MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Thursday, December 25, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 39.0° F  Mostly Cloudy
Collapse Photo Bar

The Giant Wagstaff CD Listening Project Thread

Music news, rumors, what you're listening to, how you're listening to it and whether it's all on the up-and-up.

Re: The Giant Wagstaff CD Listening Project Thread

Postby Kyle Motor » Fri May 31, 2013 9:02 am

scratch wrote:So no Dino Desi & Billy in the archive?

If you'd really like a retrospective, I've got that covered.
Kyle Motor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby scratch » Fri May 31, 2013 9:48 am

Kyle Motor wrote:

If you'd really like a retrospective, I've got that covered.

I have a CD with their albums "I'm a Fool" and "Our Time's Coming" on it. Those are their only recordings I remember from back then, but apparently they did a few more, too. They sound a lot like the Gentrys to me, possibly because they occasionally used the gimmick of coming to a complete stop in the middle of a song before resuming. Other than the kitsch value of their being movie star offspring, is there anything interesting about their later work? I don't remember seeing their "Memories are Made of This" or "Souvenir" releases when they came out (1966 according to Wikipedia). Their versions of "Satisfaction," "Mr. Tambourine Man" (and several other Dylan covers) are quite the pieces of mid-sixties pop. Lee Greenwood's answer to the Monkees?
scratch
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Kyle Motor » Fri May 31, 2013 9:59 am

scratch wrote:Lee Greenwood's answer to the Monkees?

WOAH there. Lee Hazlewood.

I do need to revisit their stuff. I'm missing maybe one LP, and I've got a handful of the singles. It's fun to listen to for 3 kids singing in unison, backed by pro session players trying to sound like a hip garage band. The songs written specifically for them are pretty good. The covers are mostly unnecessary, but not bad. All the Dylan covers seem to be directly lifted from The Byrds' versions.

Dylan was a teenybopper trend 50 years ago. That's why Stu loves him so much.
Kyle Motor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Fri May 31, 2013 10:06 am

Everything I know about them I learned from this thread.

Igor wrote:I hope it is good ELO (On the Third Day thru Out of the Blue, inclusive) Well, I guess Time is okay too.
Everyone is so impatient...
This morning, I am listening to The Earls.
I do not recommend anyone do likewise, although I've had much worse mornings, to be sure.
Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby scratch » Fri May 31, 2013 10:12 am

Kyle Motor wrote:
scratch wrote:Lee Greenwood's answer to the Monkees?

WOAH there. Lee Hazlewood.

Oops! My apologies to Mr. Hazlewood. Loved his "Some Velvet Morning."
scratch
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:48 pm

Earth, Wind & Fire -- I'm definiely a fan, but they'll always be a decidedly second-tier funk outfit in my book. Admittedly, I don't have a whole lot of their catalog, but I have enough to know I don't really need much more. On CD I have Earth, Wind & Fire (1971), Head To The Sky (1973), Open Our Eyes (1974), That's The Way Of The World (1975), All 'N' All (1977), and a CD with the leftover tracks from their two Best-Ofs. I'd peg Open Our Eyes as my fave, but they're all surprisingly consisent. Unfortunately, "consistent" for EW&F means some good jazzy-funky stuff mixed with weepy love ballads, a style I don't particularly care for by any band (although they're preferable to The Commodores in this -- and every other -- regard.) They become more and more irritating as the disco era progressed, so much of the later stuff from the best-ofs is pretty awful, and that includes their imbecilic cover of "Got To Get You Into My Life". Ick.

The Easybeats -- Hell yeah!
Why these fellas aren't better known is a real mystery -- they are top-notch mid-to-late '60s rock/pop/r&b who deserve to be remembered for far more than just the inarguably great "Friday On My Mind". Repertoire has reissued all their albums with bonus tracks and have generally done a fine job. Every one of their albums is filled with delights and well worth seeking out. The first two -- Easy and It's 2 Easy -- are very much in The Beatles vein but sound less derivative than many of their contemporaries and there's a lot less obvious filler than most records from that era (although "Hound Dog"? Really?) Their third LP (Vol. 3) is a slight step down in my estimation, but still pretty great (although it also has the worst bonus tracks. Besides "Hound Dog", you also get the worthless "The Easybeats-Medley".)
If you pick up all the Repertoire reissues, you'll end up with a lot of duplication -- like most bands, their records were picked apart by foreign record companies and reconfigured in seemingly endless permutations -- so the album Friday On My Mind contains many of the same singles appended as bonus tracks elsewhere, and Falling Off The Edge Of The World is a bastardization of the (much better sounding) Vigil. I was amazed when I checked out their bio on allmusic.com and noticed that while their earlier records all got high marks, Vigil got only 2 stars. Baffling, as it may be my fave -- while they were clearly struggling to find an identity after the breakthrough of "Friday On My Mind", they're really stretching out and heading into some almost Kinksy territory. The worst of the lot is Friends, which isn't a proper Easybeats album anyway -- it came out after they'd officially disbanded and would appear to be leftovers and (not too successful) experiments. Not bad at all, it just pales compared to what preceded it.
"Bring A Little Lovin'" -- probably my favorite song of theirs, which is odd as it's a demo and no other version was ever released by them (it did come out as a Los Bravos single, but I've never heard their version.)
"Heaven And Hell" -- single from '67 or '68 (bonus cut on Friday On My Mind)
"Good Times" single, appears on Vigil
"Sorry" -- 1966 single (Vol. 3)
"Wedding Ring" -- 1966 single (It's 2 Easy)
"Can't Find Love" -- from Friends
"Lay Me Down And Die" from Vigil
"Fancy Seeing You Here" from Vigil
"Happy Is The Man" single on Friday On My Mind

I could keep this up all afternoon, but that seems like enough...

Next up... Echobelly!
Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rrnate » Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:21 pm

Prof. Wagstaff wrote:.
Next up... Echobelly!

*SPIT TAKE!*
rrnate
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Marvell » Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:31 pm

"Sweet Love" by The Commodores is frickin' awesome.

Just thought I'd point that out.
Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Tue Jun 11, 2013 2:11 pm

Marvell wrote:"Sweet Love" by The Commodores is frickin' awesome.

Just thought I'd point that out.

That's what this thread is for.
I love people pointing stuff out for me.

And I'm not a Commodores hater or anything (they were briefly reviewed -- or dismissed, depending on your view -- way back on the first page of this thread) but their kind of smooth '70s soul balladry just ain't my bag. But if I was gonna listen to such, I'd reach for The O'Jays.

rrnate wrote:
Prof. Wagstaff wrote:Next up... Echobelly!

*SPIT TAKE!*
I have no idea what to make of this.
Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Tue Jun 11, 2013 2:17 pm

Oh yeah, and I totally forgot to mention above that The Easybeats have some the strangest -- and greatest -- backup vocals ever recorded.
Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby scratch » Tue Jun 11, 2013 5:04 pm

Professor-- glad you're still here.
I noticed that the Eagles didn't come up in your listing: my compliments on your discretion.
As to EWF, when I first heard them they seemed like a little bit more mainstream-friendly version of Parliament, but in retrospect I think that was mostly due to similarly bombastic stage presentations rather than anything inherent in the music. Around the same time some friends were into the Brothers Johnson, who were also being billed as a funk act. As time went on and disco conquered the world it seemed like EWF and the Brothers got way more disco-y and way less funky, and sold a lot more records.
By and large I prefer Funkadelic and even the Ohio Players, but after reading your latest I'm going to see if I can locate any EWF around here. I'm pretty sure the kids wouldn't have borrowed it.
scratch
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Tue Jun 11, 2013 5:17 pm

scratch wrote:I noticed that the Eagles didn't come up in your listing: my compliments on your discretion.
Heh. Yeah, I don't own any Eagles albums any more (I did when I was a kid.) I have about 30+ CDs of randomly burned songs -- mostly leftover tracks from other CDs which I no longer needed either because of duplication or I knew I'd never listen to them again -- and there are a handful of Eagles songs on those. I've found from discussing this with lots of folks over the years that most everyone (with any taste) seems to hate the Eagles, but nearly everyone likes a couple or three songs (and which songs those are is always interesting.) In my case, I admit to liking "Hotel California" (especially the guitar duel), there will always be a soft spot in my heart for "Journey Of The Sorcerer" (it's pretty terrible, but it was the theme to The Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy radio show), I think "Take It To The Limit" is a good bit of slow-dancey fluff, and "Take It Easy" is my favorite (which is particularly strange, as it was co-written by Jackson Browne, who I dislike much more than I dislike Eagles... it's just so hard not to like that song.)

scratch wrote:As to EWF, when I first heard them they seemed like a little bit more mainstream-friendly version of Parliament
There's some of that, but I'd argue the distinction, at least in the early years, was that EWF has a much more pronounced jazz influence, which I welcome. I definitely prefer the harder funk of P. Funk and (early) Ohio Players (they got pretty disco too, but then, so did Parliament by the end), but there's still some room in my funk lexicon for something more lightweight in the EWF mold.

scratch wrote:the Brothers Johnson

Y'know, this is an act I know absolutely nothing about. I've often wondered if I'm missing something, but I've never had any follow through...

Lemme know what you think if you dig up your EWF records.
Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Igor » Wed Jun 12, 2013 12:40 am

Prof. Wagstaff wrote:
scratch wrote:I've found from discussing this with lots of folks over the years that most everyone (with any taste) seems to hate the Eagles, but nearly everyone likes a couple or three songs (and which songs those are is always interesting.)

2 1/2 for me. Take it easy, Already Gone, Boys of Summer. HATE Hotel California - man, that got overplayed.

I'm assuming you don't count "Don Henley Must Die" as an Eagles song.
Igor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Wed Jun 12, 2013 5:22 am

Igor wrote:Boys of Summer
I always use this song to describe what I call "car songs" -- a song which I would never listen to at home but won't change the station when it comes on the radio while I'm driving.
Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Kenneth Burns » Wed Jun 12, 2013 7:58 am

Someone remind me what's wrong with not hating the Eagles.
Kenneth Burns
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to General Music