MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Monday, December 29, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 17.0° F  Mostly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Legislatin' at night

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.

Legislatin' at night

Postby jjoyce » Wed Jun 05, 2013 2:43 pm

Who thinks the public was well served by the Joint Finance Committee passing its version of the budget, including the non-fiscal parts, at 5:55 this morning?

Who believes closed-door caucusing is how government ought to operate?

And who knows why the state continues to put up with this?

By the way, it's been done this way forever by both parties.

When I watched the 10 pm news last night, an earnest local reporter did what every other earnest local reporter has ever done and said that the JFC was still not in session because the Republicans were hammering out their plans in closed caucus. We just don't know when they'll be back in session, so we're probably in for a long night. Back to the anchor desk where that guy theatrically sympathizes with the reporter who presumably will sit there all night and wait.

I know there are legislative staff and possibly even legislators who read this forum. Maybe you'd care to explain to us how this caucusing business and midnight budgeting works and why the public puts up with it.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Legislatin' at night

Postby snoqueen » Wed Jun 05, 2013 2:53 pm

Good enough questions, but what's the public to do?
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby david cohen » Wed Jun 05, 2013 3:14 pm

I'd suggest revolution but Wisconsinites have been beaten down so badly, I don't think they have it in them. We are now just like every other state in the union. Like abused spouses and the children of alcoholics, we've lost the gumption to fight back:(
david cohen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Wed Jun 05, 2013 3:24 pm

One of the non-budget items included is a prohibition forbidding the Center for Investigative Journalism (totally funded by private donations) from using any UW facility. And no UW employee will be allowed to do any work for them.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Wed Jun 05, 2013 3:29 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:One of the non-budget items included is a prohibition forbidding the Center for Investigative Journalism (totally funded by private donations) from using any UW facility. And no UW employee will be allowed to do any work for them.

Maybe they should center in a private location. One WPR "news" is enough.
Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Francis Di Domizio » Wed Jun 05, 2013 3:36 pm

Jason, your questions seem to infer that the joint finance commitee would not have passed the same bill had they all gone to bed at 10:30 PM and finished up in a session that started at a reasonable time of the morning today.

The government doesn't operate via closed door caucusing, parties do (I'm aware I'm spliting hairs here but it's an important distinction). Outside of debate and voting on the floor of the senate or assmebly, or in committee meetings, I would assume that elected officials have the same right to privacy and to freely assemble that the rest of us do. It might be nice to know what they discuss off the record as it relates to legislation, but I think that might require an unreasonable invasion of privacy. Besides, while knowing what they are thinking might be nice, it's the actual final bills and votes on the bills that make anything decided in a caucus official.

As far as the late hour for votes, I'm with Sno, what can the public do about that? The party in power has the ability to control when and where sessions run, and both sides have used that power inappropriately at times. The question remains though, would a few hours and some sleep actually have changed anything? At most the vote today would have had a few more people in the gallery making jackasses of themsleves along side the Joint Finanave Committee.
Francis Di Domizio
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Wed Jun 05, 2013 3:43 pm

Ned Flanders wrote:
Henry Vilas wrote:One of the non-budget items included is a prohibition forbidding the Center for Investigative Journalism (totally funded by private donations) from using any UW facility. And no UW employee will be allowed to do any work for them.

Maybe they should center in a private location. One WPR "news" is enough.

Except there are many "private" organizations that do this. Why target this one? Oh, because they might be liberal, and I thought you were against this governmental cherry picking*

*see IRS
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Wed Jun 05, 2013 3:59 pm

Get it? It's bad when the IRS does it, just fine when the Wisconsin legislature does it.

Got it.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Wed Jun 05, 2013 4:44 pm

Francis Di Domizio wrote:The government doesn't operate via closed door caucusing, parties do (I'm aware I'm spliting hairs here but it's an important distinction).

When it's possible for government to be run by a single party, then your distinction is without a difference. Deals are made in private, without scrutiny or consequences.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby penquin » Wed Jun 05, 2013 4:51 pm

Francis Di Domizio wrote:Outside of debate and voting on the floor of the senate or assmebly, or in committee meetings, I would assume that elected officials have the same right to privacy and to freely assemble that the rest of us do.

Why do the taxpayers have to subsidize these political parties having their secret/private meetings? If they want to lock the public out of their discussions&debates, then let 'em rent their own damn office space instead of using our Capitol.
penquin
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Wed Jun 05, 2013 5:16 pm

Center for Investigative Journalism. Is that the Bill Leuders outfit that leaked, as a means of throwing the April 5 election, the fake story of Justice Prosser putting Justice Bradley in a "chokehold" ?
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Wed Jun 05, 2013 5:23 pm

Meade wrote:Or are you asking in bad faith?
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby david cohen » Wed Jun 05, 2013 5:30 pm

It's okay Henry, we all know Meade is into the ++++sex thing. All in good faith, of course, right Andy?
Last edited by david cohen on Wed Jun 05, 2013 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
david cohen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Wed Jun 05, 2013 5:40 pm

You're supposed to phrase it as a question: "Is it true Meade is into...?"

Then you can deny you said anything later on.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Wed Jun 05, 2013 6:12 pm

snoqueen wrote:Then you can deny you said anything later on.

If that's what you want to do. But another thing putting a question - about something or someone who you have no facts or knowlege - in the form of a question does is it prevents you from making a false defamatory statement about someone - a statement that could be judged to be libel or slander. Especially when you're talking about real people with real names, not just "foron" names like Henry Wack Wack Rabble Penguin, King of the Snow.
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Local Politics & Government