MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Saturday, September 20, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 66.0° F  Fair
Collapse Photo Bar

What is the case for the 'genetic sexuality' argument?

Races for the Senate, U.S. House, etc. and other issues of national importance.

Re: What is the case for the 'genetic sexuality' argument?

Postby wack wack » Fri May 31, 2013 8:33 am

jman111 wrote:I'm no geneticist, but I suppose there would likely be a recessive aspect involved.

Just great, you HAD to bring up the recessive word, didn't you? Now the Republicans will be able to expose the real truth, that homosexuality is due to a recessive gene, and recessive is bad therefore homosexuals are provably lesser beings.
wack wack
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jman111 » Fri May 31, 2013 8:36 am

Yep, that's the problem with discussions of such issues. It's difficult to not suspect that the topic was started for "political" reasons.

But, it is interesting to me from a biological perspective.
jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Detritus » Fri May 31, 2013 8:38 am

jman111 wrote:An interesting conundrum, if sexuality is strictly genetic.
How does a trait such as homosexuality, which by its own nature appears to be evolutionarily self-restricting, survive in any species that exclusively reproduces sexually?

For one thing, gay and lesbian people can and do reproduce--sexual orientation, in that respect, is transparent to evolution. Second, if you follow the calculus-of-kinship theory about reproduction and survival of children, non-straight people caring for their sibling's children, and thereby enhancing their survival, is behavior sufficiently positive enough to ensure the continuation of the trait.
Detritus
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Fri May 31, 2013 8:48 am

jman111 wrote:How does a trait such as homosexuality, which by its own nature appears to be evolutionarily self-restricting, survive in any species that exclusively reproduces sexually?

What makes you think that individuals of any species with genetic determinants for homosexuality can't or wouldn't reproduce sexually? Were you born with that bias or was anti-homosexual bigotry a conditioned attitude you learned? Hopefully, you will learn to evolve the way President Obama did.
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jman111 » Fri May 31, 2013 8:57 am

Meade wrote:I am a complete ass clown, incapable of allowing the adults in the room to have a conversation without inserting my drivel.

Go away.
jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Postby wack wack » Fri May 31, 2013 8:58 am

Meade wrote:Hopefully, you will learn to evolve the way President Obama did.

Yes, as opposed to devolving like Meade and the rest of the knuckle-dragging mouth-breathers on the right.

Whether or not homosexuality is genetic, there is no doubt that Meade's anti-homosexual bigotry is a choice... a choice he embraces heartily.
wack wack
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Fri May 31, 2013 9:13 am

Gotta love the civility of jman and wacky wack.
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby wack wack » Fri May 31, 2013 9:19 am

Meade wrote:Gotta love the civility of jman and wacky wack.

I'll be civil when you're serious. Would you like to offer something serious and thoughtful? Gotta lose that cherry sometime.
wack wack
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Fri May 31, 2013 9:21 am

For fuckssake why do you people respond to Meade being a raging asshole? Please stop. At least stop quoting him. The ignore function works great but not when he gets his shit bombs quoted repeatedly.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Fri May 31, 2013 9:25 am

It's obvious the thread itself is nothing but trollbait. Why shouldn't it attract them?
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Fri May 31, 2013 9:42 am

Oh, he just wants attention. He's got no fixed beliefs at all and just posts shit at random. For a long time I thought it needed refutation just to keep some level of common sense in the dialogue, but I've come around to the view 90% of the readership recognizes that login by now and knows it's all unconnected garbage. All we need to do is ridicule it off and on to add some levity around here.

But let's not quote it, out of respect to the many who have it on Ignore.

I know I've been one of the guiltiest refuters, so maybe I'm talking to myself. And I probably won't totally stop. Hopefully there's some entertainment to be had.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby wack wack » Fri May 31, 2013 9:45 am

snoqueen wrote:But let's not quote it, out of respect to the many who have it on Ignore.

Fair enough.
wack wack
Forum God/Goddess

Postby penquin » Fri May 31, 2013 10:32 am

wack wack wrote:Whether or not homosexuality is genetic, there is no doubt that Meade's anti-homosexual bigotry is a choice... a choice he embraces heartily.

He is a stinky cunt, many-times-over, for sure. But homosexuals doesn't seem to be one of the things he is bigoted about. His blog pushes a pro-same-sex-marriage agenda and nothing in his other comments seems to counteract that.

That aside, I think the reason there is so much confusion over this issue is 'cause most folks are mostly right...sexuality is both genetic and a choice. Genetics is gonna make most people hetero, some homo, and others bi. Since the bi people can actually "choose" which gender to go-home-with-that-night/live-their-life-with, some folks get the impression that it is a choice for everyone else as well.
penquin
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Francis Di Domizio » Fri May 31, 2013 10:35 am

Bludge, sInce you seem to be ignoring my first question, let me ask a second one.

Why does it matter what drives a person's sexual attraction?

It could be that we are born the way we are due to hormonal effects. Maybe it's genetic. Maybe it's completely random. It could even be something enviornmental.

Ultimately, who anyone loves or fornicates with has no effect on you what so ever. Likewise the government treating a person who's sexual interests are divergent from your's the same as it treats you or I has no effect on you or I.

It' doesn't matter what drives sexuality because it's a stupid justification for limiting anyones constitutional rights.
Francis Di Domizio
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Fri May 31, 2013 10:36 am

Francis Di Domizio wrote:When did you decided you were straight, and how did you know?

Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to National Politics & Government