MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Tuesday, October 21, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 50.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

WI Right To Life Proposed Abortion Restrictions

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.

WI Right To Life Proposed Abortion Restrictions

Postby skyguyWI » Mon Dec 03, 2012 1:29 am

The article in the 30 November issue of The Isthmus said Wisconsin Right to Life wants to "prohibit the performance of an abortion on an unborn child who will experience pain from the procedure." Pro-circumcision groups maintain that neonatal circumcision without anesthesia is a painless procedure, because newborns cannot feel pain. How is it that fetuses supposedly feel pain but newborn babies do not?
skyguyWI

Re: WI Right To Life Proposed Abortion Restrictions

Postby david cohen » Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:17 am

The local Mohel might not agree that it's painless!
david cohen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Thu May 23, 2013 9:51 am

Republicans in the Wisconsin Legislature are introducing bills to cover the entire Wisconsin Right to Life agenda.

Wisconsin Republicans ready slew of abortion bills

Everything from abortion restrictions to license plates. They even want to allow "faith based" organizations to ban contraceptives from their prescription plans for their employees. I thought the use of birth control decreases the number of abortions. But pushing the Catholic agenda seems more important to them than facts and logic.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Thu May 23, 2013 10:57 am

Henry Vilas wrote: I thought the use of birth control decreases the number of abortions. But pushing the Catholic agenda seems more important to them than facts and logic.

To a certain mindset, there is little difference between birth control and abortion, hence this type of legislation. Got to love that laser-like focus on jobs!
gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Thu May 23, 2013 11:02 am

And behind both those attitudes are more basic ones:

1) women are too stupid to make personal decisions for themselves; and

2) sex is bad except under very limited circumstances.

I think these are the real grounds upon which this dispute should center. The rest are distractions, bureaucratic garbage (who should pay for birth control pills? come on -- they cost pennies) and excuses to rant about one's personal issues or impose one's religion on other people.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby penquin » Thu May 23, 2013 3:00 pm

snoqueen wrote:women are too stupid to make personal decisions for themselves

That does seem to be the mindset behind these...and other...abortion laws.

I'm unaware of any laws/regulations that require men to view pictures/x-rays/diagrams/anything-at-all before going through a medical procedure. (This one makes the least sense...do they even give a reason why they wish to punish a woman who doesn't view an ultrasound prior to receiving an abortion?)

Also, are there any other medical procedures that the GOP wants to require the performing physician to have admitting privileges at a hospital within 30 miles of his/her clinic or is that just limited to this one procedure that is only performed on females?
penquin
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Mad Howler » Fri May 24, 2013 12:56 am

How ironic the notion of pain,
Whips the hive from our collective pain.

There is brilliance in this subterfuge.
Mad Howler
Forum God/Goddess

Postby penquin » Thu May 30, 2013 11:03 am

Mad Howler wrote:There is brilliance in this subterfuge.

'tis all part of the "divide and conquer" by the folks on the top.

The right keeps their crew all aghast over abortion while the left frightens the bejezzus out of their supporters via guns....then they sit back and count their money while we squabble among ourselves.
penquin
Forum God/Goddess

Postby david cohen » Mon Jun 10, 2013 1:20 pm

So the GOP will be having a hearing tomorrow about requiring a fetal ultrasound before having an abortion. Originally they wanted to require a trans-vaginal ultrasound because that's the only way to detect a fetal heartbeat (that the potential mother can see) in the first trimester. Once actual physicians explained this fact, the GOP legislators back-tracked to a position requiring a regular ultrasound where the potential mother wouldn't be forced to view the screen. I have to wonder why they are even having this hearing. We know what the outcome will be. I think they just want to allow Wisconsin Right To Life the opportunity to flaunt the GOP majority's power over abortion rights and the delicate relationship between doctors and patients. Obviously I cannot have an abortion; however, I have had several close friends who made the decision to abort pregnancies. Some were young and scared due to failed contraception. Others had severe abnormalities and chose this route. All of them felt extreme guilt and anguish. I think that's what the ultrasound is really meant to do: shame and guilt the females into choosing life. What's next?
david cohen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Detritus » Mon Jun 10, 2013 7:59 pm

david cohen wrote:I think that's what the ultrasound is really meant to do: shame and guilt the females into choosing birth. What's next?

Fixed that for you. WRL, like the rest of the anti-choice folks, doesn't give a damn about anyone once they're alive.
Detritus
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Mad Howler » Mon Jun 10, 2013 8:15 pm

Detritus wrote:WRL, like the rest of the anti-choice folks, doesn't give a damn about anyone once they're alive.

Detritus,
That statement is so true, I find it sad that I heard it so often and its vigor doesn't seem to penetrate the collective conscience.
MH

p.s.- as long as I am looking at phases that work or do not...
Remember this one: "government should be run like a business"?
Does anyone see the give and take actually required by those run a business employed by the politicos who have espoused this notion for political gain?
Mad Howler
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Detritus » Mon Jun 10, 2013 8:21 pm

Mad Howler wrote:p.s.- as long as I am looking at phases that work or do not...
Remember this one: "government should be run like a business"?
Does anyone see the give and take actually required by those run a business employed by the politicos who have espoused this notion for political gain?

"A business" is a meaningless phrase, given the huge range in size, scope, corporate culture, industry, etc. GM is a business, as I recall....
Detritus
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Mon Jun 10, 2013 8:30 pm

david cohen wrote:So the GOP will be having a hearing tomorrow about requiring a fetal ultrasound before having an assisted justifiable homicide of the fetus.

Detritus failed to fix that one for you. So I did.
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Mad Howler » Mon Jun 10, 2013 9:02 pm

Detritus wrote:"A business" is a meaningless phrase, given the huge range in size, scope, corporate culture, industry, etc. GM is a business, as I recall....

You are correct, I am painting to broadly.
I am speaking from a mini-mid to small business frame.
Does this make a difference in your mind?
Mad Howler
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Detritus » Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:04 pm

Mad Howler wrote:
Detritus wrote:"A business" is a meaningless phrase, given the huge range in size, scope, corporate culture, industry, etc. GM is a business, as I recall....

You are correct, I am painting to broadly.
I am speaking from a mini-mid to small business frame.
Does this make a difference in your mind?

I wasn't blaming you for the broad brushstrokes--that's how the phrase is used on the right. They want you to think of Mom & Pop's Grocery Store, but in fact government already works like a business: AT&T.
Detritus
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Local Politics & Government