Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Skating at Olbrich
Saturday, December 27, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 32.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Marijuana and driving.

If it doesn't fit anywhere else, it fits here

Re: Marijuana and driving.

Postby wack wack » Sat Jun 22, 2013 10:21 am

david cohen wrote:Ummm...I'm going to exercise my 5th amendment rights there, wack. Earrrrrrrrrrrr, you take the wheel!

All I can say is, if your experience shows that driving drunk and driving high are similarly dangerous, the problem for you might be driving rather than either substance!
wack wack
Forum God/Goddess

Postby david cohen » Sat Jun 22, 2013 1:04 pm

well we could have a very lengthy discussion about the psychoactive effects of marijuana, but somehow, I think that would just get everyone bogged down...so that's cool, be careful out there!
david cohen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby AndyMatts » Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:34 am

rabble wrote:From the NIH:
According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, drugs other than alcohol (e.g., marijuana and cocaine) are involved in about 18 percent of motor vehicle driver deaths. A recent survey found that 6.8 percent of drivers, mostly under age 35, who were involved in accidents tested positive for THC; alcohol levels above the legal limit were found in 21 percent of such drivers.

Okay, is there someone with a math background out there to break those numbers down?

I see 6.8 percent test positive for pot, 21% for alcohol, and of course, the old standard: everyone involved was tested, whether they were at fault or not.

If 6.8 percent tested positive for THC, and 18 percent of all accidents involved marijuana or cocaine, doesn't that mean pot is like, way WAY down the list, and most of the people involved in accidents didn't test positive for anything?

Also "testing positive" does not mean or imply "impaired by."

The big difference between alcohol or cocaine and MJ, in my completely unqualified opinion, is the lowering of inhibitions, increase in aggression for the first two, which makes any kind of impairment that much more of a problem.
AndyMatts

Previous

Return to Catch All