MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Friday, November 28, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 25.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Cheapest hem in town?

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it fits here

Cheapest hem in town?

Postby Dairylander » Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:00 am

I buy all my clothes used, so I don't want to pay $12 to hem a pair of $7 jeans.
Anyone found a really cheap tailor?
Dairylander
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Cheapest hem in town?

Postby snoqueen » Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:10 am

I don't mean to be unhelpful, but you really should look in to learning to sew. You'll spend the rest of your life needing pants hemmed, so you might as well take charge of the whole thing. It's not difficult -- ten year olds can learn to hem pants. I would rank the difficulty level lower than putting up shelving or painting a room.

Once you get the hang of it you can also learn to sew up ripped seams and do other little repairs like fixing a strap on a backpack (which I just did this weekend). The range of used clothing you can buy is a whole lot greater if you can repair little details someone else was too lazy to work on. The only beginner supplies you really need are a scissors and thread.

A perfectly capable used sewing machine will run you less than $25. There's a nice one at Bethesda House of Thrift right now. Take along someone who knows (your mom?) so you get all the parts and you know it works.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bwis53 » Mon Jun 17, 2013 12:09 pm

http://www.hilldale.com/store/right-siz ... 2138827487

Sno is right. Right Size has a sign, next to Metcalfe's, that says: Jeans hemmed while you wait $7.50. I don't think you'll find cheaper.
Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby narcoleptish » Mon Jun 17, 2013 2:52 pm

I just have to ask, why should the fact that you got the pants for a low cost diminish the worth of someones marketable skill?

How many services can you buy for $12 these days. You're getting a pair of tailored pants for under $20. Is that not already a deal?
narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Dairylander » Mon Jun 17, 2013 3:32 pm

Bwis53 wrote:Sno is right.

Of course she is.
I've been sewing since I was 10, we have a machine in the basement.
There are two categories of chores in life: tasks I like doing more than I like my regular job and tasks I like doing less than my regular job.
If I like to do a certain task more than I like my 9 to 5 (for example, working in the yard), I do it myself.
If it's something I'm not keen on (sewing), then I'd rather spend that equivalent time working and earn the money to pay for the service.
$7.50 sounds like a deal.

narcoleptish wrote:I just have to ask...
Nope, you don't.
Dairylander
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Galoot » Mon Jun 17, 2013 3:44 pm

I understand not wanting to set up a sewing machine to do a hem, but doing an invisible hem by hand is pretty easy and kind of fun, too. My mom showed me how to do it when I was a teenager, and I thought it was a cool trick. If you don't know how, there are lots of instructions online.

And I'm too much of a cheapskate to spend even $7.50 on this when I can easily do it myself.
Galoot
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Mon Jun 17, 2013 5:51 pm

There are two categories of chores in life: tasks I like doing more than I like my regular job and tasks I like doing less than my regular job.
If I like to do a certain task more than I like my 9 to 5 (for example, working in the yard), I do it myself.
If it's something I'm not keen on (sewing), then I'd rather spend that equivalent time working and earn the money to pay for the service.

Totally understood.

If I could find somebody to clean the bathroom every couple days, I'd hem their pants anytime.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Dairylander » Tue Jun 18, 2013 6:54 am

That's always been a dream of mine.
Does anyone know what it costs to have a cleaning person come once a week?
Dairylander
Forum God/Goddess

Return to Catch All