MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Friday, August 29, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 85.0° F  A Few Clouds
Collapse Photo Bar

Tracking ended

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it fits here

Tracking ended

Postby doppel » Tue Jun 11, 2013 7:37 pm

In the last couple of days I've noticed that the Forum here is no longer using five tracking services every time a foron views the forum. Google Analytics, Google+, Ad clicker and a couple of others whose names I can't remember. I was going to ask why you did it in the first place and what information you wanted. Never got around to to asking. I learned of these and their cancellation by using the Ghostery add on for Firefox. Ghostery is a great add on as it blocks tracking services from seeing your information. Some sites employ almost twenty different trackers at once.

So Jason, why the change in policy recently and why the tracking in the first place? Have you deleted the information you gathered? Are you still obtaining this information in a way that Ghostery can't detect?
doppel
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Tracking ended

Postby doppel » Thu Jun 20, 2013 12:14 pm

Maybe I should have congratulated you on stopping tracking before I asked you why you were doing it in the first place. Congratulations! Yet you still have not answered any of my questions. I see there was another reply to this topic wondering about your tracking and how it worked posted by Snoqueen. It has been deleted. Did she delete her post or did administration? Please enlighten us about the tracking you employed. Kind of seems as if you are stonewalling on this matter. It's been over a week since I inquired and there has been no response whatsoever. Thank you in advance to your answer.
doppel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Remember_Me » Thu Jun 20, 2013 12:48 pm

I was wondering what happened to her response as well.

I went and got the Ghostery add-on based on your review.

Luvs it.
Remember_Me
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Thu Jun 20, 2013 1:03 pm

Does Chrome have an equivalent.
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Remember_Me » Thu Jun 20, 2013 1:18 pm

Stebben84 wrote:Does Chrome have an equivalent.

Try here.
Remember_Me
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Thu Jun 20, 2013 1:21 pm

Remember_Me wrote:
Stebben84 wrote:Does Chrome have an equivalent.

Try here.

Oh for fuck sake.

Remember_Me wrote:Luvs it.

I found this instead
Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Remember_Me » Thu Jun 20, 2013 2:10 pm

Stebben84 wrote:
Oh for fuck sake.

Oh relax. It was meant playfully.

The only thing I'd recommend with the Ghostery is changing it's pop up time to like a second or two. It's default time was a ridiculous 15 seconds.
Remember_Me
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Thu Jun 20, 2013 2:18 pm

I deleted my own post. I decided it was opening a can of worms and if we wanted to discuss tracking, it might be better done in general terms instead of beating on Isthmus, which after all is our host. I would like to continue the conversation, though.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby doppel » Thu Jun 20, 2013 2:58 pm

Ghostery misses a few trackers now and then. I also run Do Not Track Me at the same time. I try to get as many of those bastards as I can.
doppel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby doppel » Thu Jul 18, 2013 2:23 pm

The tracking has been started back up. The Forum now tracks us with "Facebook Connects", "Google Analytics" And "OpenX". Why do you track us? Why did you quit tracking us and why did you resume tracking us? What information is tracked and how long is it retained?

Jason never answered similar questions. So Mister\Ms new administrator person, what's the scoop? Give us the no bullshit poop. Oops, I forgot to say, pretty please.
doppel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby admin » Thu Jul 18, 2013 5:41 pm

The 'tracking' you are seeing never ended. So I'm not sure why your tools went walkabout.
But it isn't tracking. We really don't care where you come from or where you go from here unless you are a hacker from China, a spammer from Pakistan or a bot from Bangladesh. Even then, we don't really care since we cannot do much about it anyway other than protect our borders.
Specifically, though:
OpenX is an ad server which brings you information about local businesses, entertainment and events.
Analytics is simply a way fro us to see info such as what pages are popular, which browsers are most prevalent on our site and what percentage increases in mobile device views are happening.
And Facebook Connects is their code for allowing us to use the 'Like' button and to show you what articles your 'friends' enjoy here.
Nothing evil, devious or underhanded going on. In fact, we probably do less of this than most of the other websites you frequent. Every website out there now is a collection of local code and third party tools. We strive to ensure we neither host nor attract nasty ones.
Cool?
admin
Forum Addict

Postby Remember_Me » Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:32 pm

admin wrote:Nothing evil, devious or underhanded going on.

Cool?

Hell no it's not cool!

I come here specifically for the evil, devious, and underhanded.
Remember_Me
Forum God/Goddess

Postby doppel » Thu Jul 18, 2013 11:32 pm

Thank you for the fast and thorough reply. Apparently Jason had other things on his plate to clean up. That explains the previous lack of response. I am still wondering if you use any other services. Ghostery and DoNotTrackMe indicated you used at least five "trackers" a couple of months ago. Something seems to have changed. "Whassup wid dat"?
doppel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby admin » Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:20 am

doppel wrote:Ghostery and DoNotTrackMe indicated you used at least five "trackers" a couple of months ago. Something seems to have changed. "Whassup wid dat"?

A couple months ago we were testing Piwik which is similar to Analytics, but locally hosted. While it worked, it didn't do all that much different and it was abandoned.
Also possible that Flickr might put feelers out due to the Isthmus Flickr group that you can see in the right column.
That's all that comes to mind immediately.
admin
Forum Addict

Return to Catch All