MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Friday, August 22, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 77.0° F  A Few Clouds
Collapse Photo Bar

Feds Investigate Wis DOJ official for Gun Sales

Please limit discussion in this area to local and state politics.

Feds Investigate Wis DOJ official for Gun Sales

Postby Stu Levitan » Sat Jun 08, 2013 5:29 am

This could get interesting.
Stu Levitan
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Feds Investigate Wis DOJ official for Gun Sales

Postby david cohen » Sat Jun 08, 2013 12:49 pm

You mean the top Wisconsin DOJ brass aren't allowed to skirt Federal Law with regards to firearms? Careful with that "whistle", Eugene!
david cohen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby lukpac » Fri Jun 14, 2013 11:21 pm

This seems awful timely:

A Republican lawmaker plans to introduce a sweeping gun bill that would prohibit Wisconsin law enforcement from enforcing federal laws regulating guns and ammunition, and exempt guns made and distributed in Wisconsin from federal commerce laws.

“In recent months and weeks, there have been multiple pushes in the federal government and among other states to unconstitutionally prohibit certain types of firearms, firearm accessories, and ammunition,” Rep. Michael Schraa writes in a memo to fellow lawmakers seeking support for the bill.

Amusing take:

State Rep. Chris Danou, D-Trempealeau, says with Wisconsin's “dismal performance we’ve had over the past couple of years as far as job creation, (the bill) strikes me as kind of misplaced priorities."

A former police officer, Danou says that in some cases federal law trumps state law, and he's also concerned about putting law enforcement personnel in a position of breaking federal law to uphold laws passed by the state.

"It’s pretty much been settled I would say, and last I recall the Union won the Civil War," he says.

http://host.madison.com/ct/news/local/w ... ea724.html
lukpac
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Sandi » Fri Jun 14, 2013 11:44 pm

So, it is ok for the Feds to run guns, but not the states?
Sandi
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Sat Jun 15, 2013 9:01 am

Sandi wrote:So, it is ok for the Feds to run guns, but not the states?

Can you point me to someone not currently under arrest or investigation who thought it was okay?
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Sat Jun 15, 2013 11:05 am

A follow up to lukpac's post: Rep. Michael Schraa gets bellyfull on Facebook over gun proposal

David M. Rosenberg: How dare you try to punish Wisconsin police and physicians for working to keep our streets and our citizens safe. The vast majority of Wisconsinites, including gun owners and NRA members, support the gun reforms that we know will save lives. Stop attacking proven public and personal safety measures, and start protecting Wisconsin. As a pediatrician, it is important to council parents about unlocked guns. I frequently come across families that have unlocked guns where children can find them!

Merle W Bailey: You are simply playing with political division to the detriment of all the people of Wisconsin. More and more voters are understanding what this Republican coup is about and it will be stunts like this that will shift the balance regardless of you gerrymandered districts.

Mike Tuten: What have you been drinking? This is one of the most insane ideas to come out of this GOP legislative body!

Crystal Hoecherl: How does forbidding a doctor from asking a suicidal or homicidal patient whether they have access to firearms protect the second amendment? Any law that comes between a patient & their doctor violates Wisconsin values. Any law that violates the right of freedom of speech is unconstitutional & will just cost the taxpayers of Wisconsin millions of dollars in legal fees.

Rose Sime: Each day there seems to be something more crazy than the day before coming from the Wisconsin Legislature and this is right up there among the craziest. Rep. Schraa says he wants this bill to send a message about Wisconsin’s values. I think he has NO idea what the people of Wisconsin value.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:24 am

A former police officer, Danou says that in some cases federal law trumps state law, and he's also concerned about putting law enforcement personnel in a position of breaking federal law to uphold laws passed by the state.

"It’s pretty much been settled I would say, and last I recall the Union won the Civil War," he says.

Not according to certain gun nuts: Bucky in a Confederate uniform? No way, says UW
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Sun Jun 30, 2013 10:11 am

Expert: DOJ rules call for investigation of agent

The state Department of Justice will be violating its own policies if it does not launch an internal investigation into allegations that a top official engaged in illegal gun sales and manufacturing, a law enforcement expert said.

Dan Bethards, a 14-year veteran of the Division of Criminal Investigation who made the allegations, also charged the DOJ put out false information about his credibility and whether the federal criminal investigation into Jay Smith’s activities will result in criminal charges.
The policy and procedure manual for the Division of Criminal Investigation states that “all alleged or suspected violations of laws, ordinances, rules, regulations or orders brought to the administrator’s attention shall be investigated.”

Yet the DOJ spokesperson said that is only a guideline. If it was a guideline, it wouldn't say shall, but would say can investigate.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bdog » Sat Jul 20, 2013 9:33 am

update

The AP filed open records requests for both Smith and Bethards' disciplinary files. The DOJ said no such records exist for Smith, indicating he has never been formally disciplined. Some of the documents in Bethards' file underscore the animosity he felt toward Smith and show repeated violations of DOJ email policy.

"Nobody in the DOJ has received more verbal, written and days off without pay reprimands than me," Bethards wrote in a March 2011 email in the file. " ... When they would ask, Bethards, did you call that man an (expletive), I would say no sir, I called him a (expletive-expletive), sorry about that, I will try harder and do better in the future, then take my punishment and move on. ... Integrity."

bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby david cohen » Sat Jul 20, 2013 1:40 pm

Dis, distract, destroy- that's what they gov't. does to whilsteblowers. Thanks for being complicit.
david cohen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby lukpac » Sat Jul 20, 2013 2:45 pm

bdog wrote:update

Probably a disgruntled liberal.

Bethards also forwarded messages disparaging President Barack Obama, mocking Islamic terrorists' turbans and urging Americans to learn about and stop "Islamic behavior." He received a message joking about blowing up prophets in Afghanistan using land mines that look like prayer mats. The sender titled the message, "This is bad but good." Bethards replied, "Just good!"

Oh.
lukpac
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Sat Jul 20, 2013 2:54 pm

It could be the expected attack on a whistleblower, or it could be a longstanding interpersonal workplace dispute that blew up and the guy, knowing he was about to get canned, tried to get out in front of it and take the offensive by going public. Or he could be a genuine long-time troublemaker and disciplinary problem. Or instead his boss could be the genuine long-time troublemaker.

Maybe nobody's hands are entirely clean.

We just don't know and can't tell from here. Just wait and watch. There isn't a news source up there I am sufficiently familiar with to believe without reservation.

All I know is I'm glad I don't live up there and never had to do any business with that office.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Francis Di Domizio » Sat Jul 20, 2013 4:26 pm

snoqueen wrote:It could be the expected attack on a whistleblower

Seems like a long time to plan out an attack just in case he decided to blow a whistle at some point.
Francis Di Domizio
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Thu Dec 05, 2013 8:54 pm

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Return to Local Politics & Government