MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Friday, August 1, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 81.0° F  A Few Clouds
Collapse Photo Bar

Make Music Madison

Who's making noise in and around Madison? What's new in the business of making music around town? Review shows and CDs here. Please keep all hype in Hype Exchange.

Make Music Madison

Postby jjoyce » Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:46 am

The mayor is holding a presser on the steps of the City County Building at 11:30 on Thursday to talk about Make Music Madison.

Those of us who pay to see local music often have encountered a few weeks out of the year where there's a TON going on and not enough bodies to fill the rooms. You might joke with friends about hoping a certain band goes on first at one club so you can haul ass to another club to see the middle band and maybe a third club for the closer. Of course, that's mainly possible because local shows rarely sell out these days and it's usually possible to just walk up and pay the cover charge at the door at 11.

I wonder how a mayoral press conference, covered by all the mainstream media outlets, might affect such a weekend. I wonder why the city has never officially stood up and touted its current crop of music venues, which generate so much tax revenue and help keep Madison livable. Remember the difficulties faced by places like the Majestic (not just assessed for the square footage under its marquee, but made to pay back taxes on that space) and the High Noon (made to pay back sales tax on cover charges)?

Make Music Madison seems like a good time and an interesting idea. I hope it ends up benefiting those who stick their necks out and present music on the 51 other Fridays each year.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Make Music Madison

Postby Stebben84 » Tue Jun 18, 2013 12:47 pm

jjoyce wrote:I wonder how a mayoral press conference, covered by all the mainstream media outlets, might affect such a weekend. I wonder why the city has never officially stood up and touted its current crop of music venues, which generate so much tax revenue and help keep Madison livable.

I was thinking the same thing. I first heard about this late last week and I was surprised. I keep on on local events and so far the publicity , imho, has been for crap.

I was also surprised that none of the musicians get paid.

I'm curious what musicians think about this event. I realize it's basically an international thing, but somehow I feel like the city's participation is disingenuous.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby talagaster » Tue Jun 18, 2013 1:04 pm

The thing that initially rubbed me the wrong way about this event was that the people behind Make Music Madison acted like it was the city giving some great opportunity to local musicians. It should have been framed as the city asking local musicians to give their time and effort to promote the city. The attitude towards bands of "If you don't want to perform, we'll find amateurs to play instead" seems counter-productive.

A large part of what makes our local music venues great is that they appreciate the artists. This is pretty consistent from the full-time music venues down to the bars that book bands on the weekends.
talagaster
Forum Addict

Postby Stebben84 » Tue Jun 18, 2013 1:11 pm

I found it odd the number of peoples homes listed on the map as venues.

http://map2013.makemusicmatch.org/map.html?id=3
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Tue Jun 18, 2013 3:38 pm

That's one of the cool things about MMM: Music in non-traditional venues. Anyone could sign up to host a gig and any musician who wanted to play could use the matching app to find a venue. I love that about the event, that a musician and a business or homeowner could connect to stage a performance. I was tempted to list our garage and invite the neighbors over. But I might do that some other day, instead.

They ended up with a lot of venues. Look for a complete listing in this week's Isthmus.
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby eriedasch » Tue Jun 18, 2013 5:30 pm

Stebben84 wrote:I'm curious what musicians think about this event. I realize it's basically an international thing, but somehow I feel like the city's participation is disingenuous.

Rick from the MAMAs weighed in back in April:
http://www.madisonmagazine.com/Blogs/Lo ... r-Symptom/
See all the comments from musicians. No one is thrilled about the lack of pay.

Darwin (Frequency) has not been holding back in some Facebook posts - basically does not like it that bands are not getting paid.

I think Rick makes a valid point - how is it that the city can come up with $25K to pay for this event that does not pay bands and has no proven record of doing anything? Yet has never given one dime to the MAMAs (despite how much we all disagree with the voting process) has a proven record of doing a lot for local Madison music - especially donating instruments and all that to kids.

I don't think anyone is against the idea of this event, just that $25K could pay a lot of bands. Funny how all the other festivals, MAMAs, bars, venues can all pay bands without any assistance from the city.

Personally I feel that the $25K and anything else the city comes up with to help promote local music should be rewarded to people in the community who have been busting their butts for years making the Madison Music Scene what it is. Not handing it over to Make Music Madison so they can pay the majority of it to someone (non-musician) to do administrative work.
eriedasch
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Tue Jun 18, 2013 5:48 pm

I agree with Rick. I'd play a MAMAs event for free I wouldn't do this. It's not going to mean anything to Madison's music scene. I don't see many of the major venues or many of the cities bands participating. I see a ton of guys with acoustic guitars and chicks with cellos. That is valid music too but not representative at all of what is actually driving people to see music. Ricks creating new musicians. That's far more valuable than 700 string quartets in church basements and neighborhood garages.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby massimo » Tue Jun 18, 2013 6:06 pm

So rather than encourage anyone and everyone to go out and play, listen to, and enjoy music, Make Music Madison should encourage people to go to established, for-profit music venues to see established, for-profit bands? I'm probably misinterpreting something.
massimo
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Tue Jun 18, 2013 6:12 pm

massimo wrote:So rather than encourage anyone and everyone to go out and play, listen to, and enjoy music, Make Music Madison should encourage people to go to established, for-profit music venues to see established, for-profit bands? I'm probably misinterpreting something.

I'd answer but I can't for the life of me figure out what Make Music Madison is encouraging beyond a short lived orgy of free entertainment.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby massimo » Tue Jun 18, 2013 6:18 pm

I think I agree with you on that, I don't find it particularly exciting or worth the $25k paid to administer it.

But I think some people are wishing it was the city's attempt to Make SXSW Madison, and criticizing its failure to meet that expectation.
massimo
Forum God/Goddess

Postby eriedasch » Thu Jun 20, 2013 12:05 pm

massimo wrote:I think I agree with you on that, I don't find it particularly exciting or worth the $25k paid to administer it.

But I think some people are wishing it was the city's attempt to Make SXSW Madison, and criticizing its failure to meet that expectation.

If the city honestly wanted to make Madison more like Austin they might consider dropping the ridiculous alcohol density regulations unfairly imposed on anyone even considering opening a music venue on State St. or anywhere in their problem alcohol zone.

Woulf says the current ordinance divides new establishments into taverns or restaurants, which makes it difficult for the city to attract new entertainment venues that wish to serve alcohol. In 2011, the ordinance was changed to allow up to seven entertainment venues to apply for special licenses in which they could generate up to 70% of their annual revenue from alcohol sales.

No entertainment venues applied for this type of license.

"Despite our best efforts in trying to address that, we have fallen short in that area," Woulf says.

http://www.thedailypage.com/daily/artic ... icle=40218

The way I interpret the article is instead of doing something about these restrictive regulations on the Entertainment license, they decided to keep the current regs until Jan 2014.

Even without these regulations, I could not imagine taking the risk of opening a music venue on State St. let alone anywhere else in city. Yet where "should" all the music venues be if we want a vibrant scene with any hope of involving the students?

But hey, we have Make Music Madison to look forward to, right?
eriedasch
Forum God/Goddess

Postby eriedasch » Thu Jun 20, 2013 12:10 pm

massimo wrote:So rather than encourage anyone and everyone to go out and play, listen to, and enjoy music, Make Music Madison should encourage people to go to established, for-profit music venues to see established, for-profit bands? I'm probably misinterpreting something.

MMM can do whatever the hell they want, but I think people involved in the Madison music scene for many years are wondering why they are the ones that get the $25K handout with not much accountability.
eriedasch
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Fri Jun 21, 2013 9:20 am

I didn't even realize this was happening on a Friday. I understand it's to coordinate with the solstice, but many of the events are happening during the day when people are working.

Anyone taking off of work to see the music?
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Fri Jun 21, 2013 9:25 am

Stebben84 wrote:Anyone taking off of work to see the music?

I was thinking about it but I don't know if I'd go out in this weather to go to work, let alone party.

If I do go there ain't gonna be no venue hopping.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby hellogoodbye » Fri Jun 21, 2013 9:31 am

The weather is going to mess with the start at 12 noon and may spoil a good amount of the overall planning. I might check out some bands, even with funky rain and such, but I can't drag my kids out in this weather. Mother Nature bats last I guess.
hellogoodbye

Next

Return to Madison Music