MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Wednesday, October 1, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 61.0° F  Partly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

Watchable Sitcoms

How can cultural elitists like ourselves put TV in the Culture category? Well, where the hell else is it going to fit?

Watchable Sitcoms

Postby Huckleby » Mon Jun 10, 2013 5:50 am

I hate all sitcoms until I don't. Which is to say I approach all of them with a hostile attitude, and only rarely will surrender.

I usually don't watch any TV show until it has been off the air for 5 years. I made an exception with "30 Rock" and am satisfied that it was the right thing to do.

I just watched the entire series of Ricky Gervais's "The Office" on netflix streaming. I've yet to see a show of the American version, but am certain that it sucks.

I worship at the feet of "Seinfeld." "Andy of Mayberry" is the shizzle.

My guilty pleasure is "Two and a half Men" (Charlie Sheen only)

Yourself?
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Watchable Sitcoms

Postby Kenneth Burns » Mon Jun 10, 2013 7:37 am

I enjoy "New Girl" about 80 percent of the time.
Kenneth Burns
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Mon Jun 10, 2013 7:51 am

The American Office is good in its own way. At least the first 4 or 5 seasons before Carrell left. Parks And Rec is pretty great. First season kind of slow but picks up really well after that.
It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia. Kind of a really dirty Seinfeld. No real plot from week to week just a small group of awful people being awful. Best when they interact with normal human beings.
Weeds is good for 4 seasons before it jumps the shark.
Arrested Development of course. I just finished the 15 new episodes and will watch them all a second time.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:57 am

Don't tell me Ashton Kutcher replaced Steve Carrell too. That rat bastard ain't funny.

I watched my first "Arrested Development" last week, I think it just fell under my 5-year rule. I find it pretty funny, but I think all that quick-cut editing is geared to the MTV generation (I suppose that phrase really dates me.) I watched the AD as boot camp for the new season on Netflix.

I forgot about Parks & Recreation, that's one that I will watch. Some excellent characters there, especially that guy and that girl.
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Mon Jun 10, 2013 11:06 am

Don't tell me Ashton Kutcher replaced Steve Carrell too.

Actually there were a series of replacements before they landed on Ed Helms. James Spader for a season. Will Farrell for a few episodes.... It really was the worst immediately following Steve's exit. The most recent (and final) season was actually pretty great though.

Check out Eastbound and Down, The League, Workaholics as well. All pretty dirty but Kenny Fucking Powers on Eastbound is a character for the ages.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Sandi » Mon Jun 10, 2013 11:19 am

I am not at all fond of sitcoms either. Off hand the only one I cared to watch was Cheers.
Sandi
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Mon Jun 10, 2013 11:24 am

Sandi wrote:I am not at all fond of sitcoms either. Off hand the only one I cared to watch was Cheers.

Thanks for sharing.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Mon Jun 10, 2013 11:44 am

I will second Always Sunny. You need to get through a season to really get the character development, but once you do is is totally worth it. I would also suggest Trailer Park Boys. Not on anymore, but worth the Netflix.

I watch some network sitcoms, but nothing regularly. I think Parks and Rec is the best one on now that The Office and 30 Rock are done. Does Fox Sunday cartoons count. I do still like Family Guy, Bob's Burgers and American Dad. South Park is still pretty damn funny too.

fisticuffs wrote:Check out Eastbound and Down

I haven't heard of this. I'll have to check it out. Any comparison to other shows? The description was rather vague on the website.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Mon Jun 10, 2013 12:08 pm

Any comparison to other shows? The description was rather vague on the website.

Not really. It's about a washed up baseball player trying to make his big comeback. But he could be the most self-centered man on the planet. They were originally only doing 3 seasons of various length. more the British style season where they tell the story they want to regardless of episode count. Danny McBride's best work by far and some good cameo's.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Mon Jun 10, 2013 12:16 pm

Seinfeld is back on at 10:30 (Fox 47). I've seen every episode many, many times, but I still watch. And laugh out loud.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Mon Jun 10, 2013 12:19 pm

It's a bleak landscape. Besides MSNBC, there's not much comedy to be found on TV anymore.
Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Dairylander » Mon Jun 10, 2013 5:40 pm

Ned Flanders wrote:It's a bleak landscape. Besides MSNBC, there's not much comedy to be found on TV anymore.

Meade, take note!
Ned toes the party line and bashes the left wing agenda, but with light-hearted wit instead of vitriol.
Bravo, Ned.
Dairylander
Forum Addict

Postby Meade » Mon Jun 10, 2013 5:44 pm

Dairylander, show me an example of what you call my "vitriol". I don't think you can because it isn't there. I love everyone.
Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rrnate » Mon Jun 10, 2013 7:10 pm

A couple other chime-ins:

* Party Down - not on anymore, but ran for 2 seasons on Starz. Pretty worthwhile, a lot of "The State" folks.

* Veep - Julie Louis Dreyfus as the VP, by the Brit dude who did "In The Loop".

* Curb Your Enthusiasm - have you watched this? It's the natural next comedy step for a Seinfeld fan who's picky about sitcoms (though, you're not REALLY picky if you're happy to watch 2.5 Men).
rrnate
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rrnate » Mon Jun 10, 2013 7:10 pm

Ned Flanders wrote:It's a bleak landscape. Besides MSNBC, there's not much comedy to be found on TV anymore.

OLD.
rrnate
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to TV