MOBILE USERS: m.isthmus.com
Connect with Isthmus on Twitter · Facebook · Flickr · Newsletters · Instagram 
Saturday, September 20, 2014 |  Madison, WI: 72.0° F  Light Rain
Collapse Photo Bar

Blacktop on Memorial Union Terrace

What are the things that puzzle, enrage, delight and tickle you as you go about your life in Madison?

Blacktop on Memorial Union Terrace

Postby sylvie » Sun Jul 07, 2013 12:27 pm

Went down to the Terrace last night for the first time in awhile yesterday and noted some unhappy changes. The walk by the lake has been expanded and covered with ugly black top, There were a gazillion new tables and chairs on the black top going almost all the way to the Red Gym and huge Union food carts (the size of buses) near the water - or so it seemed.

Is this going to be permanent? At least I would hope the black top would be removed and a better looking pavement put in. And the huge food carts don't do much for the tranquility of the lakeside scene. It appears the Union is ruining the setting by attempting to milk every last dollar out of it.
sylvie
Forum Addict

Re: Blacktop on Memorial Union Terrace

Postby Detritus » Sun Jul 07, 2013 12:48 pm

No, that stuff is all temporary. You can find design renderings for the renovation project here.
Detritus
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Unionian » Sun Jul 07, 2013 7:17 pm

The blacktop is temporary until the next phase of the restoration of Memorial Union and the creation of Alumni Park. It is definitely NOT permanent. The link on the Union's website includes the weekly construction blasts. http://unionreinvestment.wisc.edu/

The cart on the east side of the Terrace is a pilot to test the interest and demand for food on that side of the space (so far, it's been popular). If there is a permanent food stand placed there during the restoration, it will not look like the temporary cart. Eventually, we hope and plan the cart will be able to serve special events, like Badger Bash at Union South, as well as maybe bring Terrace brats and Babcock ice cream to events on campus or special programs. In the meantime, it looks like there's a lot of demand for the cart this summer and next, as well as the special Wisconsin craft beer counter right next to it.
Unionian

Postby green union terrace chair » Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:15 pm

Unionian wrote:The blacktop is temporary until the next phase of the restoration of Memorial Union and the creation of Alumni Park. It is definitely NOT permanent. The link on the Union's website includes the weekly construction blasts. http://unionreinvestment.wisc.edu/

The cart on the east side of the Terrace is a pilot to test the interest and demand for food on that side of the space (so far, it's been popular). If there is a permanent food stand placed there during the restoration, it will not look like the temporary cart. Eventually, we hope and plan the cart will be able to serve special events, like Badger Bash at Union South, as well as maybe bring Terrace brats and Babcock ice cream to events on campus or special programs. In the meantime, it looks like there's a lot of demand for the cart this summer and next, as well as the special Wisconsin craft beer counter right next to it.

Can you do something about the utter darkness of the condiment counter by the brat stand? I thought I was gonna get mugged back there the other night. And applying accoutrements to one's sausage in the dark isn't a satisfactory experience, as my brat with pickle relish and bbq sauce can attest to.
green union terrace chair
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Detritus » Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:18 pm

green union terrace chair wrote:Can you do something about the utter darkness of the condiment counter by the brat stand? I thought I was gonna get mugged back there the other night. And applying accoutrements to one's sausage in the dark isn't a satisfactory experience, as my brat with pickle relish and bbq sauce can attest to.

Maybe the rest of us prefer to be in the dark when you're applying accoutrements to your sausage.
Detritus
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jman111 » Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:23 pm

green union terrace chair wrote: I thought I was gonna get mugged back there the other night. And applying accoutrements to one's sausage in the dark isn't a satisfactory experience...

Sounds like an Olin-Turville experience.
jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Postby green union terrace chair » Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:29 pm

Detritus wrote:
green union terrace chair wrote:Can you do something about the utter darkness of the condiment counter by the brat stand? I thought I was gonna get mugged back there the other night. And applying accoutrements to one's sausage in the dark isn't a satisfactory experience, as my brat with pickle relish and bbq sauce can attest to.

Maybe the rest of us prefer to be in the dark when you're applying accoutrements to your sausage.

I wasn't the only one. And some lady got kraut in her chardonnay. Last time that happened millions died.
Forum God/Goddess

Postby O.J. » Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:32 pm

green union terrace chair wrote:
Detritus wrote:

I wasn't the only one. And some lady got kraut in her chardonnay.

You sound a little too pleased about that, Mr. Chardonfreude.
O.J.
Forum God/Goddess

Postby green union terrace chair » Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:42 pm

O.J. wrote:
green union terrace chair wrote:I wasn't the only one. And some lady got kraut in her chardonnay.

Guess I just got caught up in the saurgeist.

Saurvergnügen?

I'm done.
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Detritus » Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:55 pm

green union terrace chair wrote:
O.J. wrote:
green union terrace chair wrote:I wasn't the only one. And some lady got kraut in her chardonnay.

Guess I just got caught up in the saurgeist.

Saurvergnügen?

I'm done.

Well, that's a happy ending, then.
Detritus
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:44 pm

University humor.
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Unionian » Tue Jul 09, 2013 8:06 pm

I'm checking on the lighting issue. I think it has to do with lights on the Theater Wing of the building that aren't functional yet, but will try to let you know.
Unionian

Postby rabble » Wed Jul 10, 2013 2:03 pm

Apparently Sylvie wasn't the only person asking. There's a board sign on the pavement out near the goodspeed pier that says the blacktop is only temporary and will be replaced with something more appropriate when it's all finished.
rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby O.J. » Wed Jul 10, 2013 2:21 pm

rabble wrote:Apparently Sylvie wasn't the only person asking. There's a board sign on the pavement out near the goodspeed pier that says the blacktop is only temporary and will be replaced with something more appropriate when it's all finished.

I propose a wooden boardwalk, constructed from one of the ruined, millenium-old trees around the Capitol.
O.J.
Forum God/Goddess

Postby green union terrace chair » Wed Jul 10, 2013 6:00 pm

O.J. wrote:
rabble wrote:Apparently Sylvie wasn't the only person asking. There's a board sign on the pavement out near the goodspeed pier that says the blacktop is only temporary and will be replaced with something more appropriate when it's all finished.

I propose a wooden boardwalk, constructed from one of the ruined, millenium-old trees around the Capitol.

Millennium? Heck, those trees were here before the ice age.
Forum God/Goddess

Next

Return to Town Vibe