MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Friday, December 19, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 26.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Hammer Down on Possession

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.

Hammer Down on Possession

Postby wack wack » Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:19 am

Wisconsin lawmakers consider bill to boost local prosecution of marijuana possession cases

Once again, Wisconsin government moves in the opposite direction from the rest of the nation.
wack wack
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Hammer Down on Possession

Postby Francis Di Domizio » Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:58 am

Well if we arrest more people, and send them to jail, we'll need more guards.

So really, you can't complain, they are finally focusing on jobs.
Francis Di Domizio
Forum God/Goddess

Postby eriedasch » Thu Jun 13, 2013 1:19 pm

Francis, I suspect you are being facetious, but due to all the extra guards, prisons, prisoners, etc. WI spends twice as much as neighboring states locking up non-violent law breakers - the majority of them people possessing small amounts of pot.

Meanwhile Louisianna is very close to REDUCING their mandatory penalities for pot possession:
http://www.nola.com/politics/index.ssf/ ... la_bi.html

IL is on their way to becoming the next medical marijuana state:
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013/05 ... marijuana/

And VT recently decriminalized pot in their state:
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nationa ... -1.1365354

Based on the above and countless other pro-pot success stories accross the nation, WI is moving in the wrong direction under Walker and Republican leadership.

However, what frustrates me the most is why the WI State Democratic Party, not just a few progressive Dems from Madison and Milwaukee, cannot come to some realization that this is a HUGELY popular, mainstream, job creating, tax revenue generating issue, that when put to voters generally passes by pretty big margins. It is sad a majority of Democrats in the state cannot take advantage of this opportunity and show a willingness to embrace REAL job creation (proven in other states) and a very much needed plan to REDUCE the currently bloated incarceration and criminal justice costs we are currently stuck with in WI.
eriedasch
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Francis Di Domizio » Thu Jun 13, 2013 1:48 pm

I would have said sarcastic, but sure, I was being facetious.

eriedasch wrote:However, what frustrates me the most is why the WI State Democratic Party, not just a few progressive Dems from Madison and Milwaukee, cannot come to some realization that this is a HUGELY popular, mainstream, job creating, tax revenue generating issue, that when put to voters generally passes by pretty big margins. It is sad a majority of Democrats in the state cannot take advantage of this opportunity and show a willingness to embrace REAL job creation (proven in other states) and a very much needed plan to REDUCE the currently bloated incarceration and criminal justice costs we are currently stuck with in WI.

Opportunity to do what? Get any bill they suggest shot down by the Republican majority in both state houses? Perhaps they can organize a march on the Capital, cause that's proven very effective at changing the GOP's course of action in WI.

Not disagreeing with you that this type of legislation is completely the wrong direction to go on multiple fronts, just not sure why you are frustrated with the Democratic party on this one.
Francis Di Domizio
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Thu Jun 13, 2013 2:17 pm

eriedasch wrote:Based on the above and countless other pro-pot success stories accross the nation, WI is moving in the wrong direction under Walker and Republican leadership.

Indeed

Nevada Medical Marijuana Dispensary Law Signed By Brian Sandoval

Nevada is the 14th state to legalize medical marijuana dispensaries, and one of 19 states to allow medicinal pot, along with the District of Columbia.

For fuck sake, what is wrong with this state. EVERYTHING we do is going backwards.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby eriedasch » Thu Jun 13, 2013 4:30 pm

Francis Di Domizio wrote:Not disagreeing with you that this type of legislation is completely the wrong direction to go on multiple fronts, just not sure why you are frustrated with the Democratic party on this one.

Maybe I just cannot let go of the past, but when the DEMS last controlled both houses of WI they could have passed a medical bill, but Julie Lassa (D-Steven Point) sided with Republicans and the bill never passed necessary committees. Despite the fact former Gov. Doyle was on record that he would sign and it appeared the votes were there to pass in both houses, if it ever came to a floor vote.

I agree it is pointless to think you are going to pass anything like this under the current leadership and Republican majority, BUT the Democrats NEED a new strategy. Take it to the public. Start educating voters you have a better plan than the Republicans. NO rational person can agree that it makes sense to spend millions locking up pot smokers and stifling a new economy that is creating jobs and revenue in many other states. It is up to the Democrats (if they want to win) to make this an issue. Seriously, what else do they have? Unions? The environment? Schools?

I am frustrated with the Democratic Party in WI for failing to realize this is an opportunity to support a POPULAR cause and gain support with new potential voters or maybe bring back former supporters who are fed up with both parties and need an issue like this to show them a difference still exists. Dems and even (gasp) Republicans in other states across the nation have supported various marijuana initiatives. Why do you think most Dems are so afraid of an issue that has an 80% approval rating statewide?

Interpret this however you want, but Tammy Baldwin won a WI Senate race against a popular Republican and has for her entire career supported marijuana causes and NOT afraid to take a stand on the issue. I certainly do not see how it would hurt anyone's popularity, much less be a net loss in votes for a Democrat to support medical pot or hemp.

As the marijuana movement grows, new activists are popping up all over the state, getting organized, getting the word out, and changing people minds on the issue. They need candidates to support. Ignore it all you want but marijuana has become a BIG issue in states like CO, CA, WA, and most of the east coast. I see no reason why it could not be an equally important factor here in WI, perhaps even deciding an election or two in the future. I see nothing wrong with being optimistic even if it seems a lost cause right now. Because NOW is the time to gear up for the next election, provided they do want to win.
eriedasch
Forum God/Goddess

Postby david cohen » Thu Jun 13, 2013 7:21 pm

Just remember that there are some pretty conservative Dems out there.
david cohen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Thu Jun 13, 2013 7:34 pm

Counter that with the libertarians out there (otherwise known as Republicans who smoke pot).
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Francis Di Domizio » Thu Jun 13, 2013 7:54 pm

eriedasch wrote: NO rational person can agree that it makes sense to spend millions locking up pot smokers and stifling a new economy that is creating jobs and revenue in many other states.

I think you might be overestimating the number of rational people who vote, but that might be the cynic in me talking.

eriedasch wrote:DEMS last controlled both houses of WI they could have passed a medical bill

The sheer number of issues the Dems could have and should have addressed between 2009 and 2011 is staggering.
Francis Di Domizio
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Thu Jun 13, 2013 9:12 pm

Just when I think Wisconsin's GOP can't possibly do anything as stupid and regressive as the last thing they did, they turn around and pull this? There has to be some sort of limit to how stupid you can be, isn't there?

Next: Outlawing the receipt of social security checks by any WI citizen, because they come from the federal government and we're not sure they'll keep sending them in the future.
gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bludgeon » Thu Jun 13, 2013 11:19 pm

wack wack wrote:Wisconsin lawmakers consider bill to boost local prosecution of marijuana possession cases

Once again, Wisconsin government moves in the opposite direction from the rest of the nation.

What seriously kills me is these stories I hear more and more about people getting pulled over and getting a DUI for smoking pot. ??? DUI ??? Seriously??????????
Bludgeon
Forum God/Goddess

Return to Local Politics & Government