MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Saturday, September 20, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 65.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Ray Manzarek joins Jim...

Music news, rumors, what you're listening to, how you're listening to it and whether it's all on the up-and-up.

Ray Manzarek joins Jim...

Postby jonnygothispen » Mon May 20, 2013 4:39 pm

Bummer...

... am I ever glad I went to see Ray and Roy Rogers play at Shank Hall (300 peeps max) in Milwaukee a couple years ago. They played a bunch of semi-original stuff from their new (at the time) CD: Chicago boogie woogie, and blues, along with 2 Doors songs: Riders of the Storm, and a super long Crystal Ship organ solo. It was awesome...

Ray did a Q & A and of course Q's about Jim came up. Someone asked him why he played. "Why do I play?" said Ray, totally astonished. He gave a stock answer: his love of music, and giving to others. A few songs later while thoroughly enjoying himself during the intro, he said, "Why do I play? What a dipshit!"

He was exactly as I pictured him in the Doors: A brilliant and erudite college kid still in touch with the people around him and still high on life. A lovely soul. God bless.. : )
jonnygothispen
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Ray Manzarek joins Jim...

Postby bdog » Tue May 21, 2013 5:52 am

jonnygothispen wrote:"Why do I play? What a dipshit!"

What an asshole.
bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jonnygothispen » Thu May 23, 2013 9:45 am

I think he thought he was asking an intriguing question that might lead to an interesting answer... It didn't work out, lol!

Another guy asked, "What was the weirdest time you had with Jim?" Ray responded, "OH! You BLEW it! If you would've asked 'What was the most philosophical time, or the funniest time, or the closest moment'..."

Another guy walked around repeating to anyone who would listen, "Ray Manzarek, fuckin' legend, at Shank Hall!" while shaking his head in respectful and amazed disbelief.

Ray chatted and signed autographs outside before walking in the front door, then right by me through the tiny venue. I can't really describe how surreal it was to see in an intimate setting. You could walk right up to the stage anytime.

It was incredible to me.
jonnygothispen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bdog » Thu May 23, 2013 6:33 pm

jonnygothispen wrote:It was incredible to me.

That's cool. It just sounded rude of him to treat a fan like that.
bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jonnygothispen » Sat May 25, 2013 10:05 am

It was kinda rude, but it was also like, "Why do I play? Are you shitting me? The Doors? All the fun I had? All the fun I'm having right now? Give me a break!"
jonnygothispen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jonnygothispen » Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:55 am

Superb article about Jim, especially considering the source...

http://www.theamericanconservative.com/ ... -morrison/
jonnygothispen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jonnygothispen » Sun Aug 24, 2014 12:53 am

Only 4 people saw Jim's body before he was buried. Pam, Marianne faithfull, her BF, and the coroner. Did anyone notice that Marianne Faithfull finally spoke out about it?

http://www.mojo4music.com/16036/mariann ... -morrison/

The story goes back to the summer of 1971, when she travelled to Paris with her then-boyfriend, heroin dealer to the stars Jean de Breiteuil. Upon their arrival Breiteuil told Faithfull that he had to pay a visit to The Doors’ singer’s apartment at 17 Rue Beautreillis.
Poor Jim...
jonnygothispen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby david cohen » Mon Aug 25, 2014 8:56 pm

Poor Jimi...fixed that for ya;)
david cohen
Forum God/Goddess

Return to General Music