MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters 
Wednesday, July 23, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 68.0° F  A Few Clouds
Collapse Photo Bar

Processed Meats Too Dangerous to Consume

Grocery stores, recipes, cook books, CSAs, farmers' markets, organic, local, processed, corporate. It's a smorgabord!

Processed Meats Too Dangerous to Consume

Postby Beaver » Fri Jul 05, 2013 3:47 pm

Processed Meats Declared Too Dangerous for Human Consumption
http://dreamhealer.wordpress.com/2013/0 ... nsumption/

"The World Cancer Research Fund (WCRF) has just completed a detailed review of more than 7,000 clinical studies covering links between diet and cancer. Its conclusion is rocking the health world with startling bluntness: Processed meats are too dangerous for human consumption. Consumers should stop buying and eating all processed meat products for the rest of their lives.

Processed meats include bacon, sausage, hot dogs, sandwich meat, packaged ham, pepperoni, salami and virtually all red meat used in frozen prepared meals. They are usually manufactured with a carcinogenic ingredient known as sodium nitrite. This is used as a color fixer by meat companies to turn packaged meats a bright red color so they look fresh. Unfortunately, sodium nitrite also results in the formation of cancer-causing nitrosamines in the human body. And this leads to a sharp increase in cancer risk for those who eat them."
Beaver
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 2457
Joined: Fri May 04, 2001 9:57 am
Location: Building a dam in the river

Re: Processed Meats Too Dangerous to Consume

Postby Steve Vokers » Fri Jul 05, 2013 4:10 pm

You can have my bacon when you pry it from my cold, dead mouth.
Steve Vokers
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 1102
Joined: Tue Oct 07, 2003 11:58 am

Re: Processed Meats Too Dangerous to Consume

Postby Detritus » Fri Jul 05, 2013 4:29 pm

Detritus
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 2352
Joined: Wed May 13, 2009 9:42 pm

Re: Processed Meats Too Dangerous to Consume

Postby Bwis53 » Fri Jul 05, 2013 4:33 pm

Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 6289
Joined: Tue Dec 31, 2002 9:39 pm
Location: Bay Creek

Re: Processed Meats Too Dangerous to Consume

Postby Beaver » Fri Jul 05, 2013 8:42 pm

Thanks for the WCRF link. So it increases bowel cancer risk. "We would say that if people can't cut out processed meat completely they should cut down."
Beaver
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 2457
Joined: Fri May 04, 2001 9:57 am
Location: Building a dam in the river

Re: Processed Meats Too Dangerous to Consume

Postby Sandi » Fri Jul 05, 2013 10:29 pm

Got to die of something, it may as well be food.
Sandi
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 1495
Joined: Sun Jul 17, 2005 11:31 pm

Re: Processed Meats Too Dangerous to Consume

Postby TeachInPeace » Fri Jul 05, 2013 10:36 pm

So - the bacon in my freezer, from a hog that lived across the road from some friends of mine, which was processed at a local butcher and never left the premises, is good to go, right?

Know your farmers. Know where your food comes from.
TeachInPeace
Senior Member
 
Posts: 68
Joined: Tue Jun 05, 2012 9:12 am

Re: Processed Meats Too Dangerous to Consume

Postby O.J. » Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:20 am

Beaver wrote:Processed Meats Declared Too Dangerous for Human Consumption
http://dreamhealer.wordpress.com/2013/0 ... nsumption/

"The World Cancer Research Fund (WCRF) has just completed a detailed review of more than 7,000 clinical studies covering links between diet and cancer. Its conclusion is rocking the health world with startling bluntness: Processed meats are too dangerous for human consumption. Consumers should stop buying and eating all processed meat products for the rest of their lives.

Processed meats include bacon, sausage, hot dogs, sandwich meat, packaged ham, pepperoni, salami and virtually all red meat used in frozen prepared meals. They are usually manufactured with a carcinogenic ingredient known as sodium nitrite. This is used as a color fixer by meat companies to turn packaged meats a bright red color so they look fresh. Unfortunately, sodium nitrite also results in the formation of cancer-causing nitrosamines in the human body. And this leads to a sharp increase in cancer risk for those who eat them."


They conveniently leave out the fact that sodium nitrite is used to prevent the spread of botulism. Like pretty much any foodstuff, the key is consumption in moderation. It must suck to live your life in constant fear, Beav.
O.J.
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 2980
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2007 10:13 am

Re: Processed Meats Too Dangerous to Consume

Postby Beaver » Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:12 pm

Thanks for the sodium nitrite tip but I don't live in constant fear. I simply asked here about two articles I've read recently. Many people and experts say it's best to avoid meat. Ever hear of vegetarians and vegans?
Beaver
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 2457
Joined: Fri May 04, 2001 9:57 am
Location: Building a dam in the river

Re: Processed Meats Too Dangerous to Consume

Postby gargantua » Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:17 pm

Beaver wrote: Many people and experts say it's best to avoid meat. Ever hear of vegetarians and vegans?

No, I haven't. What in the world are you talking about?

Sheesh.
gargantua
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 3961
Joined: Sat Apr 13, 2002 1:30 pm
Location: Madison

Re: Processed Meats Too Dangerous to Consume

Postby Dairylander » Tue Jul 09, 2013 5:25 am

If anyone has any real interest in this topic, rent the documentary "Forks Over Knives." It shows with solid science that Beaver is not only correct, but understating the issue.
Dairylander
Forum Addict
 
Posts: 421
Joined: Mon Jun 08, 2009 12:30 pm

Re: Processed Meats Too Dangerous to Consume

Postby snoqueen » Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:44 am

In addition to preservatives in cured meats, there's evidence another compound, carnitine (naturally present in red meat, not added) is related to heart disease:

http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/2013/ ... icrobiome/
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 11287
Joined: Fri Feb 14, 2003 11:42 pm

Re: Processed Meats Too Dangerous to Consume

Postby green union terrace chair » Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:51 am

Honestly, any years you get over age 40 are bonus time and the result of the competing factors of things civilization has come up with to improve health or damage it.
green union terrace chair
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 2847
Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2005 3:33 pm
Location: Memorial Union

Re: Processed Meats Too Dangerous to Consume

Postby Michael Patrick » Tue Jul 09, 2013 11:43 am

Beaver wrote:Ever hear of vegetarians and vegans?


I always assumed beavers were vegetarians. Unless they are rabid.
Michael Patrick
Forum God/Goddess
 
Posts: 3937
Joined: Wed Sep 03, 2003 8:56 am
Location: Around here somewhere

Re: Processed Meats Too Dangerous to Consume

Postby Dairylander » Tue Jul 09, 2013 4:28 pm

Michael Patrick wrote:I always assumed beavers were vegetarians. Unless they are rabid.

I had an encounter with a rabid beaver in college.
I'll never go back to The Plaza Tavern at bar time.
Dairylander
Forum Addict
 
Posts: 421
Joined: Mon Jun 08, 2009 12:30 pm

Next

Return to Cooking & Food issues

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

moviesmusiceats
Select a Movie
Select a Theater


commentsViewedForum
  ISTHMUS FLICKR

Promotions Contact us Privacy Policy Jobs Newsletters RSS
Collapse Photo Bar