MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Thursday, September 18, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 50.0° F  Fog/Mist
Collapse Photo Bar

Who should the Dems run against Walker?

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.

Re: Who should the Dems run against Walker?

Postby gargantua » Tue Jun 18, 2013 9:25 pm

Did everybody forget Vinehout? (I'm playing along as though the choice matters). She might be more effective outstate. I thought the main reason she lost in the Democratic primary was that she was little known and underfunded.
gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Tue Jun 18, 2013 9:32 pm

Oh, man, I've got it. Brett Hulsey!

No? Doug LaFollete then?

Sure you don't want to give Kathleen Falk another shot?

The guy looking for work at the entrance to the mall parking lot? At least he'd pay more attention to jobs than Walker does.
gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Mad Howler » Tue Jun 18, 2013 9:47 pm

minicat wrote:
Mad Howler wrote:And as long as I am asking why are both parties of our duopoly so paralyzed?

When have the republicans been paralyzed recently, exactly???? They seem to have no problem overturning rocks and finding extreme candidates to run. On the other side, the dems can't find anyone to beat back even the most extremist creeps (Andre Jacque, etc.).

Yes, I see your point.
Although, I consider a tight leash 'paralyzingly'.
A party of strictly aligned legislators, whom are very fearful, is quite the spectacle to behold.
Mad Howler
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Wed Jun 19, 2013 8:28 am

It's kind of fun watching such a supposedly ultra-disciplined party struggle to produce a budget this week. A fly on the wall of the Rs caucus room might have quite a story to tell. They've got just enough halfway-reasonable members to stall a lot of stuff, though it may not make any difference in the long run.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Marco Polo » Wed Jun 19, 2013 8:42 am

gargantua wrote:Did everybody forget Vinehout? (I'm playing along as though the choice matters). She might be more effective outstate. I thought the main reason she lost in the Democratic primary was that she was little known and underfunded.

Leans a little Pro-Life, Pro-Choice crowd torpedoed her in favor of Falk, would happen again, no matter if she was the best candidate. I voted for her in the Recall primary, and I would do it again. Folksy, smart, charming and honest with a background as a farmer and educator, would be a perfect candidate.
Marco Polo

Postby wack wack » Wed Jun 19, 2013 8:50 am

I'd nominate snoqueen to run against Walker if I thought she'd accept.
wack wack
Forum God/Goddess

Postby minicat » Wed Jun 19, 2013 9:06 am

Marco Polo wrote:Falk

aka, the one who will not, MUST not, be named in any context involving the governor's race.

It's like when you touch the Necronomicon, you have to intone "klaatu barada nikto." I think the words when F--- is accidentally spoken are "tu no run-o"
minicat
Forum God/Goddess

Postby talagaster » Wed Jun 19, 2013 9:18 am

I don't think Vinehout's performance in the recall election is an accurate barometer of her chances in a year-long campaign. But, if she was serious about running, she should get out there this summer. I've met Vinehout and she is incredible when interacting with the public, she should be in the 4-H tent of every county fair in this state. A candidate like her can't Ron Johnson her way through a race with TV ads, she needs to be on the ground talking about cows. Not talking about running, just getting to know people, ala Walker's trips to Iowa.

Overall, I question running anyone from the current legislature, it will make it so easy to turn the election into yet another referendum on unions.
talagaster
Forum Addict

Postby snoqueen » Wed Jun 19, 2013 10:39 am

I'd nominate snoqueen to run against Walker if I thought she'd accept.

I can't even get along with people on the bike path.

Vinehout woud be a good candidate if she spent an hour or two talking with Tammy Baldwin about how to campaign.

KV has been writing articles online ( http://kathleenvinehout.org/ ), submitting solid but doomed bills to the legislature (example: http://host.madison.com/ct/news/local/w ... 7fc57.html ) and gets mentioned in other people's blogs regularly, but if she wanted to take a run at it she'd need to not only start now, but do Tammy's thing of showing up all over the state, talking to people, and never letting up.

Somebody on Facebook has set up a page urging Vinehout to run in 2014:

https://www.facebook.com/KathleenVinehout4Gov
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Francis Di Domizio » Wed Jun 19, 2013 10:52 am

Sno the fact that you think being able to get along with others is important to the job already puts you above most other candidates (not to mention the current office holder).

snoqueen wrote:if she wanted to take a run at it she'd need to not only start now, but do Tammy's thing of showing up all over the state, talking to people, and never letting up.

I think this goes for just about anyone considering a run at this point, unless they happen to be a former US senator, lost the last two general elections for governor or have a last name that is apparently unspeakable.

Most of that group really shouldn't be considering a run anyway.
Francis Di Domizio
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Fri Jun 21, 2013 8:12 am

Dale Schultz.

He could win, too.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Fri Jun 21, 2013 9:37 am

snoqueen wrote:Dale Schultz.

He could win, too.

Wow! Why didn't I think of that? He would have an excellent chance of winning, but I don't know how badly, if at all, he wants the job.

Anyone who beats Walker will, due to gerrymandering, have to deal with a hostile Legislature for their entire term. Nothing but conflict and vetoes. Maybe the current dearth of candidates has something to do with the job itself, as well as Walker's perceived strength.
gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Fri Jun 21, 2013 9:43 am

Unless Schultz changes political parties he'd have to challenge Walker in a GOP primary race. And unless there are a lot of crossover votes in the primary, I don't think he has much of a chance, since Walker is the darling of the Wisconsin Republican voters.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby DCB » Fri Jun 21, 2013 9:48 am

snoqueen wrote:It's kind of fun watching such a supposedly ultra-disciplined party struggle to produce a budget this week. A fly on the wall of the Rs caucus room might have quite a story to tell. They've got just enough halfway-reasonable members to stall a lot of stuff, though it may not make any difference in the long run.

It didn't.

Any squawking was just for show. In the end they all just voted for the whole clusterfuck package. Except for the sane one.
DCB
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Fri Jun 21, 2013 2:23 pm

Schultz could either run as a Democrat (what incentives could be offered?) or an independent. I doubt the state Rs would care to run him if Walker leaves to run for Prez. They'd probably tap somebody like Vos.

Schultz is no liberal. I like his environmental awareness, and being toward the center he could help a lot in mending the mess this state has become. But conventional liberal voters would have to take a deep breath and ask themselves who could win and appeal to a spectrum of voters, not who would represent a progressive viewpoint a la Feingold or Baldwin.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

PreviousNext

Return to Local Politics & Government