More blather from your federal government:
http://www.cdc.gov/vitalsigns/BingeDrinking/index.html

It's a "Wisconsin value":
http://www.jsonline.com/news/30565984.html
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Binge drinking mularkey

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Wed May 29, 2013 9:11 am

ouroborus4 wrote:Another way to look at it is, could you have enjoyed several bands over the course of the evening without having beers (let alone 6). The answer is probably 'yes', but if you are being honest, there is likely the caveat of, "but it wouldn't be as fun". That signifies dependence and is a binge.
Hey! I only had 5 beers! And it wasn't "in the course of an evening" -- 5:30pm til 2:00am is a little more than "an evening" in my mind.
And that end part is a goofy way to look at it too. If I said, "I could have watched the movie without eating popcorn, but it wouldn't be as fun", would you characterize me as having popcorn dependence? And what's my dependence if I noted that I could have eaten that popcorn without buttery-flavored food product topping, but it wouldn't have tasted as good?

ouroborus4 wrote:Cognitive dissonance, look it up.
But you're not judging, eh?

ouroborus4 wrote:The fact that you binge indicates that you do not have control over your drinking
See, this makes no sense if you suggest "binge" corresponds to the definition Jason scoffed at above. By that definition, I binged last Friday. But I clearly had control over my drinking. My drinking was both well-paced and done responsibly.

ouroborus4 wrote:someone who binges but doesn't otherwise have a problem would likely be classified as an irresponsible user
What in the world was irresponsible about my drinking last Friday? The way I set a reasonable limit and stuck to it? The way I never got drunk? The way I planned ahead and had a great time?
ouroborus4 wrote:I fully recognize that this reasoning is circular and don't necessarily agree with it...
Then why would you be arguing it here?
ouroborus4 wrote:...but that is how it is done medically.
Pretty much only in this country. Most of the rest of the world thinks the whole "alcoholism is a disease" thing is a crock and understands that there are plenty of paths to not abusing alcohol besides abstinence.

snoqueen wrote:...what Alcoholics Anonymous uses
There are few I have less interest in hearing opinions about drinking from then this group. I'm glad for those who find it helpful in overcoming their dependence, but personally find them to be pretty despicable, if for no other reason than I'm an atheist and they can pretend all they want, but they're essentially a religious cult.
Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Wed May 29, 2013 10:24 am

Seems like we're in danger of veering off course into ridiculous territory here.

Back on topic, there are problems with defining this particular issue in this particular way. We're often told that alcoholism isn't as big a problem in Europe due to different social attitudes toward drinking. There is no drinking age in many countries, so kids don't grow up viewing alcohol as a forbidden fruit. There are also no open container laws in many places, so it's not uncommon to see a guy sipping from a liter bottle of beer on Berlin's U-Bahn, for example. A German friend explained to me the idea of mixing weiss beer with Sprite for a refreshing drink "after tennis" or at lunch before returning to work.

I think Wisconsin's attitudes toward drinking beer are clearly different from other areas of the country and not always problematic. First of all, I don't think we need Alabama (of all places) lecturing Wisconsin on anything, period. Second, leaving aside any discussions about the propriety of ever getting drunk, it's entirely possible to consume more than the indicated number of alcoholic beverages in a day (let's avoid the "in one sitting" language) and never get drunk and be completely healthy.

I think that having discussions around so-called binge drinking when these definitions are used is a misplaced priority. Drunk driving is a big, expensive problem. Every day the state legislature is refusing to address that problem is another day it's not doing its job.

I enjoy beer, wine and cocktails, but rarely have more than two or three in a sitting, primarily because I don't particularly enjoy being drunk anymore. But I was recently out for the afternoon with friends and probably had 8 or 9 drinks between 11 am and 10 pm. I was never buzzed during that time and my only regret was how much money I dropped. My behavior wasn't a binge, it wasn't irresponsible and it wasn't anything that anyone could objectively call a problem. I think that happens a lot in the world and fretting about it means we're not fretting about the important stuff.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Wed May 29, 2013 11:47 am

Great post all around, jj.
jjoyce wrote:Drunk driving is a big, expensive problem. Every day the state legislature is refusing to address that problem is another day it's not doing its job.
Hear, hear!
Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby barney » Wed May 29, 2013 11:59 am

To me, the definition of alcoholism (other than those who have consumed so much for so long so regularly that they are actually physically addicted and suffer DTs and the like) is not so much the volume or what you do when you are drunk, but more *why* do you drink?

If you are drinking as a salve or to numb the pain of life or past parts of life (and I don't just mean because of a shitty day at work or because the Brewers make me want to drink heavily lately), that seems different than someone who drinks because they love the taste of beer. I drink regularly, not a lot each time but multiple days a week, because I really do love beer, red wine and good scotch. I'm not drinking to be drunk or even to get drunk. Nor has my consumption of alcohol interfered with my relationships. However, according to some charts, I have a problem. Or I'm European.

Chalk one up for the Puritans who are still shaping American societal prudishness, even after all these years.
barney
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rrnate » Wed May 29, 2013 3:11 pm

I'm drunk right now! (OK, not really.)
rrnate
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Wed May 29, 2013 3:28 pm

barney wrote:To me, the definition of alcoholism (other than those who have consumed so much for so long so regularly that they are actually physically addicted and suffer DTs and the like) is not so much the volume or what you do when you are drunk, but more *why* do you drink?

For me it's always been about the reaction when I'm away from my substance of choice. If all I can think about is when I'm going to get some more, I have a problem. That's happened with booze, cigarettes, pastry, and a couple other things I will not say.

Of all those things, the one that took the most effort, was the most troublesome, took the longest time till the craving was gone, and I know I can't ever touch the stuff again or I'll go right back to the way it was, was tobacco. The others I can take and don't mind when they're gone now.

Oh, and soda. But for some reason quitting that was easy and I don't gaze longingly at the Mountain Dew displays when I walk by.

Oh wait. We're talking about booze and mularkey, aren't we. Sorry.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ryanwiz » Wed May 29, 2013 3:32 pm

This thread is making me thirsty.
Ryanwiz

Postby Meade » Wed May 29, 2013 4:01 pm

jjoyce wrote:According to the National Institute of Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism, this is the definition of moderate drinking:

For men:
No more than 4 drinks on any single day AND no more than 14 drinks per week

For women:
No more than 3 drinks on any single day AND no more than 7 drinks per week

Anything beyond that and you're on a binge.

But, if you go to their website and read the whole thing, you'll find:
Binge drinking
Binge drinking means drinking so much within about 2 hours that blood alcohol concentration (BAC) levels reach 0.08g/dL. For women, this usually occurs after about 4 drinks, and for men, after about 5.
Drinking this way can pose health and safety risks, including car crashes and injuries. Over the long term, binge drinking can damage the liver and other organs.

So where is the "mularkey"? I think it's in your defensiveness -an attitude common to people with drinking problems.

On the day he died, was Paul Heenan "drinking to get drunk" --JJoyce's definition of "binge drinking"? I don't think he was. Like a lot of people with drinking problems, he probably functioned with a high - probably continual - level of alcohol in his system all the time while never "drinking to get drunk". That's where pickled "functional alcoholics" fool themselves - they're never "drunk".
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby massimo » Wed May 29, 2013 5:25 pm

I mentally binged on "air quotes" just now. Strange.
massimo
Forum God/Goddess

Postby grumpybear » Wed May 29, 2013 5:59 pm

Those air quotes are so confounding, I am forced to have a 3rd Manhatten (Brandy style, of course). Drat, you, Meade. You're turning me into a binge drinking Malarkeyite.
grumpybear

Postby Meade » Wed May 29, 2013 6:30 pm

Sounds like damaged organs. You should see a doctor.

But don't "fret" about it. Jason says "fretting" about problem drinking is "fretting" about the wrong stuff. "Fret" about Governor Walker giving a speech in Alabama with a banjo on his knee. Because Alabama is bad, Wisconsin is good, and your blood alcohol level is nobody's business but your own.
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Thu May 30, 2013 3:06 pm

Now the shrinks are saying that coffee binge drinking can lead to a mental disorder.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Thu Jun 06, 2013 1:00 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:Now the shrinks are saying that coffee binge drinking can lead to a mental disorder.

Well, that explains all the liberal loons in Seattle and Portland now, doesn't it?

Speaking of binge drinking, my brother attended one of Wisconsin's fine outlying state university campi. At a party, a girl got so drunk that she passed out and soiled herself. She was dubbed "the party pooper" and had to leave school shortly thereafter. I think she went to Iowa. No, this wasn't Tammy Baldwin.
Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Thu Jun 06, 2013 1:07 pm

Ned Flanders wrote:At a party, a girl got so drunk that she passed out and soiled herself. She was dubbed "the party pooper" and had to leave school shortly thereafter.

There was a kid in our homecoming group who got so drunk at our party that he crapped himself while sleeping. He somehow managed to even get it in his ear.

He was then dubbed pooppy J and never lived it down for the rest of high school.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to Beer, wine & cocktails