MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Friday, October 24, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 49.0° F  Fog/Mist
Collapse Photo Bar

Over/Under: Obama will appoint special prosecutor in 7 days.

Races for the Senate, U.S. House, etc. and other issues of national importance.

Over/Under: Obama will appoint special prosecutor in 7 days.

Postby Meade » Wed May 22, 2013 7:37 pm

I'll say under. That is, if he's innocent. If he's guilty, of course, he'll take his time.
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Over/Under: Obama will appoint special prosecutor in 7 d

Postby david cohen » Wed May 22, 2013 7:51 pm

When did Ann stop beating you?
david cohen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Wed May 22, 2013 7:55 pm

Meade wrote:Is Ken Starr still available?

Fix't
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Wed May 22, 2013 7:58 pm

Please stay on topic. If it's within your level of competence.
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Wed May 22, 2013 8:09 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:obviously lying...
Meade wrote:Is Ken Starr still available?

Fix't

Hen V is confusing the dormant Office of the Independent Counsel with the United Staes Department of Justice Office of the Special Counsel. So no, Kenneth Starr is not available and, yes, Patrick Fitzgerald could be.
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby david cohen » Wed May 22, 2013 8:20 pm

So she hasn't stopped...better call a special prosecutor. I hear Marcia Clark is available.
david cohen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Wed May 22, 2013 9:17 pm

And he would be appointing a special prosecutor because.......?

I'm going to assume Ann's beatings don't quite rise to the level of presidential attention.
gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby MPMay » Wed May 22, 2013 9:39 pm

Absent some indication of the charge to the SP, delineating what the SP is to investigate, the answer clearly is "over." You might as well ask, "What is the over/under whether President Obama makes the announcement in the next week?"

What is the SP to investigate?
MPMay
Forum Addict

Postby Meade » Wed May 22, 2013 9:42 pm

"What is the SP to investigate?"

The same thing the House Oversight and Government Reform Committee is investigating: whether or not laws were broken at the IRS.

As you know, the president has executive privileges that none of the rest of us have. So he should never need to invoke his 5th amendment rights. Impeachment would be the remedy for crimes committed while in the executive office. Nixon was named as an unindicted co-conspirator in indictments, from the special prosecutor's office, for conspiring to hinder the Watergate investigation. Clinton was impeached because he committed two crimes. Clinton knew he committed them and so, like Nixon, for the good of the country, he should have resigned. Being Clinton, he didn't. He knew that 2/3 of the senate is a high bar and he was right - he got lucky - he beat the rap 45-55 on obstruction of justice and 50-50 for perjury. Still, everyone knows he committed those crimes.

Obama knows whether or not he has committed a crime such as conspiring to obstruct justice in the IRS case. If he has not, he knows he should appoint a special counsel to investigate and give the people the full transparency he promised when he first campaigned for the job. Not appointing a special counsel to investigate will be a reliable sign that he is taking the stonewall approach because... well, because he knows he is guilty.
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Wed Jun 05, 2013 10:23 am

Looks like I lost my bet.
We have the Cincinnati office of the IRS singling out for close scrutiny applications from groups using the name "Tea Party"; those groups sought tax-exempt status under a law covering groups that benefit "social welfare." Civil servants trying to sift through a deluge of electronic applications seem to have been tone deaf to the abuse-of-power appearance of what they did. Nothing revealed so far resembles the White House Counsel giving the IRS a list of "enemies" and asking the agency to audit them.

But without a special prosecutor, we would have learned nothing more convincing about Watergate than we have learned about the reach of the current controversies.

I voted for Barack Obama in 2008 and 2012. I am a liberal Democrat partly because of Watergate. I don't think that Obama or his advisers are lying. But I want a special prosecutor here. I don't want to be fooled again.
http://www.cleveland.com/opinion/index. ... cart_river
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Wed Jun 05, 2013 10:47 am

Obama knows that he'll have as much cover as the LSM can possibly afford him without generating public outrage. Running out the clock was so successful with Benghazi, that he'll do the same thing with the IRS issue.

So: demonize the opposition, divert and obfuscate, run out the clock, rely on the government hand out-low info crowd to continue the sad, codependent love affair.
Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby wack wack » Wed Jun 05, 2013 10:53 am

It's disappointing that conservatives continue to downplay the significance of Watergate by comparing it to these non-scandals.
wack wack
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:25 am

wack wack wrote:It's disappointing that conservatives continue to downplay the significance of Watergate by comparing it to these non-scandals.

I'm not at all a conservative and largely agree with this. But I do think the IRS actions are very serious, and crimes may have been committed.
gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Galoot » Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:37 am

I don't think the IRS actions are anything more than some corner-cutting by mid-level managers in order to more easily weed out applicants that had no business getting tax exemptions.

It's another hyped-up non-event promoted by the right wingers, just like Climategate and the whole Acorn nonsense.
Galoot
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Wed Jun 05, 2013 12:33 pm

Stewart did a pretty good article on it with the Daily Show's "How about you show us YOUR receipts, motherfucker?" segment a couple days ago.

Tempest in a teapot, yes. But it looks like the result is going to be that the IRS won't be the untouchable entity it was in its heyday.

Whatever I have to say about whether they actually did do terrible things this time around, those guys used to think they were the power, nobody fucked with 'em, and they ruined lives for offenses that didn't merit it.

Not so much any more.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to National Politics & Government