MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Thursday, August 28, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 60.0° F  Fair
Collapse Photo Bar

Erpenbach: not helping

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.

Erpenbach: not helping

Postby bdog » Fri Jun 14, 2013 6:11 am

Way to make Joshua Inglett look like a weak little kid:

"We have a governor, a sitting governor, someone who want's to be president picking on a college kid," said Sen. Jon Erpenbach at an afternoon press conference.

Perhaps Walker withdrew the nomination because he was worried the other regents might "pick on" the little boy.

Thank God we have Erpenbach to protect these little kids!
bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Erpenbach: not helping

Postby Henry Vilas » Fri Jun 14, 2013 7:51 am

Way to ignore the childlike, vindictive behavior of Scott Walker. Would he have done the same thing if the college kid had signed nomination papers for Barrett?
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Fri Jun 14, 2013 8:29 am

Erpenbach speaks up about shameless and childish vindictive behavior from a US Governor, and he's the bad guy because it's possible to construe parts of his speech as condescending?

Wow.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby green union terrace chair » Fri Jun 14, 2013 8:34 am

I think the greater crime is that apostrophe in "want's."
green union terrace chair
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Fri Jun 14, 2013 9:18 am

As someone who aspires to the highest office in the land, Walker managed to make himself look small and petty.

Erpenbach's statement was spot-on.
gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby DCB » Fri Jun 14, 2013 10:05 am

Robin "politics ahead of policy" Vos tells it like it is:

He said the governor has to have confidence in all his appointees.
"He should have been honest and said, 'I signed the recall petition and I'm proud of it' or 'I signed it and I made a mistake,'" Vos said of Inglett. "This is not like you're serving on some minor board."

In other words, you're either with us or you're against us.

"It makes it sound like the governor is keeping a blacklist in his office," Erpenbach said at a news conference. "It's McCarthyism."

"No governor should have the litmus test (of) 'did you sign or didn't you sign?'" he said.

http://www.jsonline.com/news/statepolit ... 95241.html
DCB
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Fri Jun 14, 2013 10:12 am

I think the young man has had his political preferences pretty much confirmed by Walker's actions. Do you think he'll ever, ever vote Republican? How about his friends? How about other students who follow the story?

Way to rake in the votes, Scott. And political payback against a college student makes you look so, well, presidential.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby DCB » Fri Jun 14, 2013 10:23 am

Dear young people,
Think carefully before opening your mouth. We have a very long memory and we hold grudges. Remember, you might need a job some day.
love and kisses,
the GOP.

p.s. we're totally awesome, please vote for us!
DCB
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Fri Jun 14, 2013 1:15 pm

If the governor is making the appointment, then it's a political appointment. Signing a recall petition is a political act. A kid who wants to be the student regent is what we referred to in college as a "gunner." All gunners ought to be aware of the consequences of their actions. I remember hearing a gunner I worked with at the Capitol saying she'd never sign any kind of petition because she wanted to be a judge someday. She was 19 at the time.

In keeping with the theme of politics as part of this process, it would be stupid for Democrats not to make as big a deal out of this as possible. If they can make Walker look petty, they should push the story as far as they can.

Another day, another thing to be fake outraged about, on either side.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby minicat » Fri Jun 14, 2013 1:40 pm

"Fake outrage"??

The actions of the Walker administration and his minions in the legislature have created much more than "fake" outrage the past few years. Sheesh.
minicat
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Fri Jun 14, 2013 1:50 pm

My point exactly. This story managed to overshadow the much more significant abortion debate in certain areas yesterday. Seems to me that there were things going on that were worthy of actual outrage.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby lukpac » Fri Jun 14, 2013 2:13 pm

http://www.jsonline.com/news/statepolit ... 63791.html

"It's really up to the governor," Sen. Luther Olsen (R-Ripon) said. "If he wants him off, it's not going to happen. If he wants him on, I'm sure it would have happened."

Sen. Dale Schultz (R-Richland Center), a member of the committee, said Inglett would have been unanimously approved if the vote had moved forward.

"This was an ideal opportunity for the governor to provide leadership and substance" by overlooking the signing of the petition, Schultz said.

Perhaps almost unanimously:

Sen. Glenn Grothman (R-West Bend) does not sit on the committee, but he said he interviewed Inglett in his office Wednesday after a public hearing on his appointment. Grothman said he knew Inglett had signed the recall petition but did not bring it up.

Grothman said Inglett was a "nice guy" but he wouldn't have supported his appointment because he did not think he would fight hard enough against what he considers a liberal bias on university campuses.

"I want people who view the strong bias on campus as a problem and I don't think this guy would," Grothman said.
lukpac
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Detritus » Fri Jun 14, 2013 2:21 pm

jjoyce wrote:My point exactly. This story managed to overshadow the much more significant abortion debate in certain areas yesterday. Seems to me that there were things going on that were worthy of actual outrage.

"Managed to?" Or "managed in order to?"
Detritus
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Fri Jun 14, 2013 3:14 pm

"I want people who view the strong bias on campus as a problem and I don't think this guy would," Grothman said.

And here's the problem.

Instead of wanting a range of rational opinions and viewpoints on the Board so that solutions could be found that respect as many of those interests as possible, the Rs want to run everything and the hell with everyone else.

That's not a representative democracy.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bdog » Fri Jun 14, 2013 4:44 pm

jjoyce wrote:If the governor is making the appointment, then it's a political appointment. Signing a recall petition is a political act. A kid who wants to be the student regent is what we referred to in college as a "gunner."

I bet most of your "gunners" were pretty damn bright and strong were they not? Probably even able to stand on their own two feet against real live adults.

Not Inglett according to Erpenbach. He got "picked on" because he was just a college student. Would Erpenbach have used "picked on" if it wasn't a college student appointment? Heck no.

Wow. Just wow. (For Rabs)

Who is Meade?
bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Local Politics & Government