MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
jamesmadisonpark
Thursday, September 18, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 47.0° F  Fog/Mist
Collapse Photo Bar

Ken & Betty's: Yet Another Cheesesteak Hoax?

Where are you eating and what do you think? What's opening, closing, succeeding, failing?

Ken & Betty's: Yet Another Cheesesteak Hoax?

Postby Ned Flanders » Mon Jun 17, 2013 12:59 pm

Anyone with cheesesteak experience been to Ken & Betty's? I read the Isthmus review and am getting mixed signals. First, the reviewer, Lindasomethingorother, outs herself by claiming that the roll doesn't make any difference. Next.

Concerns:

Their menu identifies them as "Real Philly Cheesesteaks..." That's like saying wet water. I'll give them a "pass" on this as most Wisconsinites needs to be educated, but sheesh.

Upon moving here, the owners discovered that "real" cheesesteaks didn't exist in Wisconsin and that the right ingredients were hard to find. Really? Hmmmm.

Their "works" steak contains mushrooms. Disturbing.

The chicken steak is an acceptable nod to healthy 21st century eating habits, but the "taco" steak is an abomination.

Hopeful signs:

The owners seem to be from Philadelphia originally.

They serve Herr's chips and Tastycakes on the side.

The article claims they are importing Amoroso rolls.
Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Ken & Betty's: Yet Another Cheesesteak Hoax?

Postby Stebben84 » Mon Jun 17, 2013 1:34 pm

There was Big Reds on University that just recently closed. They were from Philly and had a lot of stuff shipped in. I had heard from a few native Phillians, that this is the closest they've had around here to the "real" thing.

Ned Flanders wrote:outs herself by claiming that the roll doesn't make any difference. Next.

Agreed.

I looked at K and B's menu and I'm skeptical. Too many things on there besides cheesesteaks. Wraps, and clubs, and salads? Also, you get a cheesesteak with or without certain things. You don't add them as "other" sandwiches on the menu. IMHO

That said, it's in Fort Atkinson, and it would take one fucking amazing recommendation for me to drive there for a cheesesteak.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Mon Jun 17, 2013 1:40 pm

Stebben84 wrote:I looked at K and B's menu and I'm skeptical. Too many things on there besides cheesesteaks. Wraps, and clubs, and salads? Also, you get a cheesesteak with or without certain things. You don't add them as "other" sandwiches on the menu. IMHO.

Agreed. I didn't even want to get into the steak "wrap" or "salad" options. Absolutely criminal. I mean, they might as well be doing live donkey shows in the back room.
Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby green union terrace chair » Mon Jun 17, 2013 1:45 pm

We have all manner of Asian, Middle Eastern and African cuisines here. You'd think someone could master a stupid sandwich from a city less than a thousand miles away.
green union terrace chair
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Endo Rockstar » Mon Jun 17, 2013 1:53 pm

green union terrace chair wrote:We have all manner of Asian, Middle Eastern and African cuisines here. You'd think someone could master a stupid sandwich from a city less than a thousand miles away.

They did -- it closed, and now we have a "sushi express" or some-such-shit in its place. And here I am left craving a steak with wiz every time I have more than 6 beers with no way to feed the beast.

RIP Big Red's

-Dan Motor
Endo Rockstar
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Mon Jun 17, 2013 4:11 pm

The Phillly Cheese Steak argument is among the least interesting ever (also: Chicago Hot Dog, New York bagel, Key Lime pie, San Fran sourdough). The world should just stipulate, for the benefit of any and all Philadelphians who won't shut up about it, that you can't get a legit cheese steak outside Philly and even then, it has to be from Pat's or Geno's. And don't even look at me if you sell Wrigley's gum at the checkout... Trident or it's not a real cheese steak joint! What are those unbleached napkins doing here? Not legit!

I mean, every time I've heard or read any food person do backflips trying to explain exactly what makes a real cheese steak, they essentially admit that every single ingredient needs to be faxed over from Pat's or else it's just not the genuine article. I'm convinced that you could physically move Pat's to Fort Atkinson, complete with the guys who work there and all the ingredients and some Philly guy would walk in, take a bite and yell out, "Not a real cheese steak!"
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Mon Jun 17, 2013 4:33 pm

jjoyce wrote:The Phillly Cheese Steak argument is among the least interesting ever (also: Chicago Hot Dog, New York bagel, Key Lime pie, San Fran sourdough). The world should just stipulate, for the benefit of any and all Philadelphians who won't shut up about it, that you can't get a legit cheese steak outside Philly and even then, it has to be from Pat's or Geno's. And don't even look at me if you sell Wrigley's gum at the checkout... Trident or it's not a real cheese steak joint! What are those unbleached napkins doing here? Not legit!

I mean, every time I've heard or read any food person do backflips trying to explain exactly what makes a real cheese steak, they essentially admit that every single ingredient needs to be faxed over from Pat's or else it's just not the genuine article. I'm convinced that you could physically move Pat's to Fort Atkinson, complete with the guys who work there and all the ingredients and some Philly guy would walk in, take a bite and yell out, "Not a real cheese steak!"

Jeez. First, Pat's and Geno's are tourist traps, so screw those two. Secondly, you hear Wisconsinites do the same with bratwurst, so don't be getting too self-righteous Joycie. My biggest complaint comes when restaurants claim they have "authentic" XXXX, when it's clear from their menu and verbiage that it might not be the case. Labeling it a "Philly" cheesesteak is a dead giveaway for poseurs. That's the kind of mistake you find on a Perkin's menu.

I'm willing to give Ken and Betty's a chance, but wanted to know if any forons made the trip before wasting my time.
Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Mon Jun 17, 2013 5:04 pm

jjoyce wrote:The Phillly Cheese Steak argument is among the least interesting ever

You can say that about barbecue, pizza, and a whole host of other foods. It's not the food, it's the assholes who make that an issue.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Mon Jun 17, 2013 5:13 pm

Stebben84 wrote:
jjoyce wrote:The Phillly Cheese Steak argument is among the least interesting ever

You can say that about barbecue, pizza, and a whole host of other foods. It's not the food, it's the assholes who make that an issue.

Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Mon Jun 17, 2013 5:24 pm

jjoyce wrote:The Phillly Cheese Steak argument is among the least interesting ever...
Yeah! C'mon, everybody! Heaven forbid we stray from such fascinating topics as wondering why people wear vests with pockets or debating which Madison lake is best!

Does this mean Flanders is in danger of losing his coveted spot in your Greatest Forons ranking? I almost hope it does, because I'll bet he's got a hilarious gif for the occasion.
Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:06 am

Ned Flanders wrote:Secondly, you hear Wisconsinites do the same with bratwurst, so don't be getting too self-righteous Joycie.

Not this Sconnie. I'll eat the hell out of a Johnsonville same as one from Jacobson's or one from Black Earth. When it comes to brats, I'm a big tent guy.

Stebben84 wrote:You can say that about barbecue, pizza, and a whole host of other foods.

Really? Ned's point about cheese steaks is different, I think. Like, in order to call it "Philly," you have to serve a certain brand of chips or the same kind of TastyKakes they have in Philly.

The arguments you hear about barbecue tend to revolve around which style is better or preferred. And I've always thought that those of us who don't live in Memphis, Texas or Kansas City are in the best position because we can sample from all of them and they're all BBQ. Nobody is going to challenge a purveyor over, say, what brand of white bread he's serving. "Hell naw! It's gotta be Wonder or this place is fraudulent!"

Same for pizza. There are Chicago-style joints and New York style joints. People from those respective cities might want to talk trash on what's better, but nobody's going to cut on Ian's because they don't serve the exact brand of red pepper flakes as the places in Queens.

Now, have you ever ordered a Plaza Burger at a place other than the Plaza? I have. And it wasn't a true Plaza Burger. The sauce was thick and served in a cup, the bun was gigantic and not wheat and the burger wasn't sliced in half. But the reason it wasn't legit had nothing to do with the burger not being served on a tan plastic plate (or did it?!?!).
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Endo Rockstar » Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:21 am

jjoyce wrote:The Phillly Cheese Steak argument is among the least interesting ever (also: Chicago Hot Dog, New York bagel, Key Lime pie, San Fran sourdough). The world should just stipulate, for the benefit of any and all Philadelphians who won't shut up about it, that you can't get a legit cheese steak outside Philly and even then, it has to be from Pat's or Geno's. And don't even look at me if you sell Wrigley's gum at the checkout... Trident or it's not a real cheese steak joint! What are those unbleached napkins doing here? Not legit!

I was quite severely "poo-poohed" once by an "actual" Philadelphian while singing the praises of Big Red's. I was told that the bread was from the wrong place in Philly, the meat wasn't right, and even something about the paper that it was wrapped in was an atrocity. Then he went on about about a "real" cheesesteak joint would never have something like the cheesesteak eggrolls on the menu. According to him: the place was "a joke."

Of course, I never having been to Philly, and being quite hammered at the time, I told him the best steak in the world was the one in my damn hands at bartime when I want it. And if you never tried the the cheesesteak eggrolls, I actually envy you, because you don't have to deal with the cravings for them now that their gone.

I need to stay off this thread. I've been craving that sodium-bomb of sandwich non-stop.

-Dan Motor
Endo Rockstar
Forum God/Goddess

Postby wack wack » Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:22 am

Stebben84 wrote:There was Big Reds on University that just recently closed. They were from Philly and had a lot of stuff shipped in. I had heard from a few native Phillians, that this is the closest they've had around here to the "real" thing.

Just how close to the real thing was Red's? I went three times and was extremely disappointed each time. I found the flavor lacking and the meat was tougher than I'd expect.

Was this a problem with Red's, or do I just not like Philly cheesesteak sandwiches?
wack wack
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Tue Jun 18, 2013 1:03 pm

jjoyce wrote:Same for pizza.

I seem to recall from the pizza threads on here, people shitting all over our "new york" style pizza as being crap. I've also talked to people who truly believe "new york" style pizza comes from new york.

Ya, barbecue is a bit different, but you here the same thing. "oh, you can't have memphis style bbq in Wisconsin."

With Cheesesteaks, I think it's how you market them whether you should have buns and such actually shipped in from Philly.

wack wack wrote:Was this a problem with Red's, or do I just not like Philly cheesesteak sandwiches?

Depends who you talk to. How's that for a non answer?

jjoyce wrote:I'll eat the hell out of a Johnsonville same as one from Jacobson's or one from Black Earth. When it comes to brats, I'm a big tent guy.

Pfffssst. Hogwash. Klements is far superior from Johnsonville when it comes to mass produced and certain butchers would hands down beat either of those two. Not saying I won't eat any of them and like it, but there are some superior brats out there.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby green union terrace chair » Tue Jun 18, 2013 3:52 pm

The most accurate model of the entire universe would be take up the size of the entire universe. A facsimile or recreation will never live up to the hype of the original. Therefore you'll never find an authentic [FOOD ITEM] outside of [FOOD ITEM'S PLACE OF ORIGIN].
green union terrace chair
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Restaurant News & Reviews