MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Wednesday, August 20, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 76.0° F  A Few Clouds
Collapse Photo Bar

Predictions on morels?

Grocery stores, recipes, cook books, CSAs, farmers' markets, organic, local, processed, corporate. It's a smorgabord!

Predictions on morels?

Postby Broadsheet » Mon May 06, 2013 2:32 pm

Any predictions on when the morel season will be this year? Any sightings? I usually get mine at Peck's on Highway 14.
Broadsheet
Forum Addict

Re: Predictions on morels?

Postby Henry Vilas » Mon May 06, 2013 2:45 pm

If we get more rain by the end of the week, I think they might sprout soon after.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Mon May 06, 2013 3:09 pm

I've heard reports from Michigan, at about the same latitude, that the black variety has been up for a while.
fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Tue May 07, 2013 9:36 am

Warm weather, leaves as big as a mouse's ear, rain coming soon. I think Henry's right.

I found five of them in our backyard the first year we moved in. I left two to spore. Haven't seen another one in twelve years. But Jenny Market usually has them during season.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby kimm » Thu May 09, 2013 11:32 am

My source is out this weekend turkey and mushroom hunting, but doesn't expect too much until next week (when he'll go out again). By next weekend (May 18/19) they should be plentiful, but haven't heard much yet. By Mother's Day we should have reports coming in from the weekend mushroomers.
kimm
Forum Addict

Postby Mad Howler » Sat May 11, 2013 9:14 pm

No signs out in the driftless area a few days ago.
I checked at Miller's grocery out in Verona when I got back, nothing (I hoped to find some to accompany the trout for dinner).
It seems that they are coming in late this year.
Mad Howler
Forum God/Goddess

Postby NullDevice » Mon May 13, 2013 12:23 pm

Soil temperature is the key. We've had enough moisture this spring to prep for 'em but they won't really pop until the ground is warm enough.
NullDevice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Mad Howler » Mon May 13, 2013 9:46 pm

NullDevice wrote:Soil temperature is the key. We've had enough moisture this spring to prep for 'em but they won't really pop until the ground is warm enough.

Good point.
Are there any mycologists amongst us who could help with a soil "degree day" calculation that might help with this prediction?
Mad Howler
Forum God/Goddess

Postby doppel » Mon May 13, 2013 11:03 pm

Found a shroomette today. If it stays warm like it's predicted, could be game on by Friday. The overnight lows for May 17 -19 are predicted to be around 60. Monday the 20th is the day to go: so sayeth Swami Doppel. I think a little more rain in a week or so would help size. South facing hills warm up earliest. Happy hunting.
doppel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Mad Howler » Mon May 13, 2013 11:36 pm

doppel wrote:Found a shroomette today. If it stays warm like it's predicted, could be game on by Friday. The overnight lows for May 17 -19 are predicted to be around 60. Monday the 20th is the day to go: so sayeth Swami Doppel. I think a little more rain in a week or so would help size. South facing hills warm up earliest. Happy hunting.

Thanks for the heads up.
It looks like I will be poking around the forest floor with the kids this weekend.
Just remember that we are heading into the last slot of the spring turkey season this weekend, so remember to put on a bit of blaze orange and be careful.
Mad Howler
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Broadsheet » Sat Jun 15, 2013 11:11 pm

A lot of good it did me to start this string! I missed the entire season.
Broadsheet
Forum Addict

Postby Mad Howler » Sat Jun 15, 2013 11:54 pm

Broadsheet wrote:A lot of good it did me to start this string! I missed the entire season.

I missed it as well.
Those fungi are not so fun if you expect them to play by your own timeline.
As much as it sucks trying to profile the morel and its reproductive behaviour, I did not see a flourish of them at the farmers markets (or Millers) this year.
MH
Mad Howler
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Sun Jun 16, 2013 12:21 am

Mad Howler wrote:As much as it sucks trying to profile the morel and its reproductive behaviour, I did not see a flourish of them at the farmers markets (or Millers) this year.
MH

I haven't been to Farmers Market yet but Jenny Market had what looked like a normal harvest. I won't say how much I spent on those things but they tasted better this year than last.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby doppel » Sun Jun 16, 2013 9:52 am

Just like the Brewers, you have to wait until next year to pick them. The 2013 season is over.
doppel
Forum God/Goddess

Return to Cooking & Food issues