MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Tuesday, September 16, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 64.0° F  A Few Clouds
Collapse Photo Bar

How do you stay so fit?

Badgers, Packers, Mallards. Paddling, running, golfing. And bikes!

How do you stay so fit?

Postby jjoyce » Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:45 am

This was the first winter I didn't coach basketball in about 8 years and I'm definitely carrying 5-10 more lbs. than I normally do in June. I'm getting married in a couple months and should shed those in order to look a little more dapper. The question is, how? I mean, I know all the standard recommendations and common sense stuff and have a few ideas, but what are you specifically doing that's working for you?

I'm always interested in how people developed their own fitness practices, anyways, because they tend to be pretty creative and often fun.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Re: How do you stay so fit?

Postby Kenneth Burns » Tue Jun 04, 2013 11:20 am

I've run about three miles about every other day for about the last 15 years. I also avoid snacks. One of these days I'm going to start doing some strength training.

You're getting married??? Congrats!!!
Kenneth Burns
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Tue Jun 04, 2013 11:39 am

Yes, congrats on the upcoming nuptials! As for fitness, the short version is eat right (not necessarily less) and move around.

There are all sorts of ways to do that. Over the years I've gradually gotten to eating mostly fruits, vegeatables, fish and chicken. I rarely have pork and have vitually eliminated beef. I seldom have pasta, which I love, but when I do it's the whole wheat version.

I have a Princeton Club membership, so I hit the club 2-3 times per week, doing a mix of resistance training with some cardio....about 45 minutes of each. Otherwise for me it's mostly just walk a lot. I weigh 50 lbs less than I did when I started 9 years ago, so what I'm doing works for me and it's not that hard if you make the lifestyle a habit.

Not saying it doesn't take a little willpower to go to the gym on occasion, but I've lived the consequences of not going, which is very motivating.
gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Right Bower » Tue Jun 04, 2013 11:59 am

Many things, including, but not limited to:

Sometimes parking further away from the office for a walk.

Sometimes parking a couple miles from the office and biking in.

Mountain biking at least once per week.

Never sitting at my desk for longer than an hour. Taking a brisk walk after about an hour or so.

Walking the dog at a brisk pace a couple times a week.

Eating as close to vegetarian as possible for breakfast, lunch, snacks every day.

Running around in the yard with my kids.

Genetics.
Right Bower
Forum Addict

Postby Bwis53 » Tue Jun 04, 2013 12:10 pm

I had to consult a dietician because my weight and cholesterol was too high. I now speed walk 30 minutes, six days a week and have a low fat diet. The results have been very gratifying.
Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby christopher_robin » Tue Jun 04, 2013 12:14 pm

jjoyce, there is quite a good app for shedding a small number of pounds in a defined period of time called LoseIt!

http://www.loseit.com/

It's free and cross-platform. What you do is tell it how much weight you want to lose, then the app gives you some options on the timeline aspect (you'll lose 10 lbs in 4 weeks on plan x, or 6 weeks on plan y where x and y values = number of calories permitted per day).

Then you tell LoseIt! exactly what you are eating each day. Eat whatever you want, but stay under the limit. After day 3 or so you'll be really hungry and start doing exercise, which allows you to eat more -- it's hilarious, you'll be like WHERE are my FREE WEIGHTS I need a SANDWICH.

The two input variables, calories consumed and calories burned, are crude but effective -- right away you'll see how it's possible to eat until you are full and still stay under your limit if you consume big salads, for example, whereas pepperoni pizza obliterates all hope.

The rest is up to you, but I advise choosing some standard meals that you eat every day, which you can save as "My Foods" and then easily input (I always eat more or less the same thing for breakfast on weekdays, for example). Then input is a snap.

There's no magical solution here and a few weeks using this app makes it plain that only eating right and exercising regularly will help. But follow the rules and you'll drop off the pounds before you know it.

On that -- buy a digital scale. Tremendous for incentive. Even losing .4 pound fees like a big win.

Good luck, and congratulations!
christopher_robin
Forum God/Goddess

Postby green union terrace chair » Tue Jun 04, 2013 12:19 pm

There are two variables to the weight loss equation: calorie intake and calorie usage. if you've been maintaining the same weight (no matter if you think you are overweight, just right or underweight), then those two things are in equilibrium.

You can change just one of those variables and see a change. It's harder to change both variables, but you can do that, too.

Are you currently driving to work? Try biking. Phase it in ... start with taking your bike on the bus to work a couple days a week and then riding home. Progress to doing that every day.

If you feel comfortable with it you can add biking to work. (It's a pretty easy ride in down the SW commuter path.)

As an even more middling approach, if you can ferry your bike on your car, drive to some midway point every day (Hilldale?), park your car and bike the rest of the way in. Once you get acclimated to that, move the point further out, like Westgate.

On the calorie side, the simplest changes would be to not eat within a few hours of bedtime, eat a good breakfast and cut down on beer (maybe that's the hardest). Do something like no beer during the week, or ration it some other way.

Whatever you choose to do, PHASE IT IN. The quickest pathway to failure is to go full bore on any aspect of dieting or exercise. Don't quit any food completely, ration it by portion or frequency. Don't go from a sedentary lifestyle to six days a week at the gym. You'll only be able to do that for the first week.

Good luck!
green union terrace chair
Forum God/Goddess

Postby green union terrace chair » Tue Jun 04, 2013 12:27 pm

christopher_robin wrote:Then you tell LoseIt! exactly what you are eating each day. Eat whatever you want, but stay under the limit. After day 3 or so you'll be really hungry and start doing exercise, which allows you to eat more -- it's hilarious, you'll be like WHERE are my FREE WEIGHTS I need a SANDWICH.

The two input variables, calories consumed and calories burned, are crude but effective -- right away you'll see how it's possible to eat until you are full and still stay under your limit if you consume big salads, for example, whereas pepperoni pizza obliterates all hope.

You should be aware of what you're eating, but starting off your new regimen by counting calories will drive you insane. Don't do it.

And no, you can't eat "whatever you want" as long as you stay within your calorie limit. Do you think that 1,800 calories of steak, 1,800 calories of candy bars and 1,800 calories of pasta all have the same impact on the body?
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Tue Jun 04, 2013 12:31 pm

Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Tue Jun 04, 2013 12:33 pm

I bought a fitbit, used the food log on their website, and started walking every night. I bought a gym membership later, but mostly it was walking. I can't run with this #@$%%^& plantar fasciitis so I walk, and at the gym I set the elliptical to one-minute high/low intervals at level 10 which pretty much turns me into a dishrag when I'm done. And I gave up soda pop and chips.

Lost thirty pounds in about a year and people started to think I was on chemo so I gained back five and went into maintenance mode. No pop, five miles a day, and a morning stretch with pushups.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby christopher_robin » Tue Jun 04, 2013 12:53 pm

Green union:

Those examples are kind of silly. If you can eat only 1400 calories a day, you're going to go for eggs, black beans, and greens, with the occasional cookie splurge.

If you are eating 1400 calories a day of candy, just forget the whole thing. You aren't in the least bit serious.

Again, there's nothing magical about this. The app just helps you figure out where you are, but it's the digital scale that is your true master.

You can't eat like an imbecile and expect to lose weight just because you downloaded an app (or bought a diet book).
christopher_robin
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Tue Jun 04, 2013 1:03 pm

For me it's riding my bike as much as possible whenever I need to get somewhere. Work is obvious, but do it for small grocery shops, or a run to the liquor store or going to a friends house, etc...

Diet is great, but without a good amount of exercise, eating right isn't gonna do jack shit.

I agree with the scale to help incentifize(not really a word) losing weight, but I find apps and the like akin to making a New Year's resolution. Gimmicky.

If you really want to lose weight, exercise and eat right. You don't need an app to do that.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby green union terrace chair » Tue Jun 04, 2013 1:09 pm

christopher_robin wrote:Green union:

Those examples are kind of silly. If you can eat only 1400 calories a day, you're going to go for eggs, black beans, and greens, with the occasional cookie splurge.

If you are eating 1400 calories a day of candy, just forget the whole thing. You aren't in the least bit serious.

Again, there's nothing magical about this. The app just helps you figure out where you are, but it's the digital scale that is your true master.

You can't eat like an imbecile and expect to lose weight just because you downloaded an app (or bought a diet book).

Yes, and they were intentionally silly. But it does matter what you eat, doesn't it? You need the right balance of carbs/protein/fat plus vitamins. Not all calories are equal and your body stores / burns / ignores them differently based on the source.

A scale is only one indicator of success. If your primary activity is weight training and you start off only mildly overweight, you may actually see your weight start to go up when you're doing things right.

Measuring your waist will let you see "results" no matter if your goal is simply weight loss or muscle gain.

Other signs of success: clothes fitting better, more energy, better sleep, better mood.
Forum God/Goddess

Postby christopher_robin » Tue Jun 04, 2013 1:26 pm

I agree wholeheartedly that one should use whatever works, and also that there is no escaping the essential core of getting fit, which is "eat right and exercise."

For me, the app was useful in that I had very little idea how many calories there are in various foods. Tortillas, for example, and peanut butter.

Once I got the swing of it, I stopped using the app.

The scale, I'm afraid, will be a lifelong companion. But it's my truth-telling friend and not my enemy.
christopher_robin
Forum God/Goddess

Postby green union terrace chair » Tue Jun 04, 2013 1:55 pm

christopher_robin wrote:I agree wholeheartedly that one should use whatever works, and also that there is no escaping the essential core of getting fit, which is "eat right and exercise."

For me, the app was useful in that I had very little idea how many calories there are in various foods. Tortillas, for example, and peanut butter.

Once I got the swing of it, I stopped using the app.

The scale, I'm afraid, will be a lifelong companion. But it's my truth-telling friend and not my enemy.

All very true. I was just trying to give some baseline advice for someone starting out. If you're the kind of number-loving aspie (that's a compliment) who wants to count calories, then more power to you. But it can be VERY intimidating to a beginner, and especially discouraging if they miss a meal, forget what they ate or throw out packaging before they can record it.

But I think you achieved a major goal by getting educated from that (rather than just charting) and knowing calorie content of basic foods. There is such ignorance on that matter, despite everything being labeled. (Like the Great Lie of the Low-Fat Cookie.)

The scale is definitely a good tool as long as you use it and pay more attention to trends rather than one-day swings.

You obviously know what you're doing. But just as I wouldn't take a beginner to the gym and have them start pyramid sets on eight different exercises, I also wouldn't present master-level nutrition standards, supplements and spreadsheets, either.

Herculean tasks are fine for Hercules. But let's stretch first before some light weights and work on form.
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Sports, Recreation & Biking