recover from the tornado damage. But I'm not advocating that, even though Oklahoma's two Senators have proved to be stubborn, selfish and fiscally stupid as regards other parts of the country hit by weather disasters.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/05/2 ... 09234.html

When human suffering and devastating economic loss caused by weather or other natural disaster hits anyone in our country, I throw in some bucks to the Red Cross and support whatever action the federal government has to take to get these folks back on their feet. I'm sure, since it appears most of these folks are white, we won't have a lot of dithering about providing aid from the Republican idiots in Congress.
Donald
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Payback on Disaster Relief?

Postby Ned Flanders » Mon May 20, 2013 9:17 pm

Are you fucking kidding?
Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Donald » Mon May 20, 2013 9:24 pm

Ned Flanders wrote:Are you fucking kidding?

No. Endless Benghazi hearings? That's a joke. And the trumped up IRS scandal? Another one. And withholding necessary aid to others hit by natural disasters, that's serious, and it's something we see quite often from Republicans.

But we'll see if the Republicans can get off their senseless scandal-mongering "hearings" long enough to assure these people get some quick federal action.
Donald
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Mon May 20, 2013 9:28 pm

Ned Flanders wrote:Are you fucking kidding?

Oh look, Ned cares about people in need! Way to go, Ned!
pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Mad Howler » Mon May 20, 2013 10:23 pm

Donald wrote:But we'll see if the Republicans can get off their senseless scandal-mongering "hearings" long enough to assure these people get some quick federal action.

I wouldn't hold my breath on this one.
This is unfortunate,
As I spent my childhood next door to one of those Ripon republicans.
Guy was about 90 at the time,
Between us this experience, collectively, spanned a century.
I have been thinking about this experience lately,
My long deceased neighbor would not be impressed.
Nor am I.
MH
Mad Howler
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bludgeon » Mon May 20, 2013 10:30 pm

Mad Howler wrote:This is unfortunate,
Nor am I.

I don't know anything about Ripon so I don't understand this reference. If you would be interested in elaborating on what it is you are talking about above, I would not object.
Bludgeon
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Francis Di Domizio » Mon May 20, 2013 10:36 pm

Bludgeon wrote:
Mad Howler wrote:This is unfortunate,
Nor am I.

I don't know anything about Ripon so I don't understand this reference. If you would be interested in elaborating on what it is you are talking about above, I would not object.

Bludgeon, correct me if I am wrong, I was under the impression you were republican?

On topic, hopefully having to ask for aid, will be remembered when other states are again battered by nature.
Francis Di Domizio
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bludgeon » Mon May 20, 2013 10:52 pm

Francis Di Domizio wrote:Bludgeon, correct me if I am wrong, I was under the impression you were republican?

On topic, hopefully having to ask for aid, will be remembered when other states are again battered by nature.

Well, I want to hear the story. Was there a tornado in Ripon or something? I'm saying I don't get the reference; and I like stories.

Not having the context, I don't see how the question means anything partisan.

I'm not a Republican I'm an anti-progressive. Fair to say, probably most of the people on here aren't as much Democrats, as anti-capitalists/etc.
Bludgeon
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Detritus » Mon May 20, 2013 10:55 pm

Bludgeon wrote:Well, I want to hear the story. Was there a tornado in Ripon or something? I'm saying I don't get the reference; and I like stories.

Long story short: Birthplace of the Republican Party.
Detritus
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Mad Howler » Mon May 20, 2013 11:12 pm

Detritus - thank you for the attention to this.
I was too busy wiping tears, of something, from my eyes.
Does this need to be this hard?
I am very naive.
Sorry.
Mad Howler
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Uncle Fester » Tue May 21, 2013 12:30 am

Donald wrote:I'm sure, since it appears most of these folks are white, we won't have a lot of dithering about providing aid from the Republican idiots in Congress.

Thank God the world has white people who are as wonderful as you.
Uncle Fester
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stella_Guru » Tue May 21, 2013 7:38 am

Uncle Fester wrote:
Donald wrote:I'm sure, since it appears most of these folks are white, we won't have a lot of dithering about providing aid from the Republican idiots in Congress.

Thank God the world has white people who are as wonderful as you.

We really screw ourselves over by taking a Manichean, black and white approach to analysis, especially as we all are treading water through dystopia together. Time to toss out the old and bring in a new playbook.
Stella_Guru
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Tue May 21, 2013 8:31 am

Which is one more way to say we need a multi party system, or something more.

We could also use a problem/solution approach instead of endlessly taking sides first.

I am going to be very interested to see how these ultra conservative states handle the tornado relief issue. Watching Texas decide their industrial safety programs were just fine after the fertilizer plant blew up was pretty enlightening. Nobody down there seems to think there was any problem at all. I'd describe it as some kind of passivity or fatalism: "Shit happens and we clean up afterward but don't make any effort to head off the next predictable shitstorm."

It's hard for me to imagine how this country can possibly stay together in the long run when there are such different (and perfectly serious, bizarre as they seem) approaches to basic questions like "how safe is safe enough" and "how clean is clean enough" and "is there a future we should be planning for" and "do other people actually have lives and feelings or are they somehow not real."

We've got more than one basic view of the world in play, and in some cases the views are totally incompatible. On days like this it boggles the mind, but you've got to take seriously the idea the people really do believe such fatalism is appropriate so seeking solutions is off the table.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby HawkHead » Tue May 21, 2013 9:02 am

Bludgeon wrote:
I'm not a Republican I'm an anti-progressive. Fair to say, probably most of the people on here aren't as much Democrats, as anti-capitalists/etc.

What a crock of shit.

I am an owner in a CPA firm in Madison. I am a capitalist. I also realize that capitalism isn't the answer to every problem.

Giving everyone as equal of an opportunity as possible to be successful, I beleive, is in our best interests.

As to the original topic, let's give OK the money they need to rebuild as quickly as possible.
HawkHead
Forum God/Goddess

Postby barney » Tue May 21, 2013 9:16 am

snoqueen wrote:I am going to be very interested to see how these ultra conservative states handle the tornado relief issue.

And here we go.....
http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2013/05/21/oklahoma-sen-coburn-tornado-relief-funds-must-be-offset-with-spending-cuts/
barney
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to National Politics & Government