MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus:         Newsletters 
Thursday, December 25, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 33.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

Obamacare hiccup

Races for the Senate, U.S. House, etc. and other issues of national importance.

Obamacare hiccup

Postby Huckleby » Tue Jul 02, 2013 6:50 pm

Conservatives are partying because Obama has decided to delay the employer mandate until 2015. They see it as Obamacare coming apart at the seams, and Obama is desperately delaying accountability past 2014 elections.

An employer mandate is a stupid and unnecessary part of Obamacare. Delaying it is a big boost for the success of Obamacare, with any luck they will weaken it further. The real point of Obamacare is to end the system of employer-provided insurance, get everybody managing their own health care on an exchange. If employers don't have to provide health care, it helps Obamacare succeed. It's true that a revenue source is lost, but it was a modest one.
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Obamacare hiccup

Postby Bludgeon » Tue Jul 02, 2013 7:38 pm

Huckleby wrote:Conservatives are partying because Obama has decided to delay the employer mandate until 2015. They see it as Obamacare coming apart at the seams, and Obama is desperately delaying accountability past 2014 elections.

An employer mandate is a stupid and unnecessary part of Obamacare. Delaying it is a big boost for the success of Obamacare, with any luck they will weaken it further. The real point of Obamacare is to end the system of employer-provided insurance, get everybody managing their own health care on an exchange. If employers don't have to provide health care, it helps Obamacare succeed. It's true that a revenue source is lost, but it was a modest one.

Are you by chance a paid social media 'blogger'? Forum to forum, just spreading the talking points? Why do you never answer that question?
Bludgeon
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Tue Jul 02, 2013 7:47 pm

No, I'm not a paid agent. But I appreciate the compliment. Aww shucks.
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:22 pm

Bludgeon wrote:Why do you never answer that question?

That's pretty funny, coming from the great ignorer of questions. :-)
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby david cohen » Wed Jul 03, 2013 7:50 am

or shrewd political move to take away the GOP's only issue prior to the 2014 mid terms;)
david cohen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Wed Jul 03, 2013 7:55 am

I don't them taking time to get it right although I'd prefer a system that moves away from employer based insurance. That would require employers paying higher wages though so the worker could afford to buy on the private market or a public option. And that isn't going to happen.
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Wed Jul 03, 2013 9:46 am

fisticuffs wrote: That would require employers paying higher wages though so the worker could afford to buy on the private market or a public option.

The idea behind Obamacare is that people can get health care on their own. Very low income get medicaid. People above $15K in income get subsidies to buy insurance on the exchange on sliding scale.

Obamacare amounts to a giant boost in the minimum wage.
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Wed Jul 03, 2013 9:50 am

Is anyone surprised?
Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby DCB » Wed Jul 03, 2013 10:08 am

Huckleby wrote: Very low income get medicaid.

Unless they get fucked over by their state legislature.
Huckleby wrote: People above $15K in income get subsidies to buy insurance on the exchange on sliding scale.

Which they probably won't be able to afford, even with the subsidy.
DCB
Forum God/Goddess

Postby wack wack » Wed Jul 03, 2013 10:10 am

Huckleby wrote:Obamacare amounts to a giant boost in the minimum wage.

But it doesn't... an actual boost in minimum wage would require the business to cover that cost. You know, here in America where businesses do everything entirely and completely on their own, no help from the people or government.
wack wack
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Wed Jul 03, 2013 10:51 am

This appears to be a cheap ploy to get this disaster past the mid-term elections.
Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Wed Jul 03, 2013 1:58 pm

DCB wrote:Unless they get fucked over by their state legislature.

True. But political pressure is on side of accepting medicaid money, Repubs will pay a political price. There will only be a handful of states not expanding medicaid within 5 years.

DCB wrote:
Huckleby wrote: People above $15K in income get subsidies to buy insurance on the exchange on sliding scale.

Which they probably won't be able to afford, even with the subsidy.

In general, the subsidies on the exchange are quite generous. The most legitimate criticism is that Obamacare subsidizes up to 400% of poverty to garner political support with middle class. Maybe they will trim that back to 300% someday.

At the low end, we'll just have to wait and see. Certainly what Walker has done - expecting people just above the poverty line to get insurance on the exchange - is nuts. For states that expand medicaid, I think the working class and poor will be OK.
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Wed Jul 03, 2013 2:03 pm

wack wack wrote: But it doesn't... an actual boost in minimum wage would require the business to cover that cost.

From the worker's perspective, it doesn't matter whether the boss or Uncle Sam is helping them get health care. I would argue that Uncle Sam is guaranteeing them a much more solid and stable deal.

As an advocate for single payer health care, why don't you see it as a good thing that health care costs are being transferred to the government under Obamacare?
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Wed Jul 03, 2013 2:07 pm

Ned Flanders wrote:This appears to be a cheap ploy to get this disaster past the mid-term elections.

Maybe it is politically driven: Hurray! Score another win for forces of light!

I see it a little differently. Its creating better policy.

BTW, Susan Collins, a Republican from Maine, introduced legislation to fix the employer mandate, raise the minimum hours for a full time worker from 30 to 40. Sounds like a good idea to me, but problem is most REpublicans won't cooperate in improving Obamacare, so legislation has no chance.

The employer mandate is a peripheral and counter-productive aspect of Obamacare. I support any effort to weaken, delay or eliminate it.
Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby wack wack » Wed Jul 03, 2013 2:31 pm

Huckleby wrote:As an advocate for single payer health care, why don't you see it as a good thing that health care costs are being transferred to the government under Obamacare?

Honestly, my post was much more a comment on my disgust with the "business before people" culture and systems than it was on the merits (or not) of Obamacare.

But to answer your question simply (and genuinely, no snark): Obamacare is not single payer.
wack wack
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to National Politics & Government