MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Sunday, September 21, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 58.0° F  Fair
Collapse Photo Bar

What is the case for the 'genetic sexuality' argument?

Races for the Senate, U.S. House, etc. and other issues of national importance.

Re: What is the case for the 'genetic sexuality' argument?

Postby Igor » Fri May 31, 2013 7:36 pm

This is almost as much of a third rail as proposing refinements to Title IX, or discussing race and sports.

Given that virtually everything else about human sexuality seems to be complex, it seems unlikely that sexual orientation is a single-factor switch. I'm guessing that:

- Genetics
- Hormone levels or other issues in utero
- Interpersonal relationships as a child (nurture, if you must)
- Traumatic events as a child

can all impact sexual orienation. I know a very "out" person who has indicated that he feels he is gay because he was sexually abused by a male relative as a child.
Igor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby johnfajardohenry » Fri May 31, 2013 10:00 pm

Bludgeon wrote:Would anybody be so inclined as to explain, in a rhetoric-free way, what the case is for the argument that sexuality is a predetermined genetic trait?

Why do you even ask such a question, you right wing, homophobic, fascist, right-winger?

You know the answer already. If you didn't, here is the scientific explanation:

BECAUSE SHUT THE FUCK UP!!!!!

And if you don't believe me, just read the responses to your question.

Seriously, it would be nice to see some scientific data on this homosexuality as choice vs homosexuality as innate. I don't think we ever will, though. And if you want to know why, just read the responses to your question. Who would want to research this topic? There are so many less flammable areas of research.

John Henry
johnfajardohenry
Forum God/Goddess

Postby peripat » Fri May 31, 2013 10:03 pm

It would also be nice to know 1. what makes some people flaming a-holes and 2. why do fools fall in love, but I doubt we'll ever see that research- at least not in a format we both want to read and can understand.
peripat
Forum God/Goddess

Postby johnfajardohenry » Fri May 31, 2013 10:04 pm

Another problem is that if homosexuality is innate, someone will identify the so-called "gay gene" and devise a way to test for it.

That will lead to fetal testing which will lead to abortion of gay fetii.

If practiced on a wide enough scale, it would end the need to have this discussion.

I know from other threads here that most folks here believe that a woman has a right to an abortion for any reason whatsoever. Including the possibility of a gay baby.

Right?

John Henry
johnfajardohenry
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Fri May 31, 2013 10:08 pm

John Henry when did you know you were strait.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby johnfajardohenry » Fri May 31, 2013 10:09 pm

No doubt someone will want to ask me when I decided I was straight and how did I know. Seems to be the all purpose response in this thread.

I'll save you the trouble:

I am 65 and I have not yet decided and do not yet know.

I have lived my life straight but whether I am or am not actually straight, I have never known. Nor much cared. Bi-curious but not enough to act on it. NTTATWWT

John Henry
johnfajardohenry
Forum God/Goddess

Postby johnfajardohenry » Fri May 31, 2013 10:10 pm

Stebben84 wrote:John Henry when did you know you were strait.

Jeez, Stebben, that was quick.

You are nothing if not predictable.

I would also be curious how you know I actually am straight? I don't even know myself.

John Henry
johnfajardohenry
Forum God/Goddess

Postby johnfajardohenry » Fri May 31, 2013 10:17 pm

BTW, Bludgeon,

I think you asked an legitimate question and you seemed to me to be asking in good faith. The result was as certain as bricks.

I assume that you recognize that my characterization of you was written tongue in cheek.

Not so sure others here can recognize that kind of thing.

Seems to be a major deficit of something in Madison.

John Henry
johnfajardohenry
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Sat Jun 01, 2013 11:28 am

johnfajardohenry wrote:Seems to be a major deficit of something in Madison.

John Henry

I bet it's not cheese.
gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ArturoBandini » Sat Jun 01, 2013 3:52 pm

Michael Patrick wrote:I'm one of five siblings. All raised in the same house by the same parents. Four of us are straight, one is gay.

So much for your nurture argument.
Critical thinking fail.
ArturoBandini
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Steve Vokers » Sat Jun 01, 2013 4:21 pm

ArturoBandini wrote:
Michael Patrick wrote:I'm one of five siblings. All raised in the same house by the same parents. Four of us are straight, one is gay.

So much for your nurture argument.
Critical thinking fail.

Que?
Steve Vokers
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Sun Jun 02, 2013 3:31 pm

peripat wrote:Not to mention, who really cares why anyway? Sexuality is such a continuum, but good little Manichees that we are, we act like we're picking sides.

That thought occurred to me this weekend. We're arguing over whether a household can turn a kid gay, because obviously we don't want a little girl introduced into a household where she might grow up to kiss other girls. That would be bad.

That would be much worse than a childhood filled with foster homes and social workers.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby wack wack » Mon Jun 03, 2013 8:20 am

johnfajardohenry wrote:Another problem is that if homosexuality is innate, someone will identify the so-called "gay gene" and devise a way to test for it.

That will lead to fetal testing which will lead to abortion of gay fetii.

If practiced on a wide enough scale, it would end the need to have this discussion.

I know from other threads here that most folks here believe that a woman has a right to an abortion for any reason whatsoever. Including the possibility of a gay baby.

Right?

John Henry

Yep. But I bet you'd find the percentage of mothers choosing to abort their gay babies to be immeasurably small.The concern is that Republicans would use the information to try to exterminate homosexuality.
wack wack
Forum God/Goddess

Postby wack wack » Mon Jun 03, 2013 8:24 am

johnfajardohenry wrote:BTW, Bludgeon,

I think you asked an legitimate question and you seemed to me to be asking in good faith. The result was as certain as bricks.

John Henry

Bludgeon's question was not legitimate or asked in good faith; he has at least the same research tools we all have available to us, and he's made clear that he's much smarter than anyone else here. There was no need to ask the question here, he could find a real, quantified, qualified answer elsewhere, but chose instead to ask here.

Now THAT'S trolling.
wack wack
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Mon Jun 03, 2013 8:40 am

Okay, we have all these statements from Bludgie. I assume John Henry also agrees with them, but that might be pushing it.
Bludgeon wrote:I feel I always have to repeat here, I'm <--- not religious, no problems with homosexuality et al, not even remotely bothered by it

Bludgeon wrote:if it is a choice, there's nothing wrong with that choice between consenting adults: romantically - individually - personally - ethically - all good.

Bludgeon wrote:it's not an issue to me what consenting adults do, not only that, more power to them. More the merrier.

Bludgeon wrote:I have no horse in the race.

And after all that, we have this, about the concept that "nurture" makes people gay:
Bludgeon wrote:What then matters, in my opinion, is the potential that a young child adopted is going to be placed in a situation where they're more conditioned to one predisposition than is such a child in another household.

If all the previous statements are true, why does it matter that one household might be more predisposed to one sexual preference or the other?

If the previous statements are true, why aren't you worried that many households might force gay kids to be straight?
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to National Politics & Government