MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Monday, November 24, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 37.0° F  Light Rain Fog/Mist
Collapse Photo Bar

What is the case for the 'genetic sexuality' argument?

Races for the Senate, U.S. House, etc. and other issues of national importance.

Re: What is the case for the 'genetic sexuality' argument?

Postby fisticuffs » Fri May 31, 2013 10:40 am

Ned Flanders wrote:
Francis Di Domizio wrote:When did you decided you were straight, and how did you know?

fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Fri May 31, 2013 10:52 am

fisticuffs wrote:
Ned Flanders wrote:
Francis Di Domizio wrote:When did you decided you were straight, and how did you know?

Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bludgeon » Fri May 31, 2013 11:26 am

Francis Di Domizio wrote:Why does it matter what drives a person's sexual attraction?

It could be that we are born the way we are due to hormonal effects. Maybe it's genetic. Maybe it's completely random. It could even be something enviornmental.

Ultimately, who anyone loves or fornicates with has no effect on you what so ever. Likewise the government treating a person who's sexual interests are divergent from your's the same as it treats you or I has no effect on you or I.

It' doesn't matter what drives sexuality because it's a stupid justification for limiting anyones constitutional rights.

Like I've made clear in the OP, it's not an issue to me what consenting adults do, not only that, more power to them. More the merrier.

However, I find the idea of a genetic predisposition to sexuality to be a tenuous notion. Nature v. nurture, I say nurture.

Still, if it is a choice, there's nothing wrong with that choice between consenting adults: romantically - individually - personally - ethically - all good.

For the sake of argument, say it's nurture. What then matters, in my opinion, is the potential that a young child adopted is going to be placed in a situation where they're more conditioned to one predisposition than is such a child in another household.

There again - individual, consenting choice - not our concern. But in the case of a minor, what are the implications?

This is something new, in society, to standardize another form of nuclear family. If the end result is altogether positive? Fantastic. But surely there are ethical problems lurking ahead that we're not considering in the present.

Again, assuming it's nurture, then this is a choice people are conditioned to by their own experience, their culture, their community, and their families.

I have no horse in the race. Generically speaking, I hope it all turns out for the best. Nonetheless I'm doubtful that it will. And I do care about the argument itself, and that argument seems to be riddled with methodological errors that will become societal problems if we're not prepared to address them before we turn all this mess into policy.
Bludgeon
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Endo Rockstar » Fri May 31, 2013 11:44 am

What the Shit, Ned?

-Dan Motor
Endo Rockstar
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jman111 » Fri May 31, 2013 12:20 pm

Bludgeon wrote:What then matters, in my opinion, is the potential that a young child adopted is going to be placed in a situation where they're more conditioned to one predisposition than is such a child in another household.

Gee, never could have seen that coming.
jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bludgeon » Fri May 31, 2013 12:23 pm

jman111 wrote:
Bludgeon wrote:What then matters, in my opinion, is the potential that a young child adopted is going to be placed in a situation where they're more conditioned to one predisposition than is such a child in another household.

Gee, never could have seen that coming.

What's your issue with the question?
Bludgeon
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Fri May 31, 2013 12:52 pm

It appears Bludgie is never going to answer the questions: When did you decide you were straight? How did you know?
Which is cowardly, by the way.

After he answered those, I was going to ask what the other arguments were. I could only come up with two possible arguments: Genetics and choice.

Bludge has come up with a third: nurture. He believes it is possible that a household can create a gay or straight person through conditioning.

So we have three possibles: Genetic, choice, and conditioning.

Any others?

(You're still a coward for not answering the questions. They are valid to the discussion and not answering them proves you're a troll.)
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Francis Di Domizio » Fri May 31, 2013 1:00 pm

Bludgeon wrote:However, I find the idea of a genetic predisposition to sexuality to be a tenuous notion. Nature v. nurture, I say nurture.

Still, if it is a choice, there's nothing wrong with that choice between consenting adults: romantically - individually - personally - ethically - all good.

For the sake of argument, say it's nurture. What then matters, in my opinion, is the potential that a young child adopted is going to be placed in a situation where they're more conditioned to one predisposition than is such a child in another household.

For the sake of arguement then, answer my first question. When did you decided to be hetrosexual? And what in your upbringing caused that decision? Because if nurture causes homosexuality, it also must cause hetrosexuality.

Furthermore, for the sake of argument, what in the hell is going on in all those uptight christian conservative homes that causes their children to decide to be gay? It sure isn't the love and acceptance that gets heaped upon them when they come out. I know, maybe they are just being rebellous teens, like Ted Haggard, or Mark Foley.
Last edited by Francis Di Domizio on Fri May 31, 2013 1:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Francis Di Domizio
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Jattpw » Fri May 31, 2013 1:02 pm

I like to think it is God or perhaps some other wizard. That at some point when entering puberty each of us has our sexuality sit underneath God's sexual sorting hat and it picks in which "house" we shall reside after a complete analysis of our nature and how we have been nurtured. God ofcourse reserves the option to re-sort us if he is feeling bored with our current sexuality or just feels like there needs to be an increase in the number of capri pants sold to men.

I whole heartedly believe in this scenario even though I am an athiest.
Jattpw
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Michael Patrick » Fri May 31, 2013 1:14 pm

Bludgeon wrote: For the sake of argument, say it's nurture. What then matters, in my opinion, is the potential that a young child adopted is going to be placed in a situation where they're more conditioned to one predisposition than is such a child in another household.

I'm one of five siblings. All raised in the same house by the same parents. Four of us are straight, one is gay.

So much for your nurture argument.
Michael Patrick
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Fri May 31, 2013 1:25 pm

Maybe it IS nurture.

I remember waaaaay back there in the 70's, up there on a rest room wall, written in really beautiful old english script, the words "My mother made me a homosexual."

And underneath that, in pencil, in a scribbly scrawl, was "If I buy her the wool, will she make me one too?"

I am still surprised that I remember that, forty years later. I guess the classics just stay with ya.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Fri May 31, 2013 1:56 pm

Endo Rockstar wrote:What the Shit, Ned?

-Dan Motor

I found it to be udderly terrifying.
Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Fri May 31, 2013 5:44 pm

Bludgeon wrote: and that argument seems to be riddled with methodological errors that will become societal problems if we're not prepared to address them before we turn all this mess into policy.

And people have been debating the nature vs. nurture argument since the beginning of time. Why is this circumstance going to prove to be any worse if some individuals deny some people are born that way?

By the way, when did you choose to be *straight?

And for the record: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJtjqLUHYoY

Why don't you watch this. Maybe you've seen it.

Thought I'd pile on that one.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Fri May 31, 2013 5:49 pm

If the nurture thing works, how come the kids of lesbian families turn out to be straight so often? I know loads of lesbian families and can't think of ANY whose kids are also gay. It almost seems unfair.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby peripat » Fri May 31, 2013 7:01 pm

Not to mention, who really cares why anyway? Sexuality is such a continuum, but good little Manichees that we are, we act like we're picking sides.
peripat
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to National Politics & Government