MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Tuesday, September 30, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 49.0° F  Overcast
Collapse Photo Bar

40-year-old cheddar

Grocery stores, recipes, cook books, CSAs, farmers' markets, organic, local, processed, corporate. It's a smorgabord!

40-year-old cheddar

Postby Henry Vilas » Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:38 am

Supposedly the oldest ever sold.

Cheese lovers rejoice: Recently discovered 40-year-old cheddar to be sold

When Edward Zahn decided in May to close his cheese shop in Oconto, he made a discovery that is going to drive cheese lovers more bonkers than the 15-year-old cheddar released by Hook's Cheese in Mineral Point in 2009.

In the back of his walk-in cooler, Zahn, 73, found several wooden boxes of cheddar cheese from the now-closed County Line Cheese in Oconto that over the years had repeatedly been buried by incoming cheese products.

The result is 40-year-old cheddar that makes up part of what is likely the oldest collection of cheese ever assembled and sold to the public, according to experts.
The 28- and 40-year-old cheddar cheeses will be available beginning Oct. 6 at Wisconsin Cheese Mart, 1048 N. Old World Third St., Milwaukee.

The cheeses will only be available at the store. The store will host a 28-year cheddar block cutting party, beginning at 11 a.m. Oct. 6 and including tastings and appearances by the cheesemakers.
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Re: 40-year-old cheddar

Postby Crockett » Thu Aug 30, 2012 11:07 am

I'd take unpasteurized, 10-day old cheese any day over 40-year old cheese.

Cheese is supposed to be alive yet we regulate its death and heap praise on its mummified corpses.
Crockett
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ilikebeans » Thu Aug 30, 2012 11:24 am

"Aah, how about cheddar?"
"Well, we don't get much call for it around here, sir."
"Not much ca-- it's the single most popular cheese in the world!"
ilikebeans
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Thu Aug 30, 2012 1:21 pm

Crockett wrote:I'd take unpasteurized, 10-day old cheese any day over 40-year old cheese.

I'm pretty thankful I don't have to choose one or the other, what with both being yummy and all.

As much as I'd love to try this cheese, I just can't see spending that kinda scratch on a hunk of cheddar. I splurge on a block of good 5-year @ Brennan's every few months or so, but even that stuff makes my wallet wince, and this will be something like 16 times as expensive. Yikes!

And now, let's hear it for cheese!
Time for Timer!

...and Onions!

Hello!
Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Mad Howler » Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:23 pm

I think this story is pretty awesome, I hope it won't be disappointing. I really hope the kids at CALS are all over this opportunity, as it could bring some new and interesting "angles" to Kraft singles.
Mad Howler
Forum God/Goddess

Postby AndyMatts » Fri Jul 05, 2013 10:31 am

Mad Howler wrote:I think this story is pretty awesome, I hope it won't be disappointing. I really hope the kids at CALS are all over this opportunity, as it could bring some new and interesting "angles" to Kraft singles.

I'm guessing that it will be disappointing. When reading about Hook's heavenly 15-year cheddar, they noted that the vast majority of anyone's cheese is unsuitable for that kind of aging (also part of the explanation why is isn't inedibly "sharp."

The enzymatic action that gives cheese it's sharp flavor is part of the life cycle to going bad or being inedible.

A super-aged cheese is will be awesome is one that has been meticulously monitored and babied through its life, not something that's found in an ignored/discarded box somewhere.

Still, much like Kopi Luwak, I'm sure the saps who pay through the nose to eat some will probably not be inclined to admit to being foolish, if it is less than impressive.
AndyMatts

Return to Cooking & Food issues