MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Wednesday, October 22, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 30.0° F  Fog/Mist
Collapse Photo Bar

a bad sign for voter ID?

Races for the Senate, U.S. House, etc. and other issues of national importance.

a bad sign for voter ID?

Postby snoqueen » Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:00 am

The Supreme Court just ruled 7-2 rejecting Arizona's law requiring voters to prove citizenship with a variety of documents including birth certificates, passports, naturalization papers or Arizona driver’s licenses. Instead voters need to use a simple federal form that asks, “Are you a citizen of the United States?” Prospective voters must check a box for yes or no, and then sign the form, swearing under the penalty of perjury that they are citizens.

Antonin Scalia wrote the majority opinion, interestingly. You'd think he was for states' rights and the general Republican world-view, but sometimes he'll surprise ya.

This isn't the same thing as Wisconsin's presently-enjoined voter ID law, but you know sooner or later one of these ID laws, which do not respond to any demonstrable widespread abuses of voting privileges, will reach the Supreme Court.

So is today's ruling a good sign for voters who are burdened by the Wisconsin law? This would include students, the elderly, those who are in care facilities, those who have difficulty taking off work or getting transportation, and people living where DMV offices are distant or open only very limited hours -- a lot of citizens.

It's a long road to the day we vote in a modern way by mail or internet, but every step helps.

Reference:
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/06/18/us/ju ... ip.html?hp
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 11621
Joined: Fri Feb 14, 2003 11:42 pm

Re: a bad sign for voter ID?

Postby Stella_Guru » Tue Jun 18, 2013 12:44 pm

snoqueen wrote:So is today's ruling a good sign for voters who are burdened by the Wisconsin law? This would include students, the elderly, those who are in care facilities, those who have difficulty taking off work or getting transportation, and people living where DMV offices are distant or open only very limited hours -- a lot of citizens.

It's a long road to the day we vote in a modern way by mail or internet, but every step helps.

Yes, every step helps. Now if we could just figure out how to deal with the sham electoral democracy capitalism and empire have created.
Stella_Guru
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 1216
Joined: Sat Mar 01, 2008 7:08 pm

Re: a bad sign for voter ID?

Postby green union terrace chair » Tue Jun 18, 2013 3:43 pm

snoqueen wrote:Instead voters need to use a simple federal form that asks, “Are you a citizen of the United States?” Prospective voters must check a box for yes or no, and then sign the form, swearing under the penalty of perjury that they are citizens.

The Wisconsin voter registration form asks this question (with the same threatened penalty). Fair enough.
green union terrace chair
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 2889
Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2005 3:33 pm
Location: Memorial Union

Re: a bad sign for voter ID?

Postby Detritus » Tue Jun 18, 2013 5:05 pm

green union terrace chair wrote:
snoqueen wrote:Instead voters need to use a simple federal form that asks, “Are you a citizen of the United States?” Prospective voters must check a box for yes or no, and then sign the form, swearing under the penalty of perjury that they are citizens.

The Wisconsin voter registration form asks this question (with the same threatened penalty). Fair enough.

Great! Then we're done. Can we go back to the laser-like focus on jobs now?
Detritus
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 2432
Joined: Wed May 13, 2009 9:42 pm

Re: a bad sign for voter ID?

Postby Galoot » Tue Jun 18, 2013 5:31 pm

Unfortunately, it isn't a slam dunk I read Scalia's opinion, and he basically told Arizona that they should ask the EAC again to add a requirement for additional documentation to the voter registration form that is required by the Motor Voter Act, and if the EAC rules against them again, then Scalia said they should appeal it to the courts. He even added that Louisiana got approval for such additional requirements from the EAC for their voter registration form.

The whole ruling and opinions are here http://www.supremecourt.gov/opinions/12 ... 1_7l48.pdf
Galoot
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 1453
Joined: Thu Jun 14, 2001 1:10 pm

Re: a bad sign for voter ID?

Postby HawkHead » Tue Jun 18, 2013 5:35 pm

Galoot wrote:Unfortunately, it isn't a slam dunk I read Scalia's opinion, and he basically told Arizona that they should ask the EAC again to add a requirement for additional documentation to the voter registration form that is required by the Motor Voter Act, and if the EAC rules against them again, then Scalia said they should appeal it to the courts. He even added that Louisiana got approval for such additional requirements from the EAC for their voter registration form.

The whole ruling and opinions are here http://www.supremecourt.gov/opinions/12 ... 1_7l48.pdf


Of course since the EAC has no one on it at the moment it might not be as easy to get a quick ruling.
HawkHead
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 809
Joined: Tue Jun 05, 2012 1:29 pm

Re: a bad sign for voter ID?

Postby Galoot » Tue Jun 18, 2013 5:48 pm

Huh. Didn't know that. Thanks, Hawk.

That makes me feel better!
Galoot
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 1453
Joined: Thu Jun 14, 2001 1:10 pm


Return to National Politics & Government

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

moviesmusiceats
Select a Movie
Select a Theater


commentsViewedForum
  ISTHMUS FLICKR
Created with flickr badge.

Promotions Contact us Privacy Policy Jobs Newsletters RSS
Collapse Photo Bar